News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waterman - July 7-8, 2012

Started by Patriot Gal, July 10, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot Gal

Can you say "Hottest day of the year?".....I know you can!!!

We had 10 stout hearted and persevering students arrive at Waterman early on Sat. morning, ready for a weekend of rifle marksmanship instruction and to hear the history of April 19th, 1775.  Up went the canopys, out came the various coolers of water and gatorade!  Safety briefing was completed by Karl and the students were off to bring their rifles to the line. 

The morning sped by aided by shooting sighter squares, steady hold factors, sling use, Ball and Dummy, NPOA, IMC finished off by the first strike of the match at noon.  Instructors Karl, Hasenpheffer, Steck and miner49r, and Castle Mountain kept the students' noses to the grindstone. 

The afternoon brought AQTs and other drills to improve accuracy.  Can you say "trigger control drill"?  Although the temperatures were climbing, we stayed under the canopys for all instruction along with breaks and limited the time out in the sun to the preparation period, course of fire and checking the targets. 

Lunch brought the first strike of the match by Karl and a new rifle out for use....the Rifleman Making Rifle!   And sure enough, it worked its magic.  Joe scored an impressive 214 with a followup reconfirmation of 225.   ^:)^  Congrats Joe!!! (I don't think it was all the rifle).   ;)  The afternoon saw the second strike of the match as presented by Hasenpheffer.  Our day was cut short due to a severe squall blowing in and threatening to lift all the canopys off the gound and carry them away!!  So we left early to resume again on Sunday.

Sunday brought a much welcome break in the high temperatures and we were able to continue through the marksmanship, education, the history and to try our hand shooting KD out to 100 yds.  Everyone had a good time and were impressed they could shoot out so far!!! O0  All but one student returned on Sunday as we contined with excellent student education for shooting through th AQT.  This along with the KD shooting, a cadence/NPOA drill, shooting out some targets for the prize of winning a flag like those worn during the Revolutionary War!  Shooting KD to 100 yds was a lot of fun.  Each participant had opportunity to shoot their rifles, given the proper come-ups.  Some even had a change to try KAY's .309!  Now, that was fun!!! 

We finished up the day by awarding another Rifleman patch to Eleanor!!!  Nice job there, young lad!!! We had three youth work hard the entire weekend and will be receiving their Appleseed Youth patches.  Congrats to Jack, Danny and Garrett!!  You make us proud!!!

Thanks the students who all braved the oppressive heat make this yet, another great Appleseed weekend!!

More pictures will follow!!
Thanks everyone, for all you do for Appleseed!!!

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Castle Mountain

Indeed this was a very special group of shooters who braved, no endured insufferable 106` temperatures
you all revealed great perseverance. Kudos to everyone for such a fine effort. What a great bunch of students
who came with the most teachable of attitudes. Moreover, what a splendid crew of instructors. You guys
just rock  ..:... It was a fun time. Sorry I had to leave you for 40 mins for the AC, a late night and the heat near put me out.
But what a great enjoyable shoot and nice community of fine folks. A memorable Apple seed for sure.

Thanks for coming. You fine folks are the reason we keep coming back. Thank you Kay for giving the four
youngsters the opportunity to shoot your gorgeous .308 rifle. Pardon the pun but they were almost blown away
by the joy of the experience. They all proved they are capable to shoot KD and they were as much surprised by
their own performance as we were excited for them.

Congratulations Miner on accepting the Orange Hat Looks mighty splendid on you
sir with that HOT PINK shirt. You looked really cool .  You certainly displayed the
resultant knowledge of your recent IBC in Wisconsin. Coly Cat, Dfly and JoeZ would have been proud of you. Karl did a bang up job,
Steck it was a real pleasure to have worked with you. We have heard so much about you from Muti, I am glad
we had the opportunity to meet you and your husband and look forward to seeing  you on the trail again soon.
Huggy Bear Haufenpepper you were splendid with the kids and as always a pleasure and great help.

I sure look forward to seeing you folks again.

Warmest regards, and best wishes to you all. Remember to practice dry firing eh?

Castle Mountain

Here are some of the pics, more to follow

*edit by Patriot Gal*   Sorry, Hasenpheffer.  Castle Mountain just will not pronounce your name correctly.  I call him "Norm" (Crosby) sometimes!! :slap:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Amber Waves

>:D So who brought the cool signs?  I Like It!
Can I use that idea, cause they are über functional as brass breaks, too. 
So... FYI take credit now. O0

miner49r

What can be said that hasn't been said already? To have endured the heat the participants at this Appleseed were durable and dependable Americans.

Congratulations to Joe and Eleanor on earning their well deserved Riflemen patches.

As always. It is great making new friends and re-meeting old friends. Patriot Gal, Castle Mountain, Karl, Steck and Hasenpheffer. I look foreward to seeing you all soon. Give yourselves a pat on the back for another safe and successful Appleseed. Everyone in attendance left more knowledgeable and standing taller as better Americans. Myself included.

Best Regards,
Alan

Freedom:
Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States.
Noah Webster

"When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, it's always the patriots who first hear the call."
Charlton Heston

Boston

Thanks for the great weekend! I had a great time and it was a memorable weekend. Thanks to everyone involved for making it such fun time. Looking forward to coming back to my next shoot and hopefully getting my rifleman patch.

It was great to see two people get their rifleman and even better to watch a the young shooters (some first timers) have a great time. The course was well run and shooting the steel from 100 yards was a great way to enjoy some shooting at something other than the 25 yrd targets.

Keep up the great work! Thanks again.

Prairie Eagle

Wow, what a scorcher!  Had I  been in town, I would have been there but I was away on a roadtrip. It is great to see some of the faces I met at my first time at the June Waterman event were back in the pics.

I'm hoping to make time for this weekend in Bonfield. I want to  have a go at a requal with my AR that I picked up (darn you Stonn for letting me try yours ;D ).

Congrats Miner on taking an orange hat, and to Joe and Eleanor on making rifleman!

Karl

I'm thankfull that everyone took care of themselves, stayed hydrated and used the shade to your advantage on Saturday.  ;) Sunday by comparison was picture perfect.

Miner, thank you for taking the Orange hat.  O0

Steck, Hope your shoulder feels better :'(

Hasenpheffer, why didn't you just call yourself rabbit stew? Well at least it rhymes with Dr. Pepper  @)

Congrats to our newest Riflemen... Joe and Eleanor. I hope to see you guys on the trail soon. :cool2:

Castle Mountain& patriot Gal...It's always great to see you guys.

To all of the other attendees..... I have two words.... Dry fire.....It's cheap.....it doesn't require any driving to a range and can be done between dinner and desert.  ^:)^ I guess that was more than two words. :shootself:

Being that I'm camera challenged I do not have any pictures to share. I feel my shame grow as I type this  :-[

See you on the trail,

Karl
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

Steck

Another terrific Appleseed, thank you Patriot Gal for your leadership!   :bow:

Once the technology is figured out, some of the .308 pictures will be up ... in a day or three ... and to think, Joe, you thought maybe your sons might not like rifles   **)

The biggest miracle of the weekend?  There was water left over Saturday night.

Hasenpheffer

Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain, despite the HOT HOT HOT weather you guys are amazing.  All the shooters and instructors made this one of the best shoots yet.  A little work, a common goal, lots of fun and good friends.  What's not to like?

P.S.

I think we should call this one "THE SIZZLE SEED"

Castle Mountain

More pictures from last weekend. Enjoy. The shooters were amazing. To think Karl brought
21 gallons of Gator Aid and water plus two ice containers of water combined with our two
and everyone else's supply of water and we still had left overs? Amazing. We drank till we thought our
kidneys would float, but still I took one bathroom break and that was not until 7pm. All the guzzling I did
and most went to sweat. Go figure. Still was not enough.
Thank you Karl for the gator aid. And thanks to Joe and Hausenpepper for bringing us the opportunity to teach your boys.
They were all a joy and treat to teach> Imagine. Not one single muzzle sweep this weekend. Thank you Toronado for the inspiration
to find a solution to the problem. The CD disk is available for copy.

Cheers,
CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

colycat

I am guessing it will be this hot when we reach the hottest month of August.  Start lining up some cover now.

Btw, has anyone noticed who the SB is for the 8/4 shoot.  I think that I might shoot this one and see if I can still score RM.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Prairie Eagle

I heard from Castle Mountain and Patriot Gal who will be at the 8/4 shoot in Waterman today (thanks again Castle Mountain for turning around my day of disaster with the AR and making her run smooth like Butter!).

If he is the shoot boss, wow, I can't miss a chance to meet him! I'll be taking my 10 year old girl to her first AS. I probably won't shoot myself as I'd like to start helping out and spend time with her or free up someone else to do so.

ChiMike

Hi, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.  But I'm going to go ahead and do so.

Much to my surprise my wife and oldest daughter (12) both expressed an interest in learning to shoot.  As a family we are basically complete beginners (I've taken a couple NRA classes over the years, and own guns, but never actually shoot them).

Would Appleseed be a place I could introduce my family (and re-introduce myself) to shooting?  I'm not sure if Appleseed has a desire to put up with neophytes.

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: ChiMike on July 15, 2012, 04:48:17 PM

Hi, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.  But I'm going to go ahead and do so.

Much to my surprise my wife and oldest daughter (12) both expressed an interest in learning to shoot.  As a family we are basically complete beginners (I've taken a couple NRA classes over the years, and own guns, but never actually shoot them).

Would Appleseed be a place I could introduce my family (and re-introduce myself) to shooting?  I'm not sure if Appleseed has a desire to put up with neophytes.

ChiMike, welcome to Appleseed. Absolutely, Appleseed is the perfect place to get into shooting, and re-acquaint yourselves with our American heritage at the same time. It is perfect for kids as the pace allows for them to build these skills over 2 days. It is run very safely teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship. The shooting is typically done with .22s which have almost no recoil, and little noise. I guarantee if you can set aside the time, and come willing to learn you will not regret it!

I will send you a private message with my cell phone number. Please give me a call, I would love to share my experiences (I am very new to Appleseed as well). I will be at the Waterman, IL (About 45 minutes west of the west suburbs) Applessed coming Up August 3rd and 4th.  In fact, I'll be bringing my 10 year old daughter Samantha, and my wife to their first appleseed!

Dave