News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marion, IL - October 18-19, 2014

Started by dond, October 19, 2014, 06:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

This is mostly a placeholder. We did begin yesterday with about 24 shooters and some excellent looking targets. The shooters ages ranged from 9 to 90.  O0 We expect great things today.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Mutti

Another Marion Appleseed in the books. Pictures to follow tomorrow, but wanted to mention a few items left behind on the Range:

1) Lethargy
2) Apathy
3) Laziness

We tossed them in the trash, so don't bother looking  :) - just continue on your Journey to Rifleman.

Mutti
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RifleMann

It was a good time, with competent and friendly instructors. I look forward to being at the Nov. 28-29 shoot. The 29th is my birthday!
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt

Mutti

So many great photos linked to excellent Memories from this weekend. A few to follow and please add your own!

Still shuffling my notes, but wanted you all to have a chance to chime in  ;D

Below - fastest choosing of Forum Name evvveeerrrrr!

So Mr. J - PBJ Squirt Gun is available if you're not quick  &)

More photos as time permits here

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

KD Cat

Quote from: Rayne on October 21, 2014, 11:18:52 AM
Sorry to hijack your AAR, but I can't decide if those blue arrows are photoshopped or were they actually there for a purpose?  If they were there for a purpose can you explain it to me?

The arrows were photoshopped on flickr. This Saturday morning Redcoat, was shot with a borrowed rifle from the shoot boss. The arrows show what the shooter described to an Instructor, that he was constantly off to the right. Also that after his magazine change, he did not re-aquire his sight picture.

Hope this helps,

KD Cat

When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

RiflesnReins

Hello all,

Wow! Another amazing Appleseed at the Egyptian Rifle and Pistol Club has flown by. The weekend may have started off a little chilly, however throughout the entire event we had perfect shooting weather.  I would like to first thank our Posterity for coming to learn about their History and Heritage. Jaelyn, CJ, Sheila, Brody, and Olivia. HUZZAH! ..:..

As always, it was a pleasure to see familiar faces and commit new ones to memory. I would like to compliment our fine Instructors on the detailed and outstanding History presented over the weekend.  I try to remember the names and faces of everyone I meet at Appleseed, however sometimes that becomes difficult. So if below I have not mentioned your name, I apologize.

Mrs. Patty: Thank you for coming out and showing us what persistence really means. I enjoyed having the privilege of working with you again. I look forward to the next Appleseed you attend.

Jaelyn: That was a very nice pink Ruger you had there young lady. Dry practice, dry practice, dry practice, and I guarantee you will be nailing those squares every time.

Mrs. Meghann: First of all, thank you for letting Mr. Jason come out this weekend. You are such a busy lady! I'm sure you will be able to attend both days eventually. Keep up the good work, because I look forward to seeing you get the Rifleman's Patch. O0

Sheila: YEAH! We remembered meeting you in Billings this spring. Thank you for driving all the way over here to attend another shoot. See you again on the trail.

Mr. Larry G: I hope you enjoyed this weekend as much as I did! You were doing excellent, up until the point everything caught up with you. I hope to meet you again.

Mrs. Susan: As this was your second Appleseed, you definitely used your previous experience to prepare. Also, you dry practiced, which drastically improved your results. HUZZAH! I'm glad you had fun with KD (Little blue garden gnome anyone? **)). I am eagerly anticipating your next shoot.

Mr. Carlos: I was happy to see another familiar face at this Appleseed. Thank you for not only returning to another Appleseed, but also for seventh stepping to bring another person with you.

Mr. Lonnie aka RifleMann: You Sir, brought a sense of humor along, as well as a teachable attitude. Congratulations on making Rifleman, it was more than just the rifle who was accurate. Also, a big HUZZAH for stepping up and taking the Orange Hat. Welcome to the Illinois Appleseed Family, we are privileged to have you among us. See you in Effingham! %)

Mrs. Sandy: WOW. You persevered, throughout the entire weekend. I know that when it came to the transition stages, things got frustrating. However you continued to work forward. Thank you for coming out and spending a fantastic weekend with us.

Mr. Randy: I remember you from some of my very first Appleseed's! Thank you for coming out, time after time, and always bringing along someone to share the experience with. I really appreciate that. I look forward to working with you again. :bow:

CJ: Thank you for two things. One, for posing with Mutti to honor the Memory of William Roarke. Two, for traveling all the way down from Chicago, by train, to come to this Appleseed. You are always welcome on our Line.

Brody: Ohh yes. We remember you...... You are the live definition of EPIC. -:)  I'm glad you came back Sunday, even after that take-down Ruger of yours was giving you a hard time. Wear that William Diamond Patch of yours with pride.

Mr. Aaron: I'm glad you thought so highly of Appleseed, that you decided to attend another one. I highly suggest dry practice. It will bring your scores up.

Ms. Olivia: I believe this was your first Appleseed, and I hope you had as much fun as I did. Hope to see you at another shoot.

Mr. Jason: I would like to thank you. You, single handedly filled at LEAST half the line. With either family, or friends. Congratulations on the Rifleman's Score, and on taking the Blue Hat. I really appreciate all you do for Appleseed in Illinois.  :)

I hope to see each and every one of you all again sometime!

RnR aka T.E.
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

KD Cat

Hello everybody!

What a wonderful shoot! Saturday was cool with a slight wind in the morning, however it warmed up into the perfect Appleseed weather. Mrs. Susan, Mrs. Patty and Mr. David: It was a pleasure to see you all again! Mrs. Susan you improved all day long, and you have defiantly improved since the Ladyseed in Carmi, that was proven by your AQT score of 190! Mrs. Patty you where rocking the squares all day long! You three have truly shone what persistent is all about, and I hope to see you at further Appleseeds!  Congrats to  RifleMann on achieving your rifleman score! I'm sure that you will become a wonderful instructor.  Congrats to Mr. Jason on shooting the rifleman's score and stepping up and taking the blue hat!(P.S The Spotted Elephant is still up for a form name if needed!)
And last(But not least)thanks to all the instructors who came out to help teach!

Can not wait to see you all again!

KD Cat
When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

dond

There were so many good things about this shoot. Many have already been mentioned. Mrs. Patty earned a warm spot in everyone's hearts. At the age of 90 she persisted through two full days of shooting, and insisted on walking down to check out her targets with the aid of a walking cane. And they were good targets too.

Riflemann shot a Rifleman's Score with a bolt action rifle on the very first AQT at his first AS. His highest score was a 223. And then he surprised himself by how well he shot at 100 and 200 yards with his .22 on an NRA 100 yard target. He was instructed to go up 5 MOA at 100 yards and an additional 14 MOA at 200 yards. At 100 yards, all 10 of his shots were in the black and 4 were in the X, which was a 1 5/16 inch circle. And the 200 yard target was good also. Then he took an Orange Hat.  ^:)^ Appleseed is lucky to have him.

The Instructors were all experienced and did a marvelous job.

And as usual, the Egyptian Rifle and Pistol Club was most helpful and a delight to work with.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

GooseGun

With 24 attendees on Saturday & 22 I believe it was on Sunday, It made Marion a very fun shoot. And all the attendees had a very good teachable attitude.
:) :)
GooseGun over and out.
I am convinced that they are mad men, devoid of reason. There is no logic in this place -Me

"A computer is useless if it can't be thrown out the window."

C Kerley

This was my 2nd Appleseed this year, and again, I learned something.  Each time an Instructor would give his directive I would make a mental note to make a written note later. 

I also learned that I could not get my Rifleman score with a factory Ruger Mini-14!  That darn super wide front sight and 8.5 lb trigger fought me all day...but I proudly went home with a 199 and 203!  Oh, and after I remedy those two issues, I'll see you again in Marion!

RiflesnReins

Quote from: C Kerley on October 21, 2014, 07:54:56 PM
This was my 2nd Appleseed this year, and again, I learned something.  Each time an Instructor would give his directive I would make a mental note to make a written note later. 

I also learned that I could not get my Rifleman score with a factory Ruger Mini-14!  That darn super wide front sight and 8.5 lb trigger fought me all day...but I proudly went home with a 199 and 203!  Oh, and after I remedy those two issues, I'll see you again in Marion!

I'm glad you learned, that means we are doing our job. Cannot wait to see you in Marion then!

RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

Mutti

How wide is that front sight  :))

Take a ruler and????
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

imadentist

I would like to thank all the shooters and instructors for coming out on what turned out to be a very beautiful weekend for kindling the fires of liberty in all of our hearts.  We had an outstanding group of shooters, friendly, attentive, just a joy to be around.  The SoIL/KY instructor corps is first rate and it was a joy to work with y'all again.  Friends, beautiful weather, liberty, and rifles..it just does not get any better! I thank God everyday that I was born into this great country, let's keep it free!
Russ/IMA

Big John

Very impressive weekend, both on the shooters' parts and the instructors' parts. The weather was perfect, the range was a great facility, we made some riflemen, and got some more volunteers for the cadre.

I was the most impressed with the attitudes. Everyone was in the spirit to improve and succeed. Sometimes, one or two people just want to quit because they are not having fun, but the only people who stopped (not quit, but stopped) were those that were just too bushed to continue, and the universal comment was "I'd love to continue, I'll be back, but I'm just done in."

The road to rifleman is different for every person; and some have more bumps, and some are longer. As long as you are making progress towards it, I'm happy for you. As long as you want to continue, we're here for you. Everyone can shoot that score, just keep improving.

Even more important than the marksmanship is the history. But, even more important than that is being involved with this great country. We have an election coming up. Get informed, learn who and what is on the ballot, and vote your conscience. You can't vote for a county recorder with an informed mind if you don't know what the recorder does. It's not my business who you vote for, and it's not Appleseed's business being a non-political organization, but I can encourage you TO vote, and vote with an informed mind. Apathy is sinking our nation, please help fight it.