News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Vienna Fish and Game Club, Vienna, Ohio - August 4th and 5th, 2018

Started by Invictus Maneo, August 06, 2018, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invictus Maneo

A great weekend with a great group of Americans, both Instructors and Shooters alike.

I can not begin to thank enough the Vienna fish and Game Club and PAM, Bob and Bob and all of the other members that helped with this past weekend's very successful shoot. Pam as always is the absolute best hostess. What other shoot have you ever attended and received "Fabulous Departing Gifts" for all of the shooters. The Two dollar bill ritual is also a very nice and unique touch. Without the clubs and members offering up their clubs and support, Appleseed would not be what it is today.

Thanks to Joe, Tom, Tom, Ron, Lew, Pam and Roger for doing such a great job AND covering for me while I went to my special place. Tom, thanks for picking up the Shoot Boss slack, Ron for taking such great care of your ladies Evelyn and Marge and all of the rest of the Instructors for just being great folks. You all are a pleasure to work with. Congratulations to Tom S. for his promotion to IIT2 and Lew for his promotion to IIT4. Also a big thanks to Lew, Pam and Tim B for help with the elixers for my pain.

The shooters were an amazing group of folks to work with and watch succeed and improve. I am sure that this is the first Appleseed event that I have worked where ALL targets scored were high quality. Also so many close scores which I am sure will go over the top soon. It was also nice to see friends, families, the young and the young at heart persevering all weekend considering the heat and humidity. Evelyn and Marge deserve a special mention for hanging tight all weekend. They both were inspiring while perspiring (Sorry, my mother always said women do not sweat, they glow.)

Redcoats were cleared by numerous people numerous times which was impressive in and of itself. Jeff, Justin, Frank and Dom all cleared one and Brian M. cleared ALL FOUR! I am sad to say that we only had one new Rifleman patch to give out and that was to Brian M. But do not despair campers, no less than 7 people earned 12 re-qualifications which was quite the feat. Frank and Brian B. each once, Dave, Dom and Justin twice each and Brian M. three times (four if you include his first, new qualification). It did not come as much of a surprise when Brian also qualified shooting a 241 to earn the very elusive Distinguished Patch, Next stop for Brian M. is the "250" patch.

Thanks to all for such great weekend. Hope to see you next year or stop over to Western PA. There are shoots in Slippery Rock and Beaver Falls coming up soon. Also keep in mind Orwell, Coshocton, Salem and New Philadelphia in Ohio.

Be safe and Peace,
Lee
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
- Mahatma Gandhi

�Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.�
- Ronald Reagan

�Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.�
- Plato

"My Son, Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won."
- William Wallace

BrianMilo

This was my very first Appleseed, and it absolutely blew my expectations away! The instructors were all top notch and were very generous with guiding you on how to improve your scoring. I thought I was coming to a little plinking fun shoot however, what I recieved from this program was so very much more. Sure, I learned proper shooting positions and techniques, as well as how to use a GI sling. BUT, the history of not just the program, but our heritage on how we became a country really made me reflect, from day one up to present tine.  Tom is such the historian recollector (not story teller, this is truth), that I often could see the happenings as he told it in my mind eye.  I honestly "felt" inside the emotions of fear and joy and the exhilaration of the beginnings of our country.  If this program was offered as a few hours of just straight instructional shooting and history, it'd be an absolute bargain!  In the two days, the camaraderie and brotherhood that just happens, and pride and understanding of what it means and what it took to become Americans, it something that will forever stay with me throughout my lifetime.  This program has my utmost respect as well as the men and women who take their time to put it on. I thank you all, instructors and fellow shooters, for one of the most amazing weekends I have had in a very very long time. 

Crazyduckhunter

Without venues like the Vienna Fish and Game club throughout the country Appleseed would have a very hard time existing. Having a gun club that has been a long time supporter of Appleseed is very comforting. I believe I heard 8 years and running of hosting events at this club. A great big thanks!!

What a great group of Americans that showed up and stuck with us this hot and humid weekend. Everyone came ready to drink from the Appleseed fire hose of instructions. And, the shooting skills improved greatly as shown by the impressive scores by all.

Birdman

What a great event! Fellow citizens of like mind came together this past weekend. Most did not really know what to expect, like Brian mentioned above. I hope everybody arrived home safely with a new appreciation of what was in the hearts and minds of the colonists of 1775.  Thanks to every one of you that spent the weekend with us. You all did a REALLY GREAT JOB! The weather was brutal! You all stuck with it.
Thanks to all the Instructors-it made for a very easy and very enjoyable event. And lastly, thanks to Pam for being a remarkable host! We all appreciate it very much!

Snow Snake

Invictus,
In spite of multiple Appleseed events,nine years in the US Navy and two world's fairs,I don't know about the two dollar bill ritual.Could you please help with my incomplete education and explain?
                 Ken................. :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

MsMtnEagle

Ken, allow me to explain the $2 bill ritual. I purchase $2 bills for the Vienna Appleseed Shoot each year. When a participant earns a rifleman patch I give them a $2 bill along with the info such as the date they earned it, their rifleman score, the shoot boss  the location, and their name. Since the $2 bill has the signing of the Declaration of Independence on the back, I think it is fitting to give one to each RIFLEMAN so that they can remember about the history and heritage that brings us all together at an Appleseed. It also serves as a reminder if they need to order another patch as all that info is required. ☺️ It was my pleasure to give out 5 of the special $2 bills at this year's event! I can't wait to see what next year brings!
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"

Snow Snake

WOW.  What a great idea.Another reinforcement to our history and a personnel memento.I'll probably go to the bank tomorrow.
    Ken......... :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Texas T

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

What a way to start the weekend, by clearing a Redcoat, right out of the gate
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Then moving on to some basic instruction

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

By the end of the day, a we noted that there were some among us who, "knew full well what they were about" and few more Redcoats had been taken care of...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

We started off the second day showing that no one had forgotten their lessons...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

During the course of the day, many either qualified or requalified...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

As the day got warmer, we took a break to discuss the concepts of known distance...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

We even had one shooter hit a perfect "210"...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

The remainder of the afternoon revealed several more who met the "Rifleman" challenge...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

We even had one who earned the "Distinguished" patch, as well as clearing his fourth Redcoat.

:snipersmi

Way to knock it out of the park      ^:)^

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Closing out the day, we recognized those who will "carry it forward"

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

We all knew that it was warm, but really...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Seriously though, many thanks to Pam, Bob, Bob and the club, for making this one of many successful shoots at Vienna.   :F

MI IBC, February 2017

MsMtnEagle

I was just trying to keep Roger from overheating! He was sitting way up high on that throne and everyone knows that heat rises.  :yeahthat: :))
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"

Invictus Maneo

Roger on a THRONE!!!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
We'll not have that here in America. We threw those THRONE lovers out 242 years ago. Maybe Roger on a pedestal!! After all, he has shot 250! :---

Thanks again for hosting a really great shoot. Vienna is always one of my favorites shoots.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
- Mahatma Gandhi

�Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.�
- Ronald Reagan

�Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.�
- Plato

"My Son, Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won."
- William Wallace

Corvette

Wow, looks like I missed one heck of a shoot.  Congrats to everyone for making this a special event. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!