News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rainbow, CA, October 1st/2nd 2011

Started by 4Posterity, October 04, 2011, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Posterity

Here is a start to the after action report for the Rainbow California Appleseed event.  I'll be back in a while with more details, but Feel free to add you comments in the mean time

Mark
To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

Irish

So much fun.  Did not think it was possible to become that good of a shot that quick.  So glad I came back Sunday.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Babycakes

This was my first Appleseed! I have to admit I learned a lot, not just about shooting but about our history! It was a wonderful experience I got to meet a lot of new people. I came out of this event with more knowledge of history and knowing that one person can make a huge difference in the world. Also became a better shooter :D thank you to all the wonderful appleseed instructors!! You guys are truly the cream of the crop! You guys stayed positive and motivated me to do better!! Even in the hott sun! I will surely come out to more events and get a 210!! As well as bringing more people out with me! Absolutely awesome!! I have nothing but positive comments about the wonderful instructors!

4Posterity

Now for the nitty-gritty.  We had another wonderful Appleseed Event at L.E. Duncan's Rainbow Range in Northern San Diego County.  First of all, thanks to all of the IITs and Instructors who came out of the woodwork to assist at this event.  As of last Monday it was looking like Jshoebot and I were going to be hopping taking care of 21 students.  Saturday morning came and we had 7 instructors on hand!

Next, what a great group of students.  We had a full firing line with every available space filled by a student.  Our group had a good mix of returning students intent on improving their marksmanship, those new to the Appleseed Project, some military folks (thanks so much for what you have done and are doing for our country!), a good batch of youth shooters, and some Dangerous Old Men.  A couple of students even told me that they were back primarily for the compelling history presentations, making the dangerous old shoot boss feel pretty good about things.  We also had one student arrive in full Revolutionary War period attire, and we will talk about his weekend later.

Saturday morning started off with the Pledge of Allegiance, and then on to our first Red Coat of the weekend.  The results showed that we had a broad spectrum of skill levels on the line, much work to do and plenty of room for improvement.  The instruction and practice proceeded apace, and by noon all were ready for a lunch break and some history and heritage stories in the shade.

It is really nice when everyone stays for lunch and the history presentations, and even nicer when some of the youthful students are heard telling others that the lunch stories are their favorite part.  Well, we held everyone riveted, teetering on the edges of their seats through the stories of the Battles of Lexington and Concord and the exploits and sacrifices of that day.  As a history presenter it is very rewarding when the students participate, ask questions and make comments during the presentations.  Logan, our reenactor, provided a special touch with his obvious passion for the Revolutionary War, his familiarity with the persons and places of the story, and his lilting Scottish accent.  (Look out V, you have competition!).

I didn't notice the wind, but there must have been some dust blowing 'cause I noticed several students (and an instructor or two) surreptitiously wiping some debris from the corners of their eyes.  Thanks to Justin and Leonidas for assisting with the Three Strikes.

Refreshed from lunch, and invigorated by the stories our students headed back out to the line for additional instruction and the first AQT of the weekend.  Brad, now known as "bravoecho" came through with a strong Rifleman's score of 230,  the first of the weekend.  The afternoon Redcoat confirmed our suspicions of significant improvement in the marksmanship of our students.

We had a number of Luther Blanchard patches to hand out at the Benediction, and of course a Rifleman's Patch and California Rocker for Brad/bravoecho.  Everyone headed out for some much-deserved rest and re-hydration, except for Brad who remained behind to talk to me about becoming a volunteer instructor. Despite my warnings of all the rigors and sacrifice required of our RWVA Instructors, Brad insisted on obtaining an Orange Hat.  Congratulations Brad, and thanks so much for stepping up to become yet another Volunteering American teaching other Americans of their heritage, history, and of course marksmanship!  (just kidding about he rigors and sacrifice stuff, the RWVA is the most rewarding volunteering experience I've ever had)

Sunday morning arrived with a good crowd of students, including several who had only planned attending on Saturday.  A quick redcoat, some refresher demonstrations and then on to put all that knowledge and experience to work on some AQTs.  The day was quite warm and humid, so we took an early lunch and moved into the shade to cool down, load sustenance, and share some stories of a few dangerous old men and liberties daughters of the Revolutionary War.  You know, every time we start mentioning Dangerous Old Men everyone looks at me.  What's up with that?  Dunno, but the stories were good, and that pesky dust condition again sprang up somewhere near the end of the Wedding Portrait that Never Was.

Back to the line, a green zombie round then on to the AQTs.  We saw lots of improvement and some pretty good scores being posted. 

Logan was having a good time, but appeared to be stalled in his progress and a little frustration started to creep into the picture.  He looked to be doing everything about right, but his pace and cadence reminded me of my attempts at dancing (ever see Steve Martin in the movie "The Jerk"?)  A couple of us spent a few rounds beating him over the head with the Rifleman's Cadence stick until he relented and agreed to try just one round our way.  He shot the round, then told me that he was pretty sure his score would be terrible, and then we walked down to see a bunch of nice, tight little groups all clustered around the middle of the target outlines.  We snatched the target away before he could try to score it, and made him do it again and again.  The result?  His score climbed from about the 125 range to over 200, including the qualifying 210 he shot when he relaxed, trusted his NPOA and committed to his Rifleman's Cadence.

Stormn (Norman) brought his daughter Krista out for a go at here rifleman's patch.  In case you don't know Norm, he and his family are true Appleseed heros.  Norm, his young son Zack, and his older son Robert are all riflemen and Orange Hats in the program.  Sheri is one of the original Blue Hats and a logistics and administrative blessing to the program.  Krista came out absolutely determined to shoot a qualify score for her Dad.  I mean she was serious about it, SERIOUS.  Early Sunday afternoon she came oh-so-close-but-not-quite with a couple of rounds over 200, then got really intensely serious and shot a round with a score obviously well over 210.  She ripped the target down, ran it over to us to score (yes, ran), and when we wrote the official score and "Rifleman" comment at the top she literally hopped and skipped down the line to inform her Papa what she had done.  Krista had told us that she really wanted to qualify for her dad, and the look of accomplishment on her face next to the look of pride on Norm's face would have been more than enough to make the whole weekend totally worthwhile.

We ran through a few more AQTs and a final Redcoat.  The last Redcoat was a testament to how far our students had come in their marksmanship as the scores had about doubled since Saturday morning.

At the close of the event we talked a little more heritage and history, then brought out some AQT targets of note.  I'll let Logan, now aka "Irish" tell the story, but we kept him dangling bringing out his AQTs with scores of 195, 205, 206, 207 and finally his 210 and a rifleman's patch for his efforts.  In deference to his hand-made leather vest, leggings and other accouterments we lightly spritzed him with North Bridge water instead of the customary dousing.  I got about half-way through asking Logan if he would consider taking an Orange Hat when he blurted out that he would absolutely love to be an Appleseed Instructor.  Thanks and congratulations Irish!  I know that you will be an asset to the program.

Next came Krista.  No surprise here as Norman had already made certain that everyone knew that a fourth member of his family had earned her rifleman's patch.  Krista also ponied up to ask for the Orange Hat, which Norm most proudly affixed to her head.

We had many student promise to return, and to return with seventh-stepped family and friends.  If you are interested in the December Rainbow Appleseed I advise that you sign up early as I can feel another sold-out event in the making.

A very special thanks to all of our students who made the weekend so rewarding for the instructors. 

Now get busy and post some of those photos that you all took, and let's hear back from from some of the students!

Your Friend,

Mark
4Posterity

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

StormN

I am not the photographer that Sheri is but here is few of the more notable pictures from the weekend. Thanks to all that attended as well as the instructors and Mark. Mark you are correct in the proud father statement. Krista made me very proud by taking the day to come out and shoot and to top that with a Rifleman score ( besting Dad's and Zach's scores) and than accepting the orange hat. Hvaing issues with the computer , 3rd try for the pictures, hopefully they will make it. Norm
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

StormN

One or two pictures at a time
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

StormN

Thomas Jefferson

StormN

Thomas Jefferson

StormN

Thomas Jefferson

SoulMan

Congratulations bravoecho, Irish and Krista on your Rifleman scores. I know it was the result of your determination, persistence and teachability. Thomas Jefferson was right that the skill of precision shooting is a character builder. At times, people who are determined to do well can be resistant and defensive, but I didn't see any of that at this shoot. Everyone really came to learn, and everyone improved. As instructors in this program, we don't do it for the "thank you," but I was so impressed by how you each really took the instruction to heart and earnestly applied the fundamentals until they became automatic, and then you relaxed, did your thing, and the results speak for themselves.  We're not all about the Rifleman score, but the steadfast persistence, discipline, focus, optimism and cheerful determination it took you to get there speaks well of your character -- you are the sort of people our country needs, and I'm thrilled to see you took your orange hats.

I see those qualities in so many others who came, who brought friends, and whose shooting improved by leaps and bounds, who held back tears at the story of April 19th, 1775. The Rifleman patch is just a matter of time.

Great job, Ron and Maria, a husband and wife team with a pair of scoped Marlins who, at their second Appleseed shoot, are knocking at the door of 210. After Maria got more comfortable with the loop sling, the size of her groups  shrank by half. And Ron raised his score more than 20 points and if it were not for 3 genuine alibis he would have been within a hair's breadth of Rifleman.  I look forward to seeing you both next time and seeing your dry firing practice pay off. Remember, to sink into your sling, trust your NPOA and don't fuss the shot!

Babycakes, your enthusiasm and determined resolve are contagious and I have no doubt you will achieve your goal of Rifleman. I hope that elbow blister heals fast, but I have a feeling that will not stop you! 

Great job to first-timers Bryan and his son. Great job, Brad, Noah and Seth.

It was great to see Thomas and his dad walking up to the line and analyzing his shot groups together. I asked Thomas, whose shot group in the standing position is impressive by any standard, "how many of your friends can shoot as good as you?" He replied forthrightly, some of them can shoot, but not good." Maybe we'll see them at the nest Appleseed.

To the whole Lambert Family, I feel blessed that we could provide a fun family experience for you as a way of saying thanks for all you do for our citizen soldiers in the California National Guard.  I'm thrilled you had such a great time.  Looks like you have a new family hobby!

I look forward to seeing you all again at the range.

Shoot straight and often!
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations -- New Rifleman ^5

Welcome new forum members  ;D

Good event -- California AS -- making the founders proud O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

bravoecho

What a great experience my second Appleseed event was!  I knew it was going to be a great day when SoulMan recognized me from Corona 210 and welcomed me to Rainbow.  I want to thank you SoulMan for your comments, positive reinforcement, and constructive criticism.  This had a lot to do with the outcome of my day.

What really did it for me was getting into that "zen bubble" and following each of the six steps to firing the shot on every shot I could.  I couldn't at first believe my score when announced, but then realizing the work I put forth...it hit me ^:)^

I am looking forward to wearing the hat the first chance I get.  Being able to share skills that I have learned along with acquiring a new-found appreciation for the lessons in history will be priceless.  This part of history is so under-taught and I now realize that each of us can affect a positive change, re-acquainting others with this period in history and the strength it holds. 

What I have learned through earning and achieving my Rifleman's Patch and score is that you have to learn to TRUST everything that is taught.  Some things may sound "off" of "strange" and positions will or may be uncomfortable and not what you are used to.  But when you trust, persist and overcome........well, what can I say.  Here I am O0.  Practice does pay off.

Congratulations to Irish and Krista - job well done!!!  Thanks again to all, and here's hoping to see you on the Appleseed Trail very soon!!!

Irish

Does anyone know anything about Ruger 10/22 Timney Triggers?  I found one for $150 which includes mag release.  Worth it?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Babycakes

Quote from: Irish on October 05, 2011, 09:33:03 PM
Does anyone know anything about Ruger 10/22 Timney Triggers?  I found one for $150 which includes mag release.  Worth it?
Idk, I was looking at the same one. I'm curious as to if it's worth the money.

passinthru

Irish & Babycakes,
     The Ruger 10-22 can be bought new on sale for $219.00.  Are you SURE you want to get into an equipment race?  You can EASILY spend 3 to 4 ADDITIONAL hundred dollars------- and STILL have a Ruger 10-22.  I agree, the stock trigger is like grinding sand through sea gull poop, but you can work on it yourself, plenty of how to's on the 'net.  But if it's an equp. race you want, Volquartzen is very good stuff and they will welcome your $$$'s.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

StormN

Irish & Babycakes, below is a list of parts on the 10/22 rifle that Irish borrowed and shot his rifleman score with. Babycakes as I recall your 10/22 already had tech-sights and a target barrel and a factory extended magazine release, with the hammer kit you could be set.  Other than the Tech-Sights all of the items below are listed on the Midway USA website. I have found Midway to be an outstanding company to work with. Below is a link to their 10/22 section. passinthru is correct that you can spend as little or as much as your budget and conscience allow but in the end you still have a 10/22 albeit very different from the stock 10/22. Irish in your case you could make the improvements listed below for around $120 and have a rifle very similar to the one I loaned you. My personal philosophy has been to purchase replacement parts rather than "gunsmith" the original ones as you always can go back to the stock configuration if you want for instance to sell the rifle than upgrade a new one. Please PM me if I can be of help.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=9&categoryId=11647&categoryString=10636***10560***9142***

Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release $10.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=688102

Ruger Magazine Latch, this newer rifle was equipped with this latch from the factory. $5.99, out of stock. There is a host of other latches including 1 similar to the one offered on the Timney trigger group ranging in price from $4.99-$34.99. Irish one of these would be the solution to your older rifle.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=151564

Volquartsen Target Hammer with Bushings Ruger 10/22 $39.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=163143

TSR100 Aperture Sight for Ruger 10/22
$59.00 (includes front and rear sight)
http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm
Thomas Jefferson

Irish

why use TSR100 rather than the 200?  what is the difference?  Which is better?

Justin

Quote from: Irish on October 06, 2011, 03:50:21 AM
why use TSR100 rather than the 200?  what is the difference?  Which is better?

The TSR 200 has adjustable elevation on the rear sight whereas the TSR 100 has adjustable elevation on the front sight only.

There are other differences such as the 100 having the "O-2" flip sights for short distance, though I've never seen them used for this.

My advice is get the 200.
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

SoulMan

+1 to Norm and Justin.

Irish and Babycakes, you have to prioritize.

IMHO, first priority is definitely the sights. Ruger 10/22 stock sights are woefully inadequate, as Irish found out. Either the Tech 100 or 200 is fine. 200 is more convenient. Approx $70. Do buy the sight adjustment tool.

Babycakes, I know you are looking into getting a scope. At Brownell's I saw a combo picattinny rail and what looks like an integral version of the Tech Sights TSR 100, made by a different company. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42940/avs%7CMake~~Model_1=Ruger__10zz1zz22/Product/RUGER-reg-10-22-reg-REAR-SIGHT-W-RAIL
$75 approx. Kinda pricey for just a rear sight (you'd have to buy a separate front sight, too) but it could be a good option so you can mount a scope, while maintaining the option of iron sights with an increased sight radius. I'm thinking about getting one myself. (BTW, anyone know if you can upgrade this with a TSR-200 rear aperture? Not necessary, but curious.) With this setup, I'd consider scope mounting rings that give you the see-through so you could choose the scope or the iron sights without removing the scope.

2nd, get a loop sling. $15. This would be first priority if the 10/22 stock sights weren't so bad.

3rd, buy more magazines. You need a minimum of two. Approx $13 each. If you have 6, you can label them and preload all your mags for the AQT, saving prep time. ("Use it wisely!")

Once you have taken care of the above, you should be good to go, and you can think about upgrading the rifle's action and latches. I recomend the following:

4th, (only if your rifle is having trouble extracting spent cases), get a Volquartsen extractor, they are only a few dollars.

5th, get an auto bolt release so you can release the bolt one-handed with a simple pull of the bolt handle. Around $7. (You will still need to engage the bolt release to lock the bolt back because it doesn't do that automatically, although there is another conversion for that, but I hear it requires different magazines so I haven't done this).

6th, get an extended magazine latch. Style is a matter of preference.  Cost ranges from $5-$35.

After this, I think it's just a matter if style and fine tuning. I don't think you need a match trigger or hammer unless you think the high financial cost is worth a slim improvement in accuracy or you just think it's fun to trick out your rifle (it is!). You already have the tools you need to shoot straight - you built them at Appleseed! The money tou save could  buy a lot of ammo -- or another LTR  so more of your friends will have no excuse not to come to a shoot!
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

passinthru

I also rec. the Volquartzen extractor, it will even extract the 'bad' ammo. About $11.00 if I remember correctly.
I put a 'cool' looking flash diffuser on the end of both of my loaners--got tired of 'wincing' every time a new shooter put the end of the barrel in the dirt--they were about $20.00/each.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

StormN

Wholeheartedly agree on some sort of muzzle protection especially if you ever plan to loan your rifle out. If you purchase the tsr200 purchase both sight tools. The flat one for rear elevation and the more standard style tool for the windage. Both are invaluable when instructing.
Thomas Jefferson

SoulMan

Irish, I know your rifle has 1 inch sling swivels. Make sure you either get a 1 inch wide web sling, or get larger sling swivels.

Other than that, there is a lengthy thread about custokizing your Ruger 10/22 into an LTR under Road to Rifleman, Rifle Knowledge Bank http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32.0 if you have the time and the stomach. On page 33, Marpat Pippi put a couple of .pdfs that simplify it.

4Posterity

Quote from: SoulMan on October 06, 2011, 01:32:13 PM

Babycakes, I know you are looking into getting a scope. At Brownell's I saw a combo picattinny rail and what looks like an integral version of the Tech Sights TSR 100, made by a different company. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42940/avs%7CMake~~Model_1=Ruger__10zz1zz22/Product/RUGER-reg-10-22-reg-REAR-SIGHT-W-RAIL
$75 approx. Kinda pricey for just a rear sight (you'd have to buy a separate front sight, too) but it could be a good option so you can mount a scope, while maintaining the option of iron sights with an increased sight radius. I'm thinking about getting one myself. (BTW, anyone know if you can upgrade this with a TSR-200 rear aperture? Not necessary, but curious.) With this setup, I'd consider scope mounting rings that give you the see-through so you could choose the scope or the iron sights without removing the scope.

Soulman, Babycakes and all-

I've had a chance to check out several of the rail/ring/scope/fixed sight set-up, and was not at all happy with any of them.  They tend to raise the height of the scope up much too far from the receiver and barrel. This causes a couple of issues.  First, the scope is so high that getting a good cheek-weld and maintaining proper eye-relief and alignment with the scope is difficult, if not impossible.  We had this issue on the line last weekend.  The shooter had the rings made with a open loop between the base and the scope tube to allow sighting using the fixed sights in addition to the scope.  This raised the scope tube so much that getting a comfortable position with proper eye alignment and eye relief was very difficult.  Second, you are adding convergence error into the scope-barrel alignment.  Not an issue if you never shoot at varying distances, but more of an issue for impromptu plinking, hunting or shooting at distances other that what the scope is set for.

Babycakes:  There are lots of articles and discussion out there regarding mounting scopes on 22 rifles to gain maximum accuracy.  www.rimfirecentral.com has a very good series of tutorials regarding scope mounting.  Here is a link to the Ruger 10/22 forum:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Do a search for "scope mounting" and you will find dozens of threads regarding mounting scopes on your 10/22.

Just some thoughts.

Mark

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Calvin Coolidge

SoulMan

Thanks, Mark!

Any recommendations on a cost-effective rimfire scope?

4Posterity

Joel-

We have had very good success with the Sightron SI rimfire scope.  Midway happens to have it on sale right now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=147249

The parallax is set at 50 yards, but it still seems to be crystal clear at 25 yards and out to 100/125 yards.  Very bright image and nice eye relief as well.  We have these on three or four 22s. 

Also had consistently good results with the Burris "Signature Zee" rings.  They have a synthetic bushing that allows the scope to float somewhat in the ring as you tighten it up, so the scope can self-align without putting torque or flex pressure onto the scope tube.  Once tightened they are as solid as a rock.  A little drop of blue locktite on the ring threads during assembly and you are good to go for a long time.  We have on CZ that must have at least 5,000 rounds fired through it with the above scope ring combo, and have had no problems. 

Norm should weigh in here as I think he has done some trial and error stuff with scopes and rings as well.

Mark

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Calvin Coolidge

SoulMan

Right now I'm looking at this little scope for an LTR I'm setting up for my wife, who is an occasional shooter with an eye dominance problem:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=213471

Hard to argue with a waterproof, shockproof, multi-coated rimfire scope for under $45. Only downside I see is it its not nitrogen filled and reveiwers say the mounting rings are junk, so add another $15 for the rings.  Comes out to about the same price as the Tech Sights.

Thoughts?

Sicktone

I am thoroughly enjoying the gear talk, but wanted to add a bit to the AAR as well.

This was my second Appleseed.  I struggled a bit through the first, but learned a lot.  I wish I had run my 10/22, but I felt strongly that I wanted to use my "go-to" rifle.  (I'm sure the people next to me on the line wish I'd stuck with the 10/22 as well  ;) ).  Also, its hard to find a place in the Golden State where you can shoot a high-powered rifle on a nice range, under the open sky.

Anyway, the difference between my first Appleseed (drinking from a fire hose) and this one was that I had a bit more time to enjoy the performance of the others on the line.  Everyone had to fight through some type of adversity from the heat to injuries to firearm problems.  I was inspired by everyones tenacity and the spirit of teamwork.  My only major regret was not having time to get to know everyone at the shoot.  What a great group we had--AND we were spoiled by the number of instructors.  I brought two new shooters and never had to worry about whether they were enjoying themselves.

Mark is truly a gifted storyteller.  I thoroughly enjoy his vast knowledge of history and the passion with which he tells the tales.  Another amazing fact is that the other instructors match his passion and add their own "flavor" to the stories.  I will say that Mark was being a bit upstaged by Justin and his "Three Can Lunch"  (refried beans, mustard greens and a Monster Energy Drink)  8)  I really enjoyed every instructor--each had something unique to add to the weekend.

I had my own rifle issues and have to confess I was a bit frustrated by late morning on Sunday.  I really appreciate Mark and Norm setting me up with another rifle.  Things changed immediately, but I think I kind of hit the wall mid-afternoon, started screwing up the course of fire and pulled myself off the line for a bit (wisely I think).  I ended up with a good Sharpshooter score and got everything but the headshot on the last Redcoat target.

I'll be working on some of the fundamentals now.  I would really like to figure out how to go from standing to seated without looking like an inebriated break-dancer.  I'll be back...

Seriously, its nice to have a break from all the political polarization going on today and come together with a diverse crowd to celebrate the importance of being citizens of the United States.  I'm inspired by the same stories that filled me with awe back in grade school, to feel even more inspired now is pretty special.

Thanks to all who participated last weekend.  I hope to see you again soon!

Camljr

For rimfire .22 rifles, I have found that these verticle split, rings by Leupold, less than $12.

These clamp on to the 3/8" raised dovetail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=212564

I use them on all my loaners with scopes.

I also like the Barska "easy shot" reticle rifle scopes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=965542

The circle around the center allows for easy target aquisition...

Less than $40. Lifetime warranty.

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt