News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

OK Texas, are you ready to bring Lubbock into the fold?

Started by SamD, April 23, 2010, 01:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

Quote from: heretic on January 23, 2011, 10:43:46 PM
The place I got the "go" near Slaton is a pistol range in a canyon.  Really tight spaces, but I'll talk with the "man" this week to see what may work.  It was indicated they might could push some dirt around and make it bigger.
  But, I also got an enthusiastic, "Yes" to use a place one mile out of city limits in Lubbock.  I took the land owner's son to Amarillo in September and they are excited to be able to host an AS.  He has a front end loader with a blade on his tractor and says he could build a backstop easy.  They are ready to do it.  Just need to get Sam or someone out to look at it.  Whether it's Sam's spot or one or both of these, let's stack 'em up.  We already have a list of contacts of people wanting to attend.
O0 I don't usually like to wander that far from home, but I'm ready.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Ol Kev

Quote from: heretic on January 23, 2011, 10:43:46 PM
The place I got the "go" near Slaton is a pistol range in a canyon.  Really tight spaces, but I'll talk with the "man" this week to see what may work.  It was indicated they might could push some dirt around and make it bigger.
  But, I also got an enthusiastic, "Yes" to use a place one mile out of city limits in Lubbock.  I took the land owner's son to Amarillo in September and they are excited to be able to host an AS.  He has a front end loader with a blade on his tractor and says he could build a backstop easy.  They are ready to do it.  Just need to get Sam or someone out to look at it.  Whether it's Sam's spot or one or both of these, let's stack 'em up.  We already have a list of contacts of people wanting to attend.

Count me in - I'm one of them and have some interest from some people at work too.
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

wcmartin1

Was promoting the Midland events at a gunshow in Odessa this morning and ran into a lady who said she had a range in Slaton and someone had approached her about having an event there and she was thinking about it.  I told her about the program and gave her a flyer.

Coincidence?  8)
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

7.62er

That's the pistol range I mentioned.  I'm gonna try to meet her husband there today or tomorrow.   
Some pretty narrow lanes but we're going to explore some options.  If any shoot bosses are in the neighborhood, let me know and we can go look at that one and another place a friend of mine owns. 
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

SamD

Actually the place we are dickering with and most likely to hold one at is the IPSC range NW of Levelland.

7.62er

That'll work!  Get us a date and we'll get the word out.  Heck, lets do both March and April  ;D
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

oladcock

Give me the word and the better half and I'll make a road trip with shoot application in hand. Get-r done! :) Thanks to all beating the bushes on this!....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

SamD

Just got off the phone with a friend who has been working the BOD of West Tx Practical Shooters.
We have a range folks. Approx 9 miles NW of Levelland Tx..
2-3 April should be our weekend, pending a physical survey of the range, a signed shoot agreement and a copy of the insurance cert in their hands.
They have 100 yards available, should be able to accommodate 25-30 shooters.

Who is ready to do BOTG for this one?
I need names and commitment NOW!

heretic, can you get back on AM580?
Ready to send the emails to those 51?
OlKev ready to start passing flyers?
Rest of Tx, out seventh stepping?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Ol Kev

Quote from: SamD on February 02, 2011, 02:15:25 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend who has been working the BOD of West Tx Practical Shooters.
We have a range folks. Approx 9 miles NW of Levelland Tx..
2-3 April should be our weekend, pending a physical survey of the range, a signed shoot agreement and a copy of the insurance cert in their hands.
They have 100 yards available, should be able to accommodate 25-30 shooters.

Who is ready to do BOTG for this one?
I need names and commitment NOW!

heretic, can you get back on AM580?
Ready to send the emails to those 51?
OlKev ready to start passing flyers?
Rest of Tx, out seventh stepping?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

When the flyers arrive in my left hand, they will quickly be going out of my right hand . . .
We have Gander Mountain to try, Sharp Shooters, Fred's, Academy, LSG Tactical Arms, West Texas Military Surplus, Patriot Indoor Range; and, I have some interest here at work. I'm sure there are some forums on the internet as well.

Let me know!
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

7.62er

Sorry, just got back in town.  I will begin sending out heads up to email addresses have.  When we get a lock on the date I will send another 1 out with a link for registering. 
Things are really looking up.  Thanks for all the work SamD.

wcmartin1

Cool!

In the meantime, you're still welcome in Midland - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19666.0

:cool2:

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

SamD

Latest update,
OL made a site survey yesterday. Conditions are primitive but usable. Space for 25-30 shooters.
Soon as we get the shoot agreement back it'll be on teh schedule for 2-3 April.

Toilet facilities= beyond primitive
No water
Camping available but that means camping, none of that hot tub KOA crap, you gonna have to be didicated.

Lubbock contingent, start lining up advertisers, radio spots etc.

JustJeff

Quote from: SamD on February 17, 2011, 09:52:40 AM
Toilet facilities= beyond primitive
No water
Camping available but that means camping, none of that hot tub KOA crap, you gonna have to be didicated.

Sounds like our kind of campground......
Marking my calendar.
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Jerry Hall

Sounds like another adventure to me!!! O0
let me know when, i'll be there ;D
To our LBOTG :sos: Try posting for the shoot on Craigslist, facebook, twitter, etc...
Any and all marketing is allowed :---
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

7.62er

Okay, I just sent out a heads up to all the addresses gathered at two local gun shows.  Sending out more to personal contacts.  Will continue beating the bushes.

Quick question:  I called around for quotes on port-a-potties and the lowest I got was for two of them for a total of right at $150.00.
Is this something worth exploring?

heretic.

Draciron

I first heard of Appleseed down at a gunshow in Midland a few years back. At the time the cost and availability of ammo was prohibitive.  I was lucky to find a single box of primers much less enough primers to load 1,000 rounds.  I've since signed up at Lubbock gun shows hoping for one in the Lubbock area and eagerly look forward to attending this one however I have quite a few questions. Some of which should be on the fliers.

First question is about the number of rounds needed. Even today 1,000 rounds isn't cheap. I reload so that's 1,000 primers and thousand bullets plus powder.  Factory rounds your talking a min of $180 for 30.06 and around $100 to reload.  Many will want to purchase ammo there if it is possible. If so what calibers, what cost and such should be made known.  A related question is how many rounds per day?

Next quesiton, the Midland flier seemed to imply only iron sights were allowed. Is this true or can scoped rifles be used? Are AK style semi-auto weapons allowed? 

I frequently shoot at Rustic (the range in Slaton I think that was referenced a few times)  The rifle range only goes to 100 yards.  The operators are very fussy. There is a ranch on the other side of the backstop so they restrict quite a few activities and get rather testy if you do things like rapid fire.  From what I understand 500+ yards is a key element of the training. It's the big lure for me personally. I want to be able to group at 500-1000 yards.  So what is the distance of the Levelland event?  Rustic will probably prove unsuitable for Appleseed unless a new section is created. The plus side of Rustic is they do have a well stocked supply of every commonly fired round at very reasonable prices.

What is covered in which day? I can probably only afford to attend for one day and want to get the most bang for the buck (excuse the pun).

Sounds like y'all could use some volunteers as well. But what areas you need help in and how to sign up to help out is not obvious. I live in Lubbock so I'd be happy to go out and help set up before the event, help distribute fliers, send out emails, etc. BTW you left off Freds and the gun store out in BFE that I can never remember the name of as well as Academy.  All places shooters in Lubbock frequent. There are also 3 or 4 commercial reloaders. I know a couple of them. They would likely be happy to distribute fliers for the event.

I'm posting here because the Midland flier does not answer any of these questions nor does the email I received nor can the information be found on any of the websites listed in connection with the events.

7.62er

wcmartin1

Quote from: Draciron on February 18, 2011, 01:29:57 AM

I'm posting here because the Midland flier does not answer any of these questions nor does the email I received nor can the information be found on any of the websites listed in connection with the events.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=170.0

http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/

oladcock

Draciron, I'm not sure who'll shoot boss this event yet, might be me, but the SB can do a full/known distance portion if the range will allow it and the SB wants to. This one we might be able to get 200 yards but not easily. However fundamentals are fundamentals, trigger control is trigger control, an MOA is an MOA no matter what caliber rifle is in your hands. The work we do at 25 meters translates directly to 100 or 1000 only minus trajectory and wind, which we'll discuss. What I'd suggest is use a .22 Saturday and maybe half of Sunday, then if you want to bring out the big gun during the AQT grind Sunday afternoon, do so. It'll save you lots of $$$ in ammo plus give you a chance to get the fundamentals down before getting knocked around with a larger gun. Hope to see you there! :)....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

wcmartin1

HEY LUBBOCK!

Y'ALL COME SHOOT IN MIDLAND THIS WEEKEND AS A WARM UP FOR YOUR APPLESEED...

UNLESS YOU'RE SCARED OR SOMETHING.

:---

GIT-R-DONE!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19666.0

7.62er

Don't tempt me.   >:D  I'm kinda hanging in the balance right now.  Waiting to see how many Big rats I gotta kill here first.  Trying to get a local down there to go.

SamD

7.62er

I've painted over my, "The End is Soon!!!" walking billboard, and put on it, "LEVELLAND APPLESEED on April 2-3" and I'm standing on the corner right now.  Grabbin' folks at the Wal-Mart ammo counter  ~~:), and burning it up on LubbockAppleseed@yahoo.com.  Hopefully a radio spot before long.....

oladcock

Talked to my POC yesterday and he's been sick. Hope to have the host app in hand today or tomorrow so we can get her on the schedule....O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

oladcock

Ok guys, looks like we're on the board! I can smell gunpowder over Levelland already! :)...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

wcmartin1

Quote from: oladcock on March 08, 2011, 01:49:40 AM
Ok guys, looks like we're on the board! I can smell gunpowder over Levelland already! :)...O.L.

In case you haven't found it here's the link - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21209.msg165842#msg165842

Hope y'all have a great shoot!

Git-R-Done!  :---

7.62er

Seventeen out of 30 spots left.  In less than 24 hours, almost half gone.  Better git signed up while the signin's good!!
Come on to Lubbock!!   Err....Levelland, that is..

JustJeff

Quote from: heretic on March 08, 2011, 05:34:22 PM
Seventeen out of 30 spots left.  In less than 24 hours, almost half gone.  Better git signed up while the signin's good!!
Come on to Lubbock!!   Err....Levelland, that is..
I heard that the camping was primitive, but good, in Levelland NM. **)