News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

OK Texas, are you ready to bring Lubbock into the fold?

Started by SamD, April 23, 2010, 01:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

Aromatic and heritic on the air in Lubbock. Very nice job of it too.
The commentator sure sounds like a friend of Appleseed. We need more friends like this

http://am580lubbock.com/images/podcasts/WWS_04.23.10.mp3

Looks like you need to set up an Appleseed in Lubbock.
Get with heretic, he is working a range for us O0

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Aromatic

Thanks Sam and Spitstickler.  David did a great job setting the interview up. 

If we get a shoot set up out there, I may have to take a drive and check out East New New Mexico  **)

POP

Sorry I missed that one.
Lubbock, I believe that is East New Mexico, ashrn03's territory.  Does he have any Appleseeders in that part of the country.  Naw, that's those Texas Tech folks.  I wonder if ... naw, they wouldn't be interested.  Would they?

Hey ashrn03, whadya think we could mak'em part of Texas?  You already do a great job with Amarillo and Midland.  LBB would be a great draw for the college kids and rancher types. 

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

SamD

I suspect that between the two states we can manage to keep Lubbock covered until they can grow an instructor corps of their own.

Sam

POP

Absolutely, Sam.
We need to pitch in and help ashrn03 develop his section of East New Mexico  **) like we do elsewhere.
Sounds like its poised to take off.
Speaking of sound, I listened to part of that LBB Radio show.  That Sounds Great.  Thanks heretic, David, and aromatic.  Ya'll did a super job.   ;)
I'll bet the OHs and RHs from Fort Worth and Roswell areas would be there in a flash to help make it a success.  Might even talk an old guy from Corpus into coming.  ;D
POP
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^

Quote from: SamD on April 24, 2010, 02:02:42 AM
I suspect that between the two states we can manage to keep Lubbock covered until they can grow an instructor corps of their own.

Sam
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

doubleLL

Aromatic, David, and Heretic you all did a great job on the interview. While working the Fort Worth gun shows we did have folks from Lubbock come by the booth who were interested in a shoot. If we can find a range, starfox and I are fine with working a shoot in Lubbock. Let me know if you folks need anything to help set up a range or handouts for the gun shows. 
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

7.62er

The gun show went very well.  I got 51 names with phone numbers and email addresses to contact when we get a date set. 
Many good comments.  Most had never heard of Appleseed, but we did pass out lots of cards, trifolds and targets.  One tip:  Have a bottle of water in hand when you do that much talking $$-0.  Very nearly lost my voice.
You know, it's amazing how two pretty girls with two and three shoots under their belts can get guys to put their names and numbers down on a list ::)
We also had several people say they thought they could get us a place to shoot.  They would speak with landowner or "dad".  I have a couple of definite offers, but they are about an hour from Lubbock.  I think I can get a little closer though.  I will not drag my feet though. 
Thanks for all the help, folks.  Thanks to Aromatic for the radio call-in, spitstickler for the trifolds, SamD standing by and all others support.  I ordered some AQTs and Redcoats and Fred threw in some extras.  (I think I have enough still to hold a shoot)
Y'all are a great group.
David "heretic"
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

7.62er

BTW, I had the TSRA North Texas Regional Director all but swore he was coming to a shoot with family.  He wants me to let him know when we get it set up here.  He also expressed an interest in doing whatever TSRA could do to assist us.  I did not pursue this with him.  He just wanted to get TSRA involved if there was a way.
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

SamD

Quoteit's amazing how two pretty girls with two and three shoots under their belts can get guys to put their names and numbers down on a list
A true statement so you best get rolling and get more pretty girls  into the program

Now if we could just pin down a range  :(

oktx

Grumpy

If my memory serves me correctly ++), there is an old range out northwest of Reese Center, don't know the exact location though.

There used to be a private range out south of Wolfforth on 179, it was good for 250 yds.
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

7.62er

The range NW of Reese center is now property of the Sherriff's office.  Tried to work with them with negative results.  Owner of private range south of Wolfforth is not at all interested in anything but bench shooting and not inviting anyone else in.
  I"m talking with Dub at Rustic Range at Slaton and he is trying to work something out with us.  Since it is a commercial range, I don't yet know if or how much charges there will be.  I did explain this is a volunteer organization.   He is showing an interest and is talking with me on this.  I was shown three different spots at the range, but will need to have a shoot boss look at it.  Let me find out if he's gonna charge us first.
I'm still trying to find other places.  I have one farmer who might let us use a caliche pit.
  Still working on this and will let y'all know as soon....
Heretic.

Ol Kev

So, what is the latest on getting an Appleseed shoot to the Lubbock area? Any prospects?
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

wcmartin1

Don't know about Lubbock, but there's three events in Midland and we'd love to have you.

February 26-27
April 30-May 1
November 12-13

See attached.

Edited to add dates and update flyer.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

oladcock

Ol Kev, Don't know where you live from Lubbock but we'll have one in Roswell, March 19-20. About 2 hour drive...O.L.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19340.0
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Ol Kev

Quote from: oladcock on December 28, 2010, 01:37:23 PM
Ol Kev, Don't know where you live from Lubbock but we'll have one in Roswell, March 19-20. About 2 hour drive...O.L.

Quote from: wcmartin1 on December 28, 2010, 01:29:28 PM
Don't know about Lubbock, but there's three events in Midland and we'd love to have you.

February 26-27
April 30-May 1
November 12-13

See attached.

Edited to add dates.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19340.0

Got the M-I-L in Roswell, which means a place to stay . . .

Missed the Midland dates on the lookup . . . Midland would be closer.

I'm also trying to gauge some interest here at work. Is it iron sights only or can you use a scope on the qualification? I had refractive surgery years ago and my eyes are all messed up.
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

SamD

You can use any sights you want Ol Kev, we ain't picky.
Helps alot if you have a sling installed too.

We ever find a range over there we'll get it going but haven't had any luck at all.

Grumpy

I was in Lubbock a few months ago and left some flyers at Rustic Range. The guys there seemed pretty enthusiastic about the program, just need someone local to do some more follow-up. O0
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

nmmi9100

I'm willing to help if Lubbock gets a shoot and needs it.  Wife's mother lives in Hale Center...free place to stay for me.

Also may help out in Midland in March if they need it an NM shoots don't conflict.  My mother lives in Midland...free place to stay.

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

I talked with heretic the other day.
we'll find a place yet.
I cannot believe that no one in Tx has a range  ++)

wcmartin1

OK, ya'll -

If nothing pans out in Lubbock, Midland is now officially on the schedule for 2011 and we'd love to have you - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19666.0

Git-R-Done!
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Ol Kev

I sent an email to Robert Pratt today with "Pratt on Texas" afternoon talk radio show on KFYO.

He said, "I've had someone from the Appleseed Project on the show before. I'll try and do so again sometime."

So, maybe we can stir things up a little around here, especially if more people will press Pratt to talk about Appleseed again.

BTW, there is a gun show in Lubbock this coming weekend. Does Appleseed set up booths at gunshows?

spitstickler

Quote from: Ol Kev on January 06, 2011, 01:46:01 AM
BTW, there is a gun show in Lubbock this coming weekend. Does Appleseed set up booths at gunshows?

Hey Kev,

David (a.k.a. Heretic) is in or close to Lubbock and I think he set up an Appleseed at a show there last year. Get in touch with him and see what materials he has. There is no formal group that sets up and does the gun shows. It's all up to "We the People"  ;)

We try to share resources as best we can, (banners, printed collateral, etc) but for the most part it just takes someone to call the organization putting on the show, get a booth reserved (usually for free since we are non-profit 501(3)c), gathering up materials, and then work the event. It's actually pretty fun and you will get a chance to talk to a lot of people.

Sounds like you are ready to keep spreading the word, maybe you and Heretic can hook up and make it happen? If you need support for additional materials, just shout out and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

7.62er

I went to the gun show yesterday and I'm very confident we now have a place.   ^:)^ It's an outdoor pistol range in Slaton, just outside of Lubbock.  Spoke with the president and he says we can make it work and no range fees.  Says he's been wanting to attend an AS.
  I'll try and go look at the range this week and then get SamD or another shoot boss to approve it.
  I've talked with Pratt, but he's involved with a business that teaches CHL and other gun safety/personal defense.  He thought it might conflict.  He is definitley "one of us", just needs more people contacting him to help promote AS on his "Pratt on Texas" show.
  Also other radio stations and perhaps one television station that would promote it.  Just gotta get the shoots going.  Lots of interest here in Lubbock judging from the gun shows.  I'll let y'all know after I look at the range.

Heretic.

Ol Kev

Ol Kev

Quote from: heretic on January 10, 2011, 02:36:38 PM
I went to the gun show yesterday and I'm very confident we now have a place.   ^:)^ It's an outdoor pistol range in Slaton, just outside of Lubbock.  Spoke with the president and he says we can make it work and no range fees.  Says he's been wanting to attend an AS.
  I'll try and go look at the range this week and then get SamD or another shoot boss to approve it.
  I've talked with Pratt, but he's involved with a business that teaches CHL and other gun safety/personal defense.  He thought it might conflict.  He is definitely "one of us", just needs more people contacting him to help promote AS on his "Pratt on Texas" show.
  Also other radio stations and perhaps one television station that would promote it.  Just gotta get the shoots going.  Lots of interest here in Lubbock judging from the gun shows.  I'll let y'all know after I look at the range.

Heretic.

I was re-reading this post and of all people, I don't think Pratt gets it. Appleseed participants could potentially be a source of students for him. All of his stuff focuses on basic handgun training and concealed carry. As I understand it, Appleseed is the foundation of marksmanship in general, rifles in particular with the history element thrown in to educate what the founding fathers meant regarding the second amendment and the issues founding the country. To me his training would follow Appleseed, not compete with it. To really get him on board would be huge because he has such a large drive time and his show is now on in the Abilene area.

Do you really think he understands what Appleseed is all about?

SamD

OK Texas,
I am in serious negotiation with a place near Lubbock and have suggested March 5-6 or April 2-3 simply because those dates fit in with my inst staff here in SENM.
Are you READY?
How READY?
Start holding your breath.
Nothing signed yet and I haven't had a chance to scope it out yet but it smells real sweet.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: heretic on June 23, 2010, 01:00:22 AM
  I"m talking with Dub at Rustic Range at Slaton and he is trying to work something out with us. 

I miss Dub, I spent nearly every weekend out there when I was in the USAF. I know the range in Slaton also, good place. Wish I was there with you.

Have a good shoot.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

7.62er

The place I got the "go" near Slaton is a pistol range in a canyon.  Really tight spaces, but I'll talk with the "man" this week to see what may work.  It was indicated they might could push some dirt around and make it bigger.
  But, I also got an enthusiastic, "Yes" to use a place one mile out of city limits in Lubbock.  I took the land owner's son to Amarillo in September and they are excited to be able to host an AS.  He has a front end loader with a blade on his tractor and says he could build a backstop easy.  They are ready to do it.  Just need to get Sam or someone out to look at it.  Whether it's Sam's spot or one or both of these, let's stack 'em up.  We already have a list of contacts of people wanting to attend.