News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Josiah Austin Saves Ammunition - 19 April

Started by CarrollMS, February 27, 2024, 08:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarrollMS

The URL below gives the account of Josiah Austin of Charlestown and his actions on 19 April to save a wagonload of ammunition that he had evacuated from Col James Barret's Concord farm. On the road to Lexington Barret's son, who drove the wagon, saw the approaching column of Regulars and high-tailed it on a horse to Concord. Austin got a passing farmer to assist him and moved the wagon off the road. After the column passed, Austin sent the farmer to report his situation and location to Major Butterick, who sent some of his militia to load up saddle bags with ammunition.

https://sparedcreative21.art.blog/2020/02/08/battle-of-concord-bridge-josiah-austin-saves-ammunition/
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Yates

scuzzy

Thanks.

One thing on the story that threw me though. I've always considered the first shot at Lexington Green to be the 'Shot Heard Around the World.'

The footnotes on the article stated '¹ Major John Buttrick of the Concord Militia is the man who ordered "the shot heard around the world" at Concord's North Bridge. [See John Buttrick]'

I then did some searches and some said that both Lexington and the North Bridge together were considered 'The Shot'. Hmm - I found numerous articles which stated the same. Others said the incident at the North Bridge was the 'Shot'.

So I've been mistaken all these years?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

CarrollMS

Yes, Concord-not Lexington.  
  The North Bridge was the "first forcible resistance" where the colonia militia fired a volley at the Regulars under orders from their leaders.
 Here is a quote from the 9th edition 2022 of the instructor's manual pg 158  Concord's men gathered at Wright's Tavern to decide their course of action. The young minutemen wanted to confront the Regulars outside of town. Chief among them was the town's preacher, William Emerson. He lost his life later in the war. His grandson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, would later write of the "shot heard round the world", and of the battle at the "rude bridge". 

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

− Emerson, "Concord Hymn"
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200