News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Nappanee, IN. AAR. Sept. 2-3, 2023

Started by Click, September 06, 2023, 06:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Click

It was another wonderful weekend at the Nappanee Conservation Club. We had 7 enduthastic shoots come out and help us celebrate our heritage. The warm weather on Saturday and even hotter temperatures on Sunday didn't dampen their spirits and they pushed on. By the end of the weekend we had two requalifing riflemen and two new ones. Congratulations to Dustin and Matt for their requals, and also well done to Emily and Scot on their rifleman scores. Laura and Braden your scores only improved by the end of Sunday I am positive that you will get those scores, just keep practicing and you will get there.

A huge thank you to all the instructors that came out and endured the heat to help make this shoot fun and successful. Without you guys it wouldn't of been possible.  I would also like to thank the Nappanee Conservation Club for hosting the event as always it was a fun and enjoyable time.

Now I know there were some pictures taken so let's get to posting.

MI-copperhead

Pictures
Picture #1 is Matt receiving his patch from click for requalifing.
Picture #2 is Emily (here after named Picasso) with her breakthrough Rifleman score of 226, accepting her Purple patch from SB Click.
Picture #3 is Scott with receiving his Rifleman patch for shooting a 219 with his bolt gun !
Picture #4 is Dustin, who requalified Rifleman, stepping up and taking an Orange hat to help us bail the ship.
Picture #5 is Picasso following in the Tinsley family tradition of taking an Orange hat to start on the next part of the Project Appleseed journey.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Takedown

Thanks, everyone, for another great Appleseed!

MI-copperhead

I cannot think of a better way to spend Labor day weekend than with a great cadre of Appleseed instructors and participants. Even though the weather was sunny and July 4th hot, Nappanee Conservation Club president and resident IIT Tinman had us literally covered with the Club's pop-up canopies that made the weather a bit more tolerable along with an air conditioned clubhouse to take our history and lunch breaks in. Our participants absorbed the safety and points of instruction well, shown by only two minor safety violations and steadily shrinking shot groups. While no one shot a qualifying score on Saturday's AQT those scores and the closing Red coat targets showed it wouldn't take long on Sunday for someone to break through.
Dustin,  now known as Takedown, was the first to post a qualifying score with his TecSight equipped 10/22 Takedown Sunday and continued to show through the rest of the day he "..knows very well what he is about ".
Matt was next to post a score that requalified him as a Rifleman and  Picasso finally kicked down the door to earn her Purple Rifleman (Riflewoman ?) patch  ^:)^
Scott was the final participant to post a Rifleman score with a 219 with his CZ bolt gun with iron sights after his 10/22 replica of an M1 locked up an refused all efforts to be easily repaired.
Josh, Braden and Laura all showed marked improvement and with some perfect practice of the steady hold factors and 6 steps to firing the shot will make Rifleman.
Congratulations to Dustin(Takedown)and Emily(Picasso)for volunteering to become IIT's and help bail our ship Amercia out.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon!
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Geek

A good time was had indeed.  I too can not think of a better way to spend a Labor Day weekend.  This was my first trip up to this range.  It will certainly not be my last.  The club provides us with exclusive use of their facility for the weekend.  That was in itself quite a treat.  The hospitality extended makes me proud to be from the Hoosier-State.  I am not sure we will get to claim this as an Indiana range as MI seems to have claimed it as a southern part of that state. 

I would like to point out Josh, our youngest shooter was making great improvements.  His groups were getting really small by the time we finished.  Additionally, Scot,who made the score with a CZ bolt, also brought along a Kingston M1 22 for us to admire.  Prior to some equipment issues,  he was doing quite well with it too.  If you have not been fortunate enough to see one of these firearms, you should look it up.  The company is gone, but the product remains out there for those that are willing to pay for it.

To our new-to-appleseed participants, Josh, Laura, and Braden, I look forward to seeing you at future events.  As we said over the weekend, it usually takes folks a couple events to put everything together on one good AQT for score.  Your individual improvements were noticeable and something to share with pride.

The club and it's illustrious president cannot get enough credit for making this event a success.  They even timed trains passing the range around most of our POIs.  Considering how many trains pass daily, that was something.  A big HUZZAH to the Nappanee Conservation Club our gracious hosts.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Geek

I found a picture of Scot's M1 22
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Farmritch

I see you had a shoot in Nappanee Last weekend   but I dont see where this was scheduled 
Can someone point me to where to find the scheules?
I saw no mention on the indiana page nor the region page
Id like to attend one in the Michiana area
The T is for trouble

MI-copperhead

Quote from: Farmritch on September 08, 2023, 12:13:45 PM
I see you had a shoot in Nappanee Last weekend   but I dont see where this was scheduled 
Can someone point me to where to find the scheules?
I saw no mention on the indiana page nor the region page
Id like to attend one in the Michiana area
You can find the shoots upcoming for the various states here
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/
Here's the Indiana schedule for the rest of 2023
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=IN&state=Indiana
Thomas Jefferson

twenty2LR

This was a great event with lots of excellent instruction and interesting historical information.  This range is first class and the canopies that were provided for shooters were luxurious and greatly appreciated by at least one attendee that gets sunburned easily regardless of how much extra-strength sunblock he uses.

twenty2LR

Quote from: twenty2LR on September 08, 2023, 04:27:01 PM
This was a great event with lots of excellent instruction and interesting historical information.  This range is first class and the canopies that were provided for shooters were luxurious and greatly appreciated by at least one attendee that gets sunburned easily regardless of how much extra-strength sunblock he uses.

...accidentally submitted this post too soon...the "lots of excellent instruction" I mentioned above, especially with regard to NPOA allowed me to clear the Red Coat target at both the start and close of the day on Sunday.  I did not expect to (maybe ever) be able to do it once, much less twice in a single day.

MI-copperhead

Quote from: twenty2LR on September 08, 2023, 04:45:54 PM

...accidentally submitted this post too soon...the "lots of excellent instruction" I mentioned above, especially with regard to NPOA allowed me to clear the Red Coat target at both the start and close of the day on Sunday.  I did not expect to (maybe ever) be able to do it once, much less twice in a single day.

Finding your NPOA really makes your day. Great shooting!
Thomas Jefferson

twenty2LR

Quote from: MI-copperhead on September 08, 2023, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: twenty2LR on September 08, 2023, 04:45:54 PM

Finding your NPOA really makes your day. Great shooting!
Yes it does and thanks.

Geek