News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Grand Island NE, June 19-20

Started by MOGromit, June 21, 2010, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOGromit

A wonderful weekend at a great range in Grand Island, NE, welcomed two MO instructors, 4 NE IITs and a total of 5 shooters to another Appleseed.  

The Heartland Public Shooting Park is a great facility and many thanks to Dave, our local BOTG, for helping get everything prepared and ready to go along with the IITs that showed up on Friday to set up the range.

A family of 3 and two other individuals got great exposure to the history, 6 steps, steady hold factors and all else that is Appleseed.  Sarah, our youngest shooter of the day, shot the highest score of the weekend of the new Appleseeders at a 194.  Jerry and Laura are going to have to be careful of her winning the challenge to reach the rifleman score since a new rifle is on the line as I understand it.  I like to say that a family that shoots together....goes through a lot of ammo at a Rifleman's cadence.  Our other new Appleseeder, Duane, saw his groups really start to come together after realizing that the earmuffs were distorting his glasses and thus his view of the front sight.  Ear plugs were a definite help.

Many thanks to all the instructors that showed up, Gibbs, Necede, Squirrel7 and Hatchet Jack.

And a particular thanks to all the NE folks that gave me the opportunity to add another state to my list of places I've Appleseeded.

Persist!

MOGromit

Johnnyappleseed

Glad to see the fine state of Nebraska producing Rifleman ! ^5
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Greg in MO

Like Gromit I greatly enjoyed my trip to Nebraska.  Going to Appleseeds with covered lines and running water is going to spoil me for the majority of shoots I attend.  Many thanks to the Heartland Range for allowing us to run a shoot at their facility.

What this group of shooters lacked in size they made up for in enthusiasm and persistance.  They fought through equipment issues and frustrations and showed great improvements over the weekend.  We had enough instructors that everyone received almost constant one-on-one instruction, which was evident as the groups got smaller and smaller. 

I look forward to returning to Nebraska in the near future and seeing everyone again.  It was great working with the NE instructor corps.  You guys are well on your way to having a great Appleseed program in your state. 

Looking forward to seeing those pictures Gibbs!

Greg

tasunka

Thanks to the great instructors in GI. And yes the gun deal still goes for Sarah when she receives her riflemans patch. She is really looking forward to a shoot this fall. As a 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor and a Hunters Education Instructor, I appreciate the work and dedication you as Instructors for the Appleseed Event. Looking forward to this Fall's event and we are going to try and bring more folks with us.

Squirrel7

Hello Cornhusker Appleseeders,
I saw tremendous improvement as the weekend progressed.  Duane has off hand and seated positions down.  Those are challenging, with persistence prone is next and then...at the next Appleseed, a Rifleman patch might come about.  I hope Duane brings his children next time. 

Jerry, Laura, and Sarah are a fantastic shooting family.  I hope Sarah brings some of her shooting friends to the next Appleseed.

4H shooting sports and Appleseed might be a fantastic mix. 

Thanks to Greg, Mogromit, Necede, Dave, and Matt.

I learned a lot and can't wait to see everyone soon.

As Mogromit repeats often...a rifleman persists.

Thanks,

Squirrel7

zombiehunter

Nice work guys!   O0

I'm still bummed I was stuck in Texas over the weekend...  :'(
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Rebel Yell

Good job everyone! Sounds like you survived well enough without me haha. Perhaps next time I'll be there with ya'll rather than at home with a stomach virus.  O0

6.5x55swede

Thanks to all of the volunteers who sacrificed the time to make the GI Appleseed event a success.  The GI facility is a great place for Appleseed.

Special thanks to MO gromit and Greg in MO for making the trip to the event.  I came up with an idea to use the next time you teach about "IMC".  Consider using one of those orange traffic cones as a visual aid for showing how the MOA increases as distance increases.  1/4 of the distance from the small end is "100" yard, 1/2 is "200"yards, etc. up to the large end which is "400" yards.  This could help the shooters understand how much MOA increases as distance increases.  Just a thought.

Although I have been shooting since I was a kid I learned more in one weekend than I have since then.

I consider myself an "Apple-seedling" and will until I can earn the "Rifleman" patch.  But that should just be the beginning....

Hope to see you fine folks at a future event.