News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sparta, IL June 29-30 2013

Started by Steck, June 29, 2013, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steck

38 shooters today on a glorious sunny day ... and we got to see how quickly a group of instructors and students could tear down everything!  Put your pictures and stories here, more to come tomorrow. ..

bbagg

Another great weekend with good weather(mostly), a full compliment of shooters, full instructor cadre
and another opportunity to experience LIBERTY with new and old friends.

Having a long firing line and high winds can be a challenge to the vocal chords. Polar Bear sounded
like he was going through puberty(again?) Same for Duckcreek51. Poor Dc had just begun his LB duties
when the sky opened up for the 3rd time, hope he doesn't take it personally.

Many thanks to our Blue Hat Heros ( forever to be designated as BHHs) to who supported the event with setup, water distribution, lunch coordination, target handout, etc. Special tip o' the orange to KD Cat
for pulling double duty on the line instructing the youngest shooters

Pete! did the best Samuel W. I've heard so far( theft alert!). Have fun in Alaska, you will be sorely
missed Brother. Polar Bear was great also w/H. Wyman. The Sabo kids stole the show with their
histories. Home schooling is ruining this country..... for the statists! Let's face it the whole family Rocks!

Congrats to Steck on Shoot Boss, Imadentist on Red Hat( more MANPRETTYNESS in red), Cephas on
RIFLEMAN, and to all those who advanced in IIT status

OOPS!! Almost forgot Cody(now swampcat) for taking the orange hat Cephas too!

BIG Thanks to WSRC and Cabela's for the support.

Finally, Thanks to Dond and Sarah for always being there, you guys are our calm in the storm.

bbagg

Why do they call him Body Bag?

Well, you know how; "friends help you move, real friends help you move the bodies"? He always brings a bag... just in case! John Abbott

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

RAIN: An atmospheric phenomenon induced by the scheduling and holding of an Appleseed shoot.

WIND: See above.

Mutti

Warning:
For those of the faint of heart or any type of "Monday Morning Recovery Program" it is recommended that
you wait until later to experience this "Motivational" Sunday Morning Event in which the IITs / Blue Hats / Others were coerced willingly
joined in a "Let's Go Team" moment. 

YouTube

Photos from both days will follow soon.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

imadentist

ANY questions about my lineage should now be considered ANSWERED thanks to Mutti.

KD Cat

Hello,

Where should I start?
Saturday morning was clear and had a slight wind. We started out with a full signup craze but thanks to Ratboy and Mrs. Sarah everything went fine. Thanks to all the instructors, BBag, Duckcreek, cody, R'n'R, mutti, ratboy, Steck, pete!, polar bear, EODtech,
Iamadentist, powder monkey, uncle Larry D.  Mr. Dond and Mrs. Sarah thank you for teaching me so many things. We had a wonderful time starting with redcoats and going from there. Everyone gave very good history, including some stories I have not heard before.
Sunday was cloudy and windy.

Miss S. thank you for coming back a second day and working very hard.

Thank you everyone for coming and I hope to see you all soon,

KD Cat,

Drink more water! ~~:) ~~:) 
When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

MGF

I got wet, but I've been wet before.
Had a great time.
Many thanks to the folks who made the event possible!

Kelso

It was a great two days of inspiring history and detailed marksmanship instruction.  The attendees were the most attentive and cooperative found anywhere. Many of them persisted through afternoon rain deluges and stuck around for more history during the storms.

The blue hats and other helpers at this shoot should be role models for BHs nationwide; they not only signed up participants, passed out targets and water, and arranged lunches, they ANTICIPATED the needs of instructors and participants all day long -  :bow:

This was my first visit to the Illinois deep south and the instructors were all very capable, dedicated and - uh - interesting.  It was great working with Dond for the first time.  Hats were flying out and were well EARNED: congrats to SB Steck, RH imadentist, and Rifleman/OH Cephas.

Special thanks to Cabelas and the WSRC for the sponsorship and support.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
― Samuel Adams

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
― Samuel Adams

Mutti

Quote from: imadentist on July 01, 2013, 11:46:25 AM
ANY questions about my lineage should now be considered ANSWERED thanks to Mutti.

Yes. American through and through.

Quote from: Kelso on July 01, 2013, 02:54:37 PM
This was my first visit to the Illinois deep south and the instructors were all very capable, dedicated and - uh - interesting.  It was great working with Dond for the first time.  Hats were flying out and were well EARNED: congrats to SB Steck, RH imadentist, and Rifleman/OH Cephas.

Yes indeed. Photos will be up very soon.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Kelso

A look down the firing line during check in

Lots of flags and popups

Posting the red coats (note the Cabelas sponsorship)

DuckCreek51 made this really useful sight alignment/sight picture tool (sight slides up to target to show holds - inside carries gear)

bbagg tells the 1st Strike

dond gives instruction

Our happy new RH Russ (imadentist) with Sam

Day 2 after lunch - self explanatory
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
― Samuel Adams

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
― Samuel Adams

Steck

Our Sparta shooters were a tenacious bunch, and we're proud of each & every one of 'em   ^:)^

Don & Miss Sarah kept everything humming behind the scenes and kept us on track ...

and of course Ima, and Mutti and her Minions (which could be a punk rock band now that I hear it aloud) got the range and Cabela's coordinated too! 

Can't wait for those photos... 

Powder Monkey

WOW What a weekend!

Congrats to all, especially

Steck - Looking forward to having you as a Shoot Boss many more times!

Imadentist - Wear that Red Hat with PRIDE! Good JOB

Cephas - Patch AND Orange Hat - Way to go!

To all of the other shooters that made great progress: There might only be riflemen or cooks, but even the cooks are way ahead of the ones that are not even in camp at all!  You can't become a rifleman if you don't show up!  Keep showing up and you WILL succeed!  I was amazed at the progress I saw in all the participants.  Many of you were/are only one more storm free AQT from your patch.  Keep the faith!

Thank you to Mr Don and Sarah for believing in all of us being so dedicated. 

Thank you to Steck, Mutti, and Kelso for the help and advice as I begin my learning curve with an Orange Hat.

Polar Bear, Bbag, EOD, Imadentist, and all the rest of the Orange Hat crew, thank you for welcoming me and showing me the ropes.  I promise to study hard and do good.

A big thanks to Cabelas for the sponsoring, and WSRC for the good facilities.

Can't wait to do it again!!!

Powder Monkey

So you're still a cook?  Hey, at least you are here, which is a whole lot better than everyone else not here.  PERSEVERE!  You WILL  succeed!

Mutti

Saturday:

It happened in June...

One could almost imagine the Coats of Red, the furious ride - could We "take good care of the Children..."?

It's hard to imagine how easy we have it these days. More gear, more time, and easier Communications.

But they still follow in our Footsteps these days - and we at Project Appleseed strive to teach them well.

It takes Muscle and Mind to get everything ready.

Directional signs are up!

By Saturday Morning we have a plan.

And "Many Hands" of all ages make light work

Instructor Meeting

Registration under the Expert Guidance of Mrs. Sarah and RatBoy

Ready to start the Day.

Morning Discussion

Preparing for the RedCoats

Mrs. H brought her crutches and an outstanding teachable attitude!

Using what he learned in Clinton, Il.

Mr. K addresses the RedCoats

And who among you cleared the 300?

Now the Sling work and SHF work begins

Instructors at Project Appleseed are hands on. imadentist right down in there.

Steck with the W. family

Mr. C - down again to get this going.

EODTech down and working

BB with Mr. S

RiflesNReins reminding Mr. W to turn that trigger guard in.

Powder Monkey and sling work

Uncle Larry D and Mr. K

PolarBear, KD Cat and Miss S. - getting the sling exactly right on a cricket

Our Blue Hats are serious about their Jobs. Here KD Cat works under the watchful eye of Mrs. Sarah

Steck and the 6 Steps - what's that thumb for folks?

It's work, but evident that DuckCreek51 loves what he does.

Lunch with Old Glory

This Flag was found in a ditch along Route 3 in a thunderstorm - her corner flapping feebly.
Hand washed and restitched by my 2 young girls she flew in her Glory all weekend long in the "Spirit of Urgency" we face.
She was honored on Sunday morning with a Pledge and carefully folded in the driving rain that afternoon.
Hope She'll see you again.

Quickly - Which Step and what are we working on folks?

Group Analysis

It's your target - and after sling work, 6 Steps and NPOA it's happy to see you!

Mrs. W - a thumbs up. What a Teachable Attitude!

Talking targets say "Walking Tech Sites"

Miss S. had outgrown her Cricket and so a Compact Ruger found her. KD Cat keeping it safe.

When the storm clouds moved in -

With the storms on the Horizon we heard of the Third Strike - silouetted by EOD framework

Mr. C reminds us of John Greenwood's search for his Family, service to his Country and what a 13 year old boy did 238 years ago.

And then - there was Sunday!

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Pete!

As always, I had a great time with the Illinois/Missouri/Kentucky folks!  Thank you all for a great shoot!  My niece told me she had a lot of fun.  She said she wants to get her friends back home to go to another Appleseed event with her.

Kelso, Duckcreek51 is the proud builder of that sweet sight picture shoot box.
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Mutti

Sunday :

It's Carding the sights time!

Sitting Demo (hey Mrs. H - how about sharing some of those photos from your phone thingy-whater?)

You are practicing your Sitting - right?

Quick - You've traveled back in time with Melinda your M1 - how far away is that RedCoat?

And Now? Which Stage of the AQT should you have practiced a liiiittttlllleee more on?

Old School or New School - remember your mind is the most important tool!

History - when you "get it" - it shows.

Shoot Like a Girl - If you Can.

Even NPOA Kitty got instruction! Miss S did a nice job of repeating back the Steady Hold Factors for her.

A nice shower (or three) popped up in time to cool us down while listening to Dangerous Old Men, Women and Children.

Shoot Boss Steck - Huzzah!

From Steck to imadentist - passing on of the coveted Instructor Hat.

What can I say but thank you to all who got off the Couch. It was a good weekend.

Next time arrive early to "Choose Liberty" and learn the SoIL Project Appleseed Dance!

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

duckcreek51

I would like to say congratulations to Steck for earning her Shoot Boss Hat and to Imadentist for taking Red Hat!  I am especially proud of Swamp Cat (Cody) for taking his Orange Hat and Bo for earning his Rifleman patch and stepping up and taking Orange Hat!   ^:)^  I would also like to thank DonD and Sarah for all of their hard work in the program.  To all of the Blue Hats and the folks helping with all of the paperwork, registrations, lunch orders, et cetera - you all worked like a well-oiled machine -- Hoorah!! 

As for what Bbagg said about me taking the rain personally, I'll try not to.  We shall see how it goes next time.

I especially want to thank all of the more experienced instructors for the guidance in the dos and the don'ts and their patience.  Like I always say, I learn something new at every AS event, both as a shooter and now as an IIT. 

Thank for the comments on the instructional sight box.  I can't take all of the credit on the idea; Bbagg and I discussed this on our way back from Boaz, KY shoot and I took the idea and ran with it. 

I could sit and listen all day long to the Sabo kids' stories!  The whole family is just great and inspirational. 

Before I close, I want to say to the people who heard about "Operation Shield Skinny" that it was a success....just watch the dancing video and you will notice Bbagg shielded skinny aka duckcreek51.    **) 

Lastly, thank you to Cabela's and WSRC for the support.   ..:.. ..:..
"As for this damned old fox, the Devil himself could not catch him."

duckcreek51

P.S.  I almost forgot....It has been a great honor to have met such a great person as Pete!  He was one of the instructors at my first Appleseed and he helped me a lot!  Pete, you will be greatly missed and I hope all good in Alaska and in the program.  Thanks a million!!  If you can, hook Bbagg and I up with a hunt (my wife wants to come along too).  Again, it was a pleasure to have known you.  Keep in touch!
"As for this damned old fox, the Devil himself could not catch him."

Pete!

Quote from: duckcreek51 on July 02, 2013, 11:13:16 PM
P.S.  I almost forgot....It has been a great honor to have met such a great person as Pete!  He was one of the instructors at my first Appleseed and he helped me a lot!  Pete, you will be greatly missed and I hope all good in Alaska and in the program.  Thanks a million!!  If you can, hook Bbagg and I up with a hunt (my wife wants to come along too).  Again, it was a pleasure to have known you.  Keep in touch!

Ah shucks, you are too kind.  It's a pleasure to instruct and help good folks like you.  It more than makes up for the pain! (Knees, feet, sunburn, etc.)

It's not hard to find hunting in Alaska; but, I'll see what I can do! 
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Spooky130

All,

Thanks for a great experience last weekend!  As a history major and American I definitely enjoyed learning more about the days leading up to the Revolution - very interesting.  I did a little additional research regarding Samuel Whittemore - I imagine his history pre- April 19, 1775 was just as interesting as his acts that day.

I think I'll upgrade rifles for the next Appleseed - the bolt action was a bit slow for the stage 2/3 due primarily to a less than stellar magazine set up.  I think I'd do much better with sights that didn't require "Kentucky Windage" as well!

Overall I had a great time - the crowd was large which I think slowed us down a bit as I would have liked to get through a few more AQTs.  The weather was...fun?  Only downside was getting burned by some .223 brass!