News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

March 19-20, Leonard, TX AAR

Started by starfox, March 21, 2011, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfox

We had a very good inaugural event at Top Gun in Leonard, TX.  Attendance was low, with only 5 shooters on Saturday and three on Sunday.  With the instructors present though this allowed for good one-on-one instruction.

Kirk (spitstickler) did the lion's share of the instruction on Saturday as he was testing for Red Hat.  Needless to say he passed with flying colors and continues to show why he is one of the finest instructors and Appleseeders Texas has to offer.

All the shooters showed great progress during Saturday and we shot our first AQT by afternoon's end.  Greg and his son Alex were shooting great for not having made Saturday morning (due Greg's commitments as a doctor).  Trevor and Frank rang in with high scores on that first AQT.  Everyone showed improvement on the final redcoat.

Sunday we had only three shooters, so some of the instructors broke out the centerfires and shot.  All the shooters were improving steadily during the AQT grind.  Kirk and Lauren re-qualified with their ARs.  Frank was knocking on the door pretty loudly by the last AQT and is already signed up for the Terrell shoot where I hope to present him with his Rifleman's patch.

Even though attendance was low due to an aggressive first date, it was great to be out in perfect weather sharing the history and heritage with our motivated shooters.  We are looking at another shoot at Top Gun in August and may coordinate with the Frisco area Civil Air Patrol cadets to help fill the line.

Top Gun is a great range and the owner is supportive of our Mission. With so many restrictions on ranges in the DFW area, Top Gun provides a great resource to North Texas's shooting community.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

scuzzy

Quote from: starfox on March 21, 2011, 02:20:35 PM

Kirk (spitstickler) did the lion's share of the instruction on Saturday as he was testing for Red Hat.  Needless to say he passed with flying colors and continues to show why he is one of the finest instructors and Appleseeders Texas has to offer.

Yup, Kirk did good. I'm proud to know him and I'm sure most all Texas is too.

All the shooters showed great progress during Saturday and we shot our first AQT by afternoon's end.  Greg and his son Alex were shooting great for not having made Saturday morning (due Greg's commitments as a doctor).  Trevor and Frank rang in with high scores on that first AQT.  Everyone showed improvement on the final redcoat.

We certainly did have some good shooters. I worked with Frank quite a bit on Saturday and I liked him quite a lot. And he shoots good too. He's a good Texan. Reddot and I worked with Greg and Alex when they got to the shoot late Saturday. Greg is almost there as far as expert shot goes. Greg, if you read this, all you need now is working on 'respiratory pause' and also, relax them shoulders. You were tensing up. You're almost there buddy.

Sunday we had only three shooters, so some of the instructors broke out the centerfires and shot.  All the shooters were improving steadily during the AQT grind.  Kirk and Lauren re-qualified with their ARs.  Frank was knocking on the door pretty loudly by the last AQT and is already signed up for the Terrell shoot where I hope to present him with his Rifleman's patch.

Glad to hear Frank will be out again. Anybody want to bet a nickle that he'll get the patch at Terrell?

Even though attendance was low due to an aggressive first date, it was great to be out in perfect weather sharing the history and heritage with our motivated shooters.  We are looking at another shoot at Top Gun in August and may coordinate with the Frisco area Civil Air Patrol cadets to help fill the line.

Quality over quantity. It was a good shoot. And if we get the CAP out they'll be plenty of shooters next time.

Top Gun is a great range and the owner is supportive of our Mission. With so many restrictions on ranges in the DFW area, Top Gun provides a great resource to North Texas's shooting community.

Yup, Terry seems to really like Appleseed. He had all sorts of promo ideas he talked to me and Chuck on Friday night. I'm sure he'll do some work in his area to get people out for the next shoot.

On Saturday I had two people show up that just wanted to come out and see what was up. I did a 'promo' speech saying how they really need to come out. I'm glad we had plenty of instructors otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance to talk up Appleseed with the local gentlemen. Gave them a bunch of flyers and asked them to pass them out. Both people seemed interested. Said it sounding pretty good. I said yup.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison