News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

6 shooting steps really do work

Started by Kratos, April 06, 2009, 02:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kratos

I was in the forest today (beautiful, perfect weather -- sunny, no rain, few clouds, mid 60s, quiet) to sight in my rifle with a friend who also needed to sight in his rifle.  Long story short, I must say that when I actively thought about the 6 steps to shooting, I was grouping 1" at ~75 yards with iron sights -- some of them holes through holes!   :))  When I didn't actively think about the 6 steps, I would not group as well.   :(  Think about them again, and my next shot was corrected.  Talked my friend through the steps and he also improved within an hour.  This stuff really does work!

I look forward to attending my next Appleseed and using my new shooting mat!

Francis Marion

'Dude,

Shooting is a journey to a specific destination:  hitting your aim. 
If you have a trip to make, isn't it helpful to have a concise, efficient map of where you're going?  As opposed to randomly wandering about, hoping you'll somehow stumble upon the place you mean to find?

Having, and knowing how to use a map makes your journey far more pleasant and purposeful.

And yet, shooters do not obtain a 'marksmanship map' when they buy a rifle, nor does a mechnic buy skill when they buy a tool set.  In both cases, people need to learn the necessary skills to effectively use their tools. 
It's a privilege to share the heritage and skill of marksmanship with our fellow Americans. 

Colorado Pete

When you get to the point where you can do all of them correctly and quickly without having to consciously think about it, you'll REALLY like it!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Fred

...and then you'll decide it's time to get out of the deck chair, and show some other fellow Americans how to do it - and you'll like that even more!! [Ask any RWVA instructor!]

"Learn to shoot today; teach to shoot tomorrow" - Appleseed!

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Wade

Quote from: Fred on April 06, 2009, 07:05:02 AM

...and then you'll decide it's time to get out of the deck chair, and show some other fellow Americans how to do it - and you'll like that even more!! [Ask any RWVA instructor!]

"Learn to shoot today; teach to shoot tomorrow" - Appleseed!

O0

Fred you missed another point of teaching, I find when teaching I learn even more (you didn't really think I do this as a selfless act did you?).

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

AmbulanceDriver

Ya know, it really is amazing what a difference it makes.  I think that the 6 steps, combined with FINDING and TRUSTING your NPOA will put any shooter into a whole different class.  Because at that point the shooter and rifle really are one entity, part of the same machine, designed to put rounds on target accurately and efficiently.