News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Yakima WA Oct. 18-19 2008 Appleseed in Apple country

Started by Fredness, October 21, 2008, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredness

After Action Report (Bay 3)
George and I shared bay 3 with 14 perspective riflemen:
3 shooters had their riflemen status confirmed this weekend, the remaining 11 will get it through persistence and applying the skills learned. 

This was the most difficult of the 3 Appleseeds I have attended, due to the conditions.
The physical separation of the range bays made communications a pain, but, we prevailed in the end.  With wind gusts high enough to knock down an entire row of targets (or cause them to flip, repeatedly, on their axis in bay 1!), near blinding late afternoon sun, mini dust storms and all, we had our work cut out for us. 

Gear issues topped the list, as time killers (as always).  There were some shooters without slings, many "unproven" combinations (new weapons, new scopes, new triggers, fresh reloads, never before tested sights - to name a few), and general maintenance issues forced some shooters to lose points.  I highly recommend taking all new combinations to the range to be sure they are sighted in before hand as the opening "Red Coats" were spared many casualties (not good). 

Maintenance:  Rifles should be cleaned before, during and after the shoot.  I do not recommend using copper removing bore solutions just before, or during the weekend.  It will take your next box of rounds to rebuild enough copper fouling to get reliable hits on paper.  I normally use a bore snake on the line, as it removes "chunks" and keeps the chamber clean.  It may help to know that you can't thoroughly clean a rifle, while it is assembled, in 30 seconds using a spray can - it is a marketing ploy.

Slings:  A sling is a "must have" - GI, Green Cotton Web Slings are best (I'm a convert!).  They are available from Fred for $5; you should have 2, at least.  If you don't know how to use it, or mount it, we can fix that quickly.

Ammunition: It is always best to find the rounds that function best in your rifle and stick with them (same manufacturer, brand, lot number and batch), as even slight variations will cause your zero's to be lost.

Sights and Optics:  If you mount optics on your rifle it is always best to make sure it can be co-witnessed or used with the iron sights.  We had 2 scope failures (Cracked optics and a loose mount) that had to be stripped on the line during a prep-period to allow them to continue.  I have a range finding scope that is on a quick-release, but it can be used with the iron sights at the same time.  Best of both worlds - so when the optics fail, it is a simple tilt of the head to continue the fight.  We also had 2 "[very] high dollar" optics removed in favor of iron sights as the 4 MOA red dot didn't allow for the level of accuracy needed.  Hmmm....
Apr '08 Wenatchee, WA: 179 start, 205 finish - Cook  :P (Saiga .308-1)
Aug '08 Castle Rock, WA: 226 start, 234 finish - Rifleman - IIT :) (Walmart 10/22)

Wheeler44

38 shooters each day ( I think, Ill check with GarthVader) 7 Riflemen, at least as many at or above 200.  Many shooters got into the 180's and 190's before SAS (Sunday afternoon syndrome) set in. 

We had shooters from around the region. We had new shooters, experienced shooters, old shooters and young shooters. Each and every one a delight to work with.

I have a list of prospective IITs ( so many that we may soon be able to export help instead if importing as we have in the past), we have folks steppin' up to help in other ways too.

Yep, there should be a couple of new DARs in what used to be my region. Yeehaw, three DARs in the NW.

Oh what's that Wheeler? Used to be your region? What's up, please tell.

Folks, new instructor and member RL has volunteered to be the State Coordinator for Oregon. (Applause)  Hurry up and get your position here before all of the good ones are taken.

I'll have GarthVader post the numbers later.

All in all a great shoot and a grand time.

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

RL

Didn't we have more like 46 or so the first day? I think there was 18 in bay 1 and 14 in both 2 and 3.
I had a great time. We got many new shooters involved, and a few that really taking Appleseed seriously.
I have volunteered to be State Coordinator in Or. Appleseed is such a fantastic program that I feel compelled.
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

robert beals

I first read of RWVA and Appleseed in Shotgun News, last year.  The need for citizen marksmanship has really struck home with me.  The emasculation of our country has irreparably damaged our traditions and erased our heritage.  I am proud that a few good men have stood tall and spoke loudly of our history and refuse to let our skills with a rifle disappear!
     I, also want to be a rifleman and to represent my ancestors' values if the need arises.   The Marines taught me the steps in 89 and how to use a sling.  I really needed the refresher! 
     I attended the Moxee clinic on Sat, Oct 18th.  I regret not staying for Sunday.  Money issues prevented that.  The course was a helluva lot of fun and Stephan was a good instructor.  I felt I relearned a great deal, but have a long way to go. 
     I had a bunch of personal issues.  My sling keeper wouldn't hold tight, but I was able to purchase a new Garand sling for my M1A from Stephan. 
     OBTAIN A SHOOTING JACKET!!!  The tight sling and the tire tread rubber butt plate on the Springfield plastic stock(textured and painted GI stock that fred will sell you for $100 cheaper) really ground up my shoulder.  Very uncomfortable in the afternoon.  Also, the butt plate added more than an inch to the length of pull which made obtaining a good sitting position very difficult.  I am barely taller than the rifle so you should understand my predicament.
     Next time, I attend, I will shoot my AR or get a slung and peeped 10/22 to economically practice the 6 steps.  I can save the M1A for the long range stuff.
     Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club has a 200 yard range and four bays for the 25m stuff.  They are @ svrifle.com.  I'd love to see Appleseed a little closer to the big city.
     I hope to see you all again soon.  I will put the December Appleseed on my schedule. 

wcmartin1

Quote from: robert beals on October 24, 2008, 01:46:37 AM
     OBTAIN A SHOOTING JACKET!!!  The tight sling and the tire tread rubber butt plate on the Springfield plastic stock(textured and painted GI stock that fred will sell you for $100 cheaper) really ground up my shoulder.  Very uncomfortable in the afternoon.  Also, the butt plate added more than an inch to the length of pull which made obtaining a good sitting position very difficult.  I am barely taller than the rifle so you should understand my predicament.

You can get a shooting jacket, an M14 folding buttplate, and an M14 cleaning kit from Fred's.  The GI buttplate will work on your fiberglass Springfield stock and it will also give you a place to store the GI cleaning kit.  ;)
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837