News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lima and other event promotions!

Started by Dangerous D, September 26, 2011, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous D

One of our biggest challenges lately has been getting shooters signed up and to show up.  Please get the word out any way you can to get people out on the line.  This is a great time of year to shoot.  You might encourage from the following directions- Those that plan to hunt can improve their skills for the hunting season.  Those that want to get kids into shooting sports can get a great foundation of safety and skill at an AS.  As we all know they'll get much more from AS but these things might help to encourage them to give AS a try. 

Lima had no shooters last time....we can do MUCH better than that this time! 

techres

If you need some videos for gunshow or internet gun forum promotions, I have few that are ready to roll if you want to use them.

Let me know!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Corvette

If Lima sign ups are still in the dumper, is there a Boy Scout troop in the area we can cut a deal with to get a group on the line?  Has anybody ever reached out to the Boy Scouts of America? I am sure someone has already come up with this idea and there are a million reasons to not do it, but hey its an idea I thought I would throw out.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Followup to prior post:

Rifle Shooting is still a merit badge activity for a Scout.  Here is the link to the badge requirements. Similar to what we teach at Appleseed and with a little planning we could do our stuff and give them some time on Sun to have their Troop leader augment our instructions with any Scout requirements we have not already covered so the kids could qualify for their merit badges if they shoot well enough.

http://www.usscouts.org/mb/mb123.asp

There is a Troop 80 in North Lima that has about a dozen boys in it. If we could get six of them to sign up with their fathers, that's a full line. 

http://troop80bsa.clubspaces.com/Default_css.aspx

Just a suggestion to maybe fill the line quickly. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

KAH

Great suggestion Corvette.  The BSA is a good connection, though they are not permitted to have magazines/tube feeds.  They shoot single shot only, as I understand it.

That being said, you are correct that they can learn a tremendous amount of rifle marksmanship as well as heritage.  Perhaps inviting them as a non-official BSA event, just a group of boys and their fathers.  Let them work out the details for the merit badge portion (what they will count, and what they won't).

Can you send an e-mail, or reach out to the Troop Leader, and see what you can do?

Thanks for all your efforts!!
kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Corvette

KAH, done, I copied you on my email, lets see what happens.

Corvette

Ratchett

Corvette and KAH,

You might check with Messer454 as he had some scouts at the last Piqua shoot. I believe they were working on merit badges too.

In His grip,
julia

Quote from: KAH on September 27, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
Great suggestion Corvette.  The BSA is a good connection, though they are not permitted to have magazines/tube feeds.  They shoot single shot only, as I understand it.

That being said, you are correct that they can learn a tremendous amount of rifle marksmanship as well as heritage.  Perhaps inviting them as a non-official BSA event, just a group of boys and their fathers.  Let them work out the details for the merit badge portion (what they will count, and what they won't).

Can you send an e-mail, or reach out to the Troop Leader, and see what you can do?

Thanks for all your efforts!!
kah
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Corvette

Ratchet, thanks for contact from the Piqua shoot.  I will PM him and find out how he organized and what he learned and/or would do differently.   No reason to reinvent the wheel or repeat past mistakes. 

Corvette

Corvette

PM to Messer454 sent, you were copied. 

WY_Not

My understanding of the single shot limitation is that it is for "official" BSA events. If say a bunch of the boys and their parents were to happen to all show up at the same place at the same time and not be in uniform, they are good to go. That might not follow the full spirit of the the BSA "law" but it follows the letter.
Joseph
aka WY_Not (IIT3)