News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Second Las Cruces Appleseed

Started by TaosGlock, March 23, 2009, 07:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Las Cruces's second Appleseed! What an event it was. In just 3 weeks we nearly tripled the amount of American's we got to the line.
The event was held at the covered pistol bay at the Butterfield Shooting Range.

Less than half of our shooters were local, one man was visiting from Denver (about 650 miles), one couple had driven 400 miles from Phoenix, and we had several from Santa Fe and Albuquerque and a lady from Deming who worked at Border Patrol from midnight to 6 before and after the AS! A few were from Columbus, NM.
What a fantastic group!

We had two new IIT's step up to teach: Staplegund and traveler. A huge thanks to both!
Our other IIT's, Buck, spinner, CSHR and duc-dog all returned again with bigger buckets to help out!  Thanks again!
SamD, BlueFeather and I filled in the gaps.

We had an amazing diversity of rifles. A couple of old vintage Marlin levers, an M1A, 4 AR's, a couple of AK's, a few bolt guns and the usual mix of 795's and 10/22's. AQT scores got close to 180's with lots of improvement on day 2.

The temp was a very reasonable hi 70's to lo 80's. The usual bright NM sun required all of us to use sunscreen.
The wind required staking the targets wire down a bit more and Sunday wind hit gusts to 30mph which caused a couple of mats to go airborne.
We got that handled and and did not let up on the AQT's.
Despite precautions, by about 4:00 Sunday, the wind was blowing sand such that eyes and firearms were taking a toll. We then finished up with the last Redcoat and the usual closing ceremonies.

Thanks to all you great shooters for making this Appleseed a success and also for hanging out with us later to pack up.

The Land of Enchantement is perfectly complimented the RWVA flags.

CSHR starts it off with the Redcoats.

Prone demo with Buck & CSHR

Buck fires off the 6 steps to firing the shot.

Instructing on the line.

Sunrise on the target line on Day 2.

Admin table with SamD and BlueFeather.

Traveler lends his expertise on the loop sling.

Over lunch we tell the story of April 19th, 1775. The day our Nation was born.
From Paul Revere's ride to Lexington to Concord's North Bridge to Meriam's Corner and back to Boston.
Bring your lunch as you don't want to miss the details that have been forgotten.
There were many dangerous women in the Revolutionary War.
Women fought alongside the men.Amid the cheers of the women shooters, BlueFeather tells the story of Nancy Hart.

This young shooter worked a detach 5 rd 22 bolt gun faster than most grown rifleman can work their Mausers.
And for 2 grueling days of sun and winds. Impressive!

These AR shooters drove all the way from Albuquerque to join us!
Geneva, center, a dance instructor and her crew really made those AR's sing.
We are looking forward to working with them again at our Albuquerque shoot in June.

SamD finds a hat suitable for desert Appleseeding.

A change in the COF requires a small pow wow. BF, me and SamD discuss, while duc-dog watches the line.

This M1A shooter was plagued with problems but persisted big time throughout the whole weekend.

Shooters in sitting position on Stage 2 of the AQT.

A huge thanks to everyone who attended!
CSHR took a few of the pics posted here too! Thanks!

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

BlueFeather

Where's our Barney?  I wanna see Barney!   >:D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

SamD

This was an absolutely fantastic bunch.
Full of enthusiasm and eager to learn.

Several shooter banging on the door real hard.

The 3 AR shooters from ABQ were great. They a had a couple of issues with the rifles but finally got working them through and were making good progress. The young lady was running at the 140 level while suffering from a deflicted eyeball. A really bad effected her shooting, but we will see her and her friends again on the trail. She already offered to help with promotions for ABQ in June. They are wired and inspired.

One gentleman worked over the AQT on Saturday with an older 39 A Marlin, a solid 160-170 level of performance with a bead and buckhorn and breaking NPOA every shot to operate that lever.  Real impressive. He'll be a rifleman soon.
One family came, grandfather, son, wife and 10 year old grandson.  I was thoroughly impressed. As safe a shooter as any adult, and as attentative. Like any youngster we always watch real hard for safety's sake, It was not necessary in any way.  Needed not 1 bit more attention than an adult.  I'll be happy to share a line with him any day.  Another couple of years adn he won't be giving any points up to anyone.  

MamaBuck came to see what her son had been telling her about, I predict we'll have an orange hat on her soon.

A very fruitful weekend, with a group that openly expressed their appreciation.  Makes every bit of it worthwhile.

LayloPro

Makes every bit of it worthwhile.

It truly does, doesn't it?  O0 <:) O0

Good shoot guys, & congrats on those new IIT's!! Way to go, guys!! :~ O0 :~

Looks like "2" is having a good time as well......thanks for taking him in the way you all have......

Rock on, guys, we're gonna get this done eventually!! :~ :~ :~

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

TaosGlock

Quote from: BlueFeather on March 23, 2009, 09:41:55 PM
Where's our Barney?  I wanna see Barney!   >:D
We split into 2 teams for the Barney targets. 20 rounds in two minutes from prone! Team A won. Here it is:

75% of the shots were COM hits with about an ES of 12 MOA. :~
In fact, this COF may have produced the tightest groups of the day. Gee..... <:)
Naturally this was a huge event for our youngest shooter! O0 >:D
Guess who went home with a stack of 25M Barney's. @) 8)
Thanks to travler for the Barney's!
Great motivator for all the shooters. ^-^
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

LayloPro

Man!!! I have GOT to get me some of those targets!!
Death to Barney from good great NPOA!! I love it!! **) **) **) :~ :~ :~

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

voortrekker

Howdy New Mexico!

After reading about this event and seeing the pictures on this thread.........words cannot express in how far New Mexico as forwarded Liberty through Appleseed Project.

Others that read this post from other states might not know New Mexico's beginning with Appleseed, I know them from the El Paso shoot in 10-2008.

I want to say within a very short time(since 10-2008) they are shining very, very bright.

A few dedicated Americans in New Mexico made it happen.

THANK YOU TaosGlock, Bluefeather, SamD, and Buck and others.

I was looking at those pictures, seeing Bluefeather and Taosglock and Buck working together, considering that I've met you all on the Appleseed firing line, it made my eyes swell up with tears of joy.

Taosglock with his Red Hat.

Bluefeather donning her new green Shoot Boss hat.

And, seeing Buck wearing his Orange hat.

Simply outstanding for a state that recently jumped on board.  Whatever y'all did, I'd like to know to use as a model of things done right.

The pictures for the 2nd Las Cruces Appleseed were fantastic!  Somebody has a talent for taking great pics!

This picture is for Buck.  This picture was taken in 10-2008 in El Paso.

Buck, I don't know if you venture to this forum or not.  Hopefully you do.

If so, remember this quote, it is one that I've always carried with me since your age.

"You may be whatever you resolve to be."
                         - "Stonewall" Jackson, CSA

Take care All.

Brett
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

BlueFeather

He you go on the Barney targets:  http://www.tuffsteel.com/PDFtargets/barney.pdf

We felt people out a little first to make sure it would be acceptable!  We ended up with requests for a teletubby too, so we will have to paste up one of our own.

Thank you voortrekker for keeping track of us!  Buck has really blossomed as an IIT in just a few shoots... his excitement is contagious and he is going to be an awesome red hat.  We are trying to get Mamabuck on the trail too. 

You meet the best people at Appleseeds!

BlueFeather
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

TaosGlock

Wow voortrekker (is that name Afrikaans?), it seems ages ago we last met up, yet in reality it was only yesterday. BlueFeather made rifleman and your simple but precise words to me while on the standing stage of the RFAQT: "remember to let down and breathe" finally got me over the 230 slump.
I remember your awesome crew well (Johnny Appleseed, Scout, SNAITF) You all motivated us to become instructors. We could not wait to jump in and BlueFeather and I were in Phoenix a few weeks later with the dynamic duo of AZGromit and AZRedhawk44 (who joined us next month in Alamogordo).  We met up with CSHR in Phoenix who made Rifleman there. Next month Scout was at our house for an IBC.
What an awesome program!
And I liked that Maxpedition pack you had! BF and I now both own a set!

LayloPro

Heh! Thank you kindly, BF!! I have a special shoot idea, just for the "big dinosaur"...... **) :~ **)

You guys have really been rocking the SW, & the results are starting to show a lot of increasing momentum....keep it rolling!!

Thanks again, & we'll TTYS. ;)

LLP

Trigger

Allow this short note to deliver quantities of gratitude to each of the Appleseed Las Cruces volunteers.  You are ladies and gentlemen without exception allowing my family to feel welcome and comfortable. 

The dinner table at our home on Saturday evening was filled with nothing but shooting conversation.  My wife didn't know what had happened to us!  My young grandson led most of that evenings conversation.  This will remain a wonderful memory for our family.  The flame of a patriot was ignited in all...

The Phoenix contingent has already made plans to be at their range next week-end honing skills and marching on toward the well defined goals you fine folks taught us.  We all hope to cross paths soon with each of you.

Best to all.  Stay in touch.  Stay the course.

traveler

Every time I come to one of these shoots I learn something.  I didn't even shoot this time and learned that helping is just as satisfying as aerating paper:-)  If you like don't like the Barneys they also have garden gnomes:-)

The impossible just takes a little longer.

SamD

Welcome trigger.

It was a pleasure to have your family on the range.

You'll find our AZ Appleseeders to be good people.

Sam

spinner

Here it is, two days after the shoot and I am still amazed at the absolute skill and dedication of all who showed up for the training.  My absolute belief is that if the winds had been calm and dirt had not been blowing in our eyes, mouths and rifles, many who attended would have made Rifleman.

For those of you who are not IIT's yet, I would highly recommend pursuing it.  So much can be learned from behind the line - both from the shooting and psychological aspects.  The word is getting out...we are growing...and YOU are part of this!

spinner

Buck

QuoteBuck, I don't know if you venture to this forum or not.  Hopefully you do.
Ya I'm on here, and I have to agree with you on this New Mexico crew, Maybe it's our excellent chile? Seriously though, our instructors; SamD, TaosGlock, and Bluefeather are exceptionally dedicated, motivated people and are the reason for the success here in Southern New Mexico. Really good to hear from you, just to let you know, I made rifleman at the next El Paso appleseed in January :) Hopefully I'll see you again someday, Thanks! ~ Buck

1911Ron

Congrats on your second appleseed O0  i'm the State Coordinator for Az and was wondering if you have contact info for the Phoenix contingent?  I hope to meet up with you folks soon. :)  1911Ron

SamD

We don't, but ask Trigger,
He can get in touch with them

No don't, we're going to get them to migrate to NM and you can't have 'em  ;)

The Machine

Quote from: SamD on March 25, 2009, 10:46:54 PM
We don't, but ask Trigger,
He can get in touch with them

No don't, we're going to get them to migrate to NM and you can't have 'em  ;)

So is that the secret to success in NM Sam; you kidnap migrate instructors from other states? No wonder your Instructor Corps grew so rapidly. I always heard a lot of strange things happen in the desert, and they don't call you the "Desert Fox" for nothing. ;D

Congratulations anyhow, no matter what subversive tactics you all are using out there to grow the program.

Whoever does the photos has a nice camera. Your pictures are always crisp and clear, a real treat for the eyes.

I like how that youngin' was working that bolt gun, ready to make Barney sing a new tune.  >:D

I will try to get out there some day, hopefully to join in on a Teletubby massacre.  :~

NM is an inspiration, keep up the good work.  O0
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

SamD

Thanks Machine.
We only migrate shooters, not instructors.
Good crew here, just spread out all over the place so it makes a nice drive to get anywhere.

Sort of like driving to Wheeling to buy milk.

Fred

Quote from: The Machine on March 26, 2009, 01:58:20 AM

NM is an inspiration, keep up the good work.  O0

Which is an example, if any of us need one, of how important what we are and what we do is.

The "ripples" we create have important results not only directly, but, indirectly, in effecting and motivating others.

Sorta a "twofer" none of us should ever forget...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

PHenry

This is great news!

To see people that I served as an instructor become driving forces in the program - who needs pay!

To TaosGlock, BlueFeather, and SamD - my hat is off to all of you. (I am a little jealous of SamD though - you know how long it took me to git a sweatshirt!  :)))

Great to see the pics of all ya'll - keep up the good work.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

CSHR

Laylopro, Congrats on the green hat. Surprised that you remembered the "two" non-de-plume, thanks. I told them to pronounce it 'Cheshire', as in the grinning cat that plagued Alice  :-)

The Machine: The pics are from Taos Glock and me(Canon SD850). I declined an orange hat in Phoenix and accepted it in Corona with the caveat that I was headed to El Paso for work. Is that considered kidnapping or migration or ??

I must add my cudo's to all the shooters, they persisted and appeared happy doing it!!! Trigger, your grandson with the bolt gun has a great attitude and determination.

I understand hard work and dedication, BlueFeather&TaosGlock are the epitome of it. The weekends are a pleasure to spend with them and the other iit's.

CSHR

"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

SamD

CSHR
AHAE
LOTC
IOEY
FT C
OE L
RR I
NS N
I    G
A

The Machine

QuoteThe Machine: The pics are from Taos Glock and me(Canon SD850). I declined an orange hat in Phoenix and accepted it in Corona with the caveat that I was headed to El Paso for work. Is that considered kidnapping or migration or ??

I like always liked Canon cameras for their price/performance breakdown.

As for that last bit...sounds like a lot of monkeying around to me!  ;D
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

LayloPro

Machine,

Naw, no monkeys.......just ask JB about his combat mutant ninja attack monkeys & the "great reception" they get out here...... **) &) :~

He was a bit reserved about it all, & I kept pestering him to take it, whether or not he was instructing here, or in El Paso, made no diff to me..... O0

Guess he finally figured I'd shut up already if he took it, so we gave him his patches, rockers, & hat, & sent him on his way with some introductions...... I figured that since he already knew Taos & BF, the next two would be SamD & WestTx, & he'd fit right in with those two gents....and looky how good that's working out for 'em..... ^-^ O0 :))

I -LOVE IT- when a plan comes together...... >:D O0 :D

Cheshire might work......just keep grinnin' at 'em.....maybe they'll buy it....... **) ::) ++)

Don't know about Sam's def....out here, recycling means picking up your empties & reloading them to shoot again...... **) :~ :~ ^-^

Keep 'em guessing, & thanks for the kind words.....we missed ya this last shoot @ Corona..... :-[

LLP

TaosGlock

PHenery, it is enthusiasm and dedication like yours had that gets shooters on the line and then into the instructor program.

SamD

Hey,
I have a great idea.
Lets blame NM on PHenry, Atticus and ashrn03

It's all their fault O0

PHenry

That kind of "blame" I can handle - the more, the merrier!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Captwa

Hey Y'all,

Thanks to all participants in the Mar. 21-22 Appleseed .  I was astounded by the professionalism and dedication of the instructor corps and the talent and knowlege they brought to bear on us lowly cooks. 

Wouldnt you know , I got my package from Freds M-14s when I got home! Lots of targets and rifleman books to hand to friends! In many ways its better to have gotten the goods after the Appleseed .  I have a better understanding of Freds priorities and am no longer disgruntled towards him ( I ordered months ago !) but will support the "cause" in my own fashion. In short " I get it" .

The learning to shoot better is just one part of what I brought out of the get together. I enjoyed the apolitical political action committee aspect of Appleseed as well.  I have had the good fortune to walk several Revolutionary battlefields and look into the hearts and minds of our forebears. Their attitude and fortitude are still living ,among other places , in the people of the Appleseed organization.

My M1A went back to the factory to get fixed . You guys with the "Commie" guns just wait till my next Appleseed!

Thanks to you all.

Warren

BlueFeather

Welcome Capt. Wa   -- your tenacity with  your M1A was truly inspirational, and we all appreciated that you came all the way from up north!  Any chance we might see you again in Raton on April 18-19th?  Or Albuquerque, should be late June. We have several other seamen among us... notably Sarducci, who lives in Taos.  Ahh, nothing like the smell of salt air and everything you own getting rusty!

You got a shooting jacket? You will find that makes a great difference in comfort.  And it has a perfect place to sew that patch you'll be getting soon!

Hope to see you on the trail.

BlueFeather