News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento, CA Jan 17/18

Started by Arc, January 19, 2009, 03:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polygunner

"Take a look at that AQT folks.

First half of the second stage completely missing, five shots down, a lowly 24 score."

Those holes can be found on my buddys target, to my left.
That seemed to be my biggest problem. The last two targets on Sat, I did the same thing.
It happens after reloads. I reload then get a sight pic. if it's on target I assume it's my target and shoot away.  Oops.
That's why there's a box of ammo with a number on it in front of the M1-A. It helped a lot but not 100%. ++)

Fun,fun,fun
pg

Francis Marion

Well done, Polygunner!
Notice the LTR he has made- with an M14 stock. 
Excellent rig.

socalserf

Quote from: V on January 25, 2009, 04:57:38 PM
Take a look at that AQT folks.

First half of the second stage completely missing, five shots down, a lowly 24 score.

Did this Rifleman give up? Did he say, no point shooting the rest then?

No, the only shot that matters to a Rifleman is the one he's about to take.

Shoot every shot rapidfire, with your rifleman's cadence, inside your rifleman's bubble.

Persist.

Great job PG.

A beautiful target to be sure!
Well done indeed.
A lot of pople have trouble with the second stage.
This is proof to anyone who needs it that you can have one poor stage and still do very well.

Like V says, "Shoot every shot rapidfire, with your rifleman's cadence, inside your rifleman's bubble."
Words to live by!

And don't worry about not taking on the Orange Hat of an ITT, there is a role for every talent and aptitude here. Just pick one for your self and go for it, any and all help is welcome.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

SavageShootr

Hey DesertRat,

Welcome to the forum.

In your heart and mind you are already a Rifleman. I have faith that you will make the score too. If your front sight had not loosened up on you, I'm certain that you would have made the score on Sunday. (I won't mention the target thing)

Remember to dry fire and get into the positions between now and April 19th weekend.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

addiction

Long over due, been down with the flu, but I did want to provide some feedback.

This was my second shoot, I went to one in Fallen NV last year.

General observations.

Things I liked:

-great location

-lots of instructors

-Fun to have the powder gun at lunch time

-great using the rifle stock for the demos

-great motivational leadership

Things I think were done better in NV

-the history was broken into three parts, and told one strike in the morning of the first day, second strike was later in that day, and the final strike was on the second day. I really preferred that format, it got me thinking about what I was doing and why early, and slowly filled in as the weekend progressed.

-smaller group, this allowed a faster pace. When ever you get a large group together, the entire group must move at the pace of the slowest person. I really found the pace slow, even my buddy, to whom this was all new felt we were moving slowly. I was always asking because I know the second time round things would seem slower, but my feelings were confirmed.

-Too much time spent on shooting squares and not enough shooting AQTs,

Suggestions:

-for large groups, break them into smaller working groups, I know this will be somewhat limited by what the range will permit. Also consider separating the group based on those who feel that they want to be worked hard and those that do not. In NV, I very much had the feeling that I was being pressed to move faster, and worked harder, I really liked that, it is why I was there, not everyone wants that, but that was part of the fun for me.

-consider 1st time appleseed shooters separated from repeat shooters, would eliminate some of the pace issues

-set a time limit on every action, you started to do this on the second day, and things started to move along better, if there is no time limit and/or the is no consequences for being slow, then you are doomed move too slow. IF you set a standard and move at that pace and if someone misses a shooting session because they were not ready, they will be ready next time.....

-Start the weekend on time, set the standard for timelyness right out of the box, anyone who is late misses out, and has to wait, I would suggest, give the opening talk at 9am, if someone misses it, then do it again for those who were late, at say 10am, if someone misses the 9am, they have to wait and will realize that there is a expectation to be on time, and execute with respect to time.

Hope some of these ideas help.....

Jim

socalserf

Thanks for the feed back Addiction.

We love to hear both pros and cons as we are commited to improvement.

Say, you seem like a very perceptive fellow, any interest in taking your commitment to the next level?
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

SavageShootr

Hey addiction,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your feedback. It was a pleasure to be in Sacramento and work that event. Thank You for coming out.

We are a "work in progress" and can certainly use the feedback in order to improve.

Glad you are feeling better.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

BaldDragn

Thanks addiction.

The idea of two groups is interesting.

My wife and I were on the slow side, both of us having medical issues to contend with and both being first timers, and with the size of the group we often found ourselves asking each other what the last command was.

We are both working on our flexibility and using dry firing. I'm lucky to have a long hallway with a large mirror at the end (very 70s) so I can lay out prone in the kitchen and dry fire at the target on top of the stove effectively 79 feet away. That should keep the two story neighbors from worrying what I'm doing with the rifle out in my back yard. I'm still hurting a bit when I try to get my elbow directly under the stock but we are making progress!
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

SavageShootr

BD,

Great job!! You will be ready for the next event.  O0

Are you making the trip to Fresno or are you waiting until Apr 18-19 back there at the Sacramento Valley Gun Club in Ione?

You will know when the elbow is far enough under the rifle by watching the sights. 

Hope you are healing and Jules is well. It was truly an honor to meet you both.

~SS

BaldDragn

Having had sleep apnea so bad, for so long, I've learned to set my priorities.

I'd love to be in Fresno (I never thought I'd say that :-\) to get my riflemen badge, but I think I can do more good making contacts closer to home. The sooner we have an active home team that can support itself the sooner we can take this up north.

Texas is doing a great job, we need to keep bailing to stay ahead. ^-^

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Camljr

Just wanted to say, great job on stepping up for the Turlock gun show...

You are an asset to Appleseed... also thanks to the others who promoted and attended.

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Also wanted to say, great pictures of Sunday there... O0
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

BaldDragn

Thanks!

I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to Sacramento Gun Show. I'm finding preaching to the choir suits me.

SAPPER STEEL!

V

Quote from: BaldDragn on February 09, 2009, 03:47:41 AM
Thanks!

I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to Sacramento Gun Show. I'm finding preaching to the choir suits me.

You must have missed the bit about being a missionary to the cannibals then <:)

BaldDragn

Quote from: V on February 09, 2009, 11:11:14 AM
You must have missed the bit about being a missionary to the cannibals then <:)

I tried, but found no cannibals at the gun show.

But once upon a time I married a pretty little liberal who didn't really care for guns ::)

Persevere Riflemen, persevere!  ;D

SAPPER STEEL!

LayloPro

But once upon a time I married a pretty little liberal who didn't really care for guns

O0 <:) O0

Just tell us how you "fixed" that little "problem"....... @) :~

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Camljr

I see he let that sleeping dog lay....  smart man. O0
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

LayloPro

Heh!! I think he's been married for "awhile"....... O0 **) @@)

You'll see...... :D ;D :))
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

MrBill

While surfing youtube for things Appleseed I came across this tidbit of stage two on the third line with several shooters, Bob 210, Rock Chucker (line boss), and my legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjrwnSa_yc
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi