News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento, CA Jan 17/18

Started by Arc, January 19, 2009, 03:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arc

James E

James E

How can any of us thank the volunteer instructors enough?  Funfaler, Savage Shooter, Wade, Rock Chucker, Cameron, Mr. Bill, F-Stop, Desert Dog.  I'm sure there are some I missed.  Each of you had something to make the Appleseed experience something really special.  And more folks behind the scenes who we did not meet.  Phil "V", who I understand is pretty good example of the value of persistence.  And of course, the big locomotive who has been pulling the California freight train along, Bob210.  We owe you all much gratitude for showing us our own heritage again.

Persistence.  I first heard that word applied to marksmanship from Atticus, two month ago in Fallon, Nevada.  "A Rifleman persists," Atticus told me many times, because I needed to hear that more than anything else.  My first AQT in Fallon I shot 168.  That was my best score of the weekend.  I had problems with my sling, my rifle, my ammo, my sights.  Most of my AQT's were under 100.

But I went home determined.  I was inspired by the stories of our Revolution.  I got my equipment problems worked out.  And I practiced dry firing the AQT nearly every day on a scaled down target.  When the Sacramento shoot was announced, I was READY.  Persistence paid off with a 237 on the first AQT Saturday, followed up Sunday with a 236, 234, 234, and a 227 on the Liberty shoot.

I urge YOU to persist.  Be ready for April 19, 2009.

atticus

CONGRATULATIONS JAMES!  Impressive scores! Most people refuse to accept the fact that dry firing is the least expensive and one of the most beneficial forms of practice.

Several messages here folks, one: PERSISTANCE pays off.  Two: repetitive dry firing, following the six steps, works those steps into your muscle memory.  Which translates into smaller groups.   And last: if you haven't thought about jumping in and helping with this program you don't know what you are missing.  It feels great to have someone that you spent a few minutes with over the course of a weekend two months ago mention your name and thank you AGAIN for doing something you already enjoy.  There's not much better.

Thank you James, I look forward to seeing you on the Appleseed trail in the near future.

Atticus
Pugna Pro Patria

Beware of the man that owns only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it.

Have you dry fired your rifle today?

funfaler

Wow!  What a very exciting weekend!

"Getting out of the office" was great, working at the largest California shoot in history, working with a great crew and great group of participants.  THAT is a great way to spend a weekend.  Only my wife and kids can top it.

I am sure there will be many reports, with over 80 participants, there should be many posts on this event.  Not wanting to steal thunder from the Shoot Boss (thanks V) or "ramrod Bob", I can easily say that this was a very successful and very productive shoot.

The Cali Appleseed team is exceptional, and it was an honor to work with them, even as they took every opportunity to hammer me,  call me out and all around harass me at every turn, even my dirty laundry was exposed to untold abuses, and shall remain forever scarred.   :P

The quality of the Appleseed folks may only be matched by the quality of the shooters on the line.  We had over 80, good natured, persistent, dedicated shooters.  These folks shot some very fine groups, with many on the cusp of Rifleman, 6 breaking through the barrier.  Some new IITs, contacts for new CA locations, and many new members to the Appleseed family, willing to take up their buckets and do their part for the Cause. 

The seeds planted in Sacramento, already bearing some fruit, will soon be a solid root in the Appleseed Project. 

Special thanks to the Sacramento Valley Shooting Range, this is a world class facility, with world class folks.  Their support was obvious and greatly appreciated, and it does appear as a good and lasting relationship has been forged.

California, who would have imagined, just a year ago, that this place would become a beacon and example for the whole Appleseed Program?  The greatest lesson to take away, is that seeds sown are worth the effort.  Looking at the seeds that were sown here, and the way they have taken root, should serve as a motivation for all the other Appleseeders.  We have many good folks in the program, sowing the seeds of Hope and Heritage, I want to encourage all to keep up their efforts.  If California can take on the form of a Phoenix, all others can excel as well.

I am excited to see the relationship building, among fellow Appleseeders, becoming much more common.   As I am blessed with the opportunity to meet fellow Appleseeders around the country, the instant "kinship" is obvious, and much more productive than can be imagined.  This puts a new twist and prospect on an event like the coming April 19th events.  An opportunity for fellow Appleseeders to travel, to meet and help their brothers and sisters in the field!  Shame one is forced to only one location on that date  :'(

It does a Spirit good to be in the company of Riflemen!  While preaching to the choir, it is a great reminder to all, that Appleseed is the cure for the down trodden American Spirit!   If being in the presence of Riflemen, of Appleseeders, does not lighten one's heart and Spirit, perhaps they are dead and not knowing it.

My thanks to the whole California crew, those that were at this shoot, those that could not make it, it was a great!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

DesertDog

Great shooting James, you are a tremendous example of the quote at the top of the forum. 

What a weekend for my first shoot as an IIT!!  Atticus is right, having someone thank you for a tip that tightened thier gruop is more satisfying than shooting a 210.  Especialy the kids. I believe that we set the record for the most shooters, 59, on a single appleseed firing line.  I had the honor of that being my first time as Line Boss.  There were a few shooters in my area that were closing in on 210.  Chris, Mike and Bob are right there, just have to put it together on the same AQT.

My favorite moment came at the end of the day on Sunday.  We did a Liberty AQT, 2400 round in 4 min  :~  As I was at the end of the line, you could watch the smoke from the rifles moving through the air with the sun setting in the background.  It was inspiring.  I just watched it for a few moments and knew that we were making a difference in CA.

Big thank yous to V, funfaler, Savage Shooter, f-stop, Francis Marion, rock-chucker, Wade, Camljr and of course Bob for the encouragement and help that made my first IIT so great.  Can't wait for the next one!

DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

V

Wow,

Is California a great state or what? If anyone had any doubts a weekend like this at the heart of this great state, its capital, would have put them to flight.

A quick count of liability forms shows a weekend attendance of 74 shooters. Reconciling checkin sheets, ah the joys of being a shootboss, gives me 86 shooters! 83 on Saturday and 54 on Sunday (hmm, I know I assigned 59 shooting positions because we had to add a backer... ah the joys of admin duty).

On Saturday we split over 3 ranges to learn the marksmanship skills and assembled in one group at lunch for the history and heritage.

On Sunday we aimed for a single line so that everyone could get that incredible experience of massed shooters on the redcoats! With the fall-off from our 26 one-day only shooters and the expected attrition from Saturday this should have been easy. But incredibly the true inner American Rifleman of our attendees lead to many returning despite the pain, many observers-only on Saturday deciding to sign up and shoot Sunday (including one of our Riflemen! more later), giving us a huge 59 shooter line on Sunday.

Thank goodness I bought the bullhorn!

Once again, folks, California has set some records with this shoot. But this is only the beginning. Lets keep the momentum rolling, lets make the April 18/19th Sacramento California event an even bigger blow out.

At this shoot we tried a couple of new things admin wise. We handed out a survey questionnaire and a contact sheet. Thirty people replied to one or the other or both.

The responses show us that this program is the right solution to the country's problems. Everyone was exceptionally happy with the marksmanship instruction. No-one complained that the lack of a patch was because the instruction was bad. Everyone got it that they needed to persist.

But the thing that stood out, that the volunteers in this organization thrive on, were the comments on how the heritage and history had inspired them. Overwhelmingly, the comments were that having just come for a marksmanship course they left with a better appreciation of the priceless gift of their American Heritage and a determination to see it preserved and handed on. Here is one example posted here on the forum.

From 86 shooters we produced 6 Riflemen. One of the tradeoffs of a large turnout is that the percentage of Riflemen we can achieve goes down but the number of people we can touch and awaken goes up. Of our 6 rifleman four of them stepped up to becoming IIT's with a determination to help for the April 18/19th shoot. Folks I thank you.

If those folks can PM with their forum names I can direct them to the materials they need to continue their Appleseed Trail, welcome aboard.

Everyone who attended this event can equally help with a Seventh Step effort of their own: Just tell your friends, family and co-workers about the fun you had here this weekend, take them shooting with you, introduce new people to shooting, and then get them to come to the April 18/19th event when we will once again be back here at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.

For the folks that didn't quite get their scores together, remember: An American Rifleman persists. Dry firing practice at home, a zero cost exercise, is known to be the best method of achieving Rifleman. Shooting at the range is to confirm the effectiveness of your dry fire training. Attending Appleseeds with new shooting friends is how you reward your inner American Rifleman.

Finally, I'd like everyone to thank our hosts, the Folsom Shooting Club, and the range Manager Jack C. Root for making this such a smooth event. Please bring more people to their range and mention that Appleseed is what brought you there.

Once again, thank you Sacramento, for an incredible, rewarding experience.

Sincerely
Phil

Aleeta

I had a fantastic time this weekend, this was my first Appleseed event, and am very happy that my husband suggested that we go!  Thank you to all of our great instructors and IIT's, I learned a tremendous amout this weekend and everyone was knowledgable and helpful!  I am hopeful that I can help others as you have helped me as I start on the path to becoming an IIT as well.  Thank you to Funfaler, t-stop, Savgshootr, and Francis Marion who all spent time helping me to achieve Rifleman by Sunday!  Special thank you to V for running the whole show and brining Appleseed to Northern CA!

I was also encouraged by the turn out, it was exciting to have so many folks there to both experience the history and heritage and the shooting.

I can't wait till the April shoot, though some of my muscles are still protesting :)

Liz N.G.

rock-chucker

Hi all:

dunno where to start.  So many things to say about this Appleseed event, and all of the people involved.

First off, thanks to everyone for coming!  Myfavorite part of being an Appleseeder is getting around to so many parts of the state, being on ranges I never knew existed, and most importantly meeting so many new people...MY kind of people.  It was truly my pleasure meeting and working with all of you students.  Judging by the quality of marksmanship from this group, there is no question in my mind that there will be a great many rifleman badges handed out in April.  Bring it on.  I met so many people of great character at this shoot.  It was also a pleasure to meet fellow Appleseed instructors for the first time.  It is also a distinct pleasure to welcome our new IITs aboard!  thank you for stepping up and putting on the orange hat, Liz.  I know of very few people who got their rifleman badge on their first Appleseed.  Kudos to you for doing just that, AND jumping right in with the 7th step.

thank you for joining us all the way from Kentucky, Funfaler.  I really enjoyed the perspectives you added to the 3-Strikes, and for highlighting the CHOICES made by those who came before us, and what those choices really meant.  Your presence here made for a better experience for all of us.

Thanks for joining us from Washington, Wade.  You come back any time.Great job on your IIT debut, Desert Dog.  I'm looking forward to knowing and working with you for a long time to come.

I think we Californians are justifiably proud of what is being accomplished with appleseed in our state.  having you folks join us from other states is a nice reminder that appleseed is an AMERICAN effort, and people all across the country are working in the unified purpose of restoring greatness to the entire nation.

It was a stressful (I'm sure) experience for one of our shooters to lose his car keys on the range Saturday afternoon.  Individual efforts Saturday evening failed to find them, but 15 seconds of searching by the entire group Sunday morning turned them up.  Just a small example of what the combined efforts of a group of people who are unified in purpose can accomplish.   

Congratulations to our new riflemen!  Persistence and a learning attitude really does make the difference, does it not?  You all demonstrated those attributes in spades, and the results speak for themselves.

In closing, thanks to you modest movers and shakers (you know who you are) who set up this shoot and so many others in the first place.  You know very well what you are about.

Thanks again, all.  Looking forward to seeing you in the future.

R-C

LayloPro

Mo' Pixs?? Was -anybody- shooting a camera out there??? :))
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

socalserf

Congratulations to all those who made it to the Sacramento Shoot!
I want to recognise all of you new Riflemen and IIT's as well.

It sounds like you folks had a wonderful time.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Francis Marion

Sacramento, alive with the Founders' spirit, thank you for the privilege of spending the weekend in your company, immersed in our common heritage.  Where to begin? 
Record attendance.  Community spirit, highlighted by the Great Key Hunt.  Riflemen and Riflewomen persevering to the end, each shooter, each line.  Who would have thought that exercising constitutional rights could be so gratifying? 
I hope you will share what you learned, about shooting and heritage, with your friends and family. 
We saw individuals, groups of friends, families. 

The father and his Marine son spending quality time together over the weekend. 

Another father, seeing how much fun the kids were having on Saturday, took to the line himself on Sunday with a borrowed 22.  And scored Rifleman so many times, he decided sit out some of the AQTs to take photos of his family.

Shooters persevering despite the hazards of unwelcome hot brass lodging in clothing. 

A gentleman shooter firing the whole course standing both days because that's the only position his body could take.

And regular folks, by dozens, enjoying and refining the martial art of rifle shooting.

The weekend had to end.  People walked away with CMP marksmanship forms signed.  Knowing the people of April 19 by name.  Able to share what they learned about shooting with others. 

That is time well and honorably spent.  Thank you all for the privilege. 

MrBill

It always amazes me what a boost I get working an Appleseed.  It comes from helping others learn to improve their marksmanship, hearing the history and the different takes that each instructor has on what it means to them, working with a great group of instructors and learning more myself every time I work an Appleseed.

Thanks everyone for attending this. Congratulations to the new Riflemen.  Thanks to the new crop of orange hats!  You will find teaching Appleseed even more rewarding.

Cheers

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

V

Photos taken by my son, mainly on Saturday, can be seen here.

postal16

Thanks to all of you for a great shooting experiance...my AQT was 186, and I am sure with some dry-fireing and practice the next class will be my turn to get the covented patch.

This had to be the most outstanding training I have taken in my 25 years of shooting (and this includes a clinic I took with the Marine Reserve HP team at a CMP shoot).  Thanks again, and when the dust settles from the birth of baby #3 next month I will be looking into joining your volunteer ranks!
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

Junior Birdman

California just keeps on getting better! I can't wait to get back out there in March.  Congrats on a GREAT shoot and some really impressive numbers! (But I must burst your bubble about a record number of shooters on one line. That one is held by TEXAS!!!!!) (I was there to witness it!, 68 shooters as I recall)

Not that I'd EVER compare California with Texas...... ::)

So what about it America? Are we going to keep up with California???  &)
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

SBUXI

Hello all.

My son Patrick and I loved it!!! We intend to be back for more in April. Many thanks to funfaler and all of the other great instructors. Thanks to all the people who made it possible.

Ed

LayloPro

Yo, FM!!!

Is that a shiny new red hat I see on your head??!!??!! O0 <:)

Looking good, buddy, and very well deserved!!!

Rock on!

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

BaldDragn

I forgot my camera on Saturday so here's a few from Sunday

Note Rock-Chucker approaching this shooter to correct his location on the line, during this preparation period O0  ff

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

funfaler

What a great event, and great people, both on and behind the line!

It is exciting to see the program doing great things in CA and all the good folks coming out.  I was impressed with the quality of marksmanship by many of the shooters and I suspect if we get these folks back out for the April shoot, we will have a flood of new Riflemen in Central/North CA!

It was good to be in CA, working with this fine crew.  Spending time with Riflemen/Appleseeders is what makes an American's soul healthy, being involved in this event is a grand example of a "Rifleman's tune up"   O0

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

BaldDragn

I had a great time even without earning my patch. Not that I expected to patch on my first Appleseed, what with a face full of metal plates and "arch bars" from a facial reconstruction a little more than a month before the shoot, that made it feel like I was shooting with a pinch of thumb tacks between the cheek and gum, causing a good cheek weld to be a miserably painful experience. Even so Savage Shooter graciously offered to look over one of my more successful efforts and reported a 190, much more than I expected.

I fully expected to have a good time but I did not expect to meet such dedicated men and women, who made every effort to help my wife and me who both had special needs not readily apparent while 80 other people also vied for the instructors attentions. When my wife needed to take a break because her Fibro condition was causing her a great deal of pain, it was once again Savage Shooter who recognized a need, and with just a few kind words reassured my wife it was OK to take a needed break, helping Julie to relax and continue to enjoy the event with just a few well timed words of encouragement. It was one of those things that may not have seemed like a big deal at the time, but it made a huge difference for my wife.

You're a real sweetheart Cindy and at the very least it would be our pleasure to take you and your guy out to dinner the next time you find yourselves anywhere in the area.

As for me and Julie now? The direct result what we saw at the first Sacramento Appleseed, the passion and compassion, not to mention the wonderfully humorous group a characters running it, we have at least half a dozen people coming with us for April 18th and 19th and I'll be surprised if that number doesn't double given Julies charming disposition when her passions are ignited, and I'll be buying our third 10/22 to set up as another LTR.

We've picked up the buckets and are gladly joining in the bailing party.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

videobrat

I found the "special" cable for my Sony camera, and now have pictures uploaded (53 images)

Appleseed Sacramento CA, January 2009 <--------- Download HERE!

I counted 58 shooters on the line Sunday, here's a small shot - for full size, follow the link.

V

For the statisticians:

I haven't the data for all three ranges on Saturday yet but here's the Redcoat data for the one line on Sunday
                     Morning                     Evening
400 yards            5                              13
300 yards           10                               4
200 yards             6                              13 
100 yards           16                              14
cooks                14                                8
"Officers"            9                                11
Cleared              1                                  2

One of our shooters, Aleeta, listened to my talk about shooting Redcoats Rifleman style at the morning count when one of our shooters cleared.

For those who maybe don't know.

A "cleared" redcoat is one with 3 shots in each silhouette and one in the head box.

A Rifleman Redcoat is one shot with 100 yards standing, transition to sitting for the 200, transition to prone for the 300 and stay in prone for the 400 and HS - all to be done in less than one minute! You do it this way when clearing them becomes too easy!

So in addition to those two cleared redcoats in the evening there was a Rifleman Redcoat with only one shot dropped on the 200! Aleeta is a very impressive shooter.

One of the evening cleared redcoats was also the morning clearer - nice consistent shooting.

There are clearly men and women in central California "who know very well what they are about". I look forward to meeting many more of them in April.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. That which we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. Heaven knows how to put a price upon its goods and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated."

Thomas Paine - "The Crisis" 1775

Hope is coming to California. Indeed its already here and blossoming. Its called Appleseed.

LayloPro

Uhhhmmmmm, "Officers"? Are these the ones who get shot first? **)

Buttshot Comanche

Congratulations to all who made last weekend in California such a tremendous success.    We have had excellent help from California at our Boulder City, Nevada shoots. We couldn't have done them without the dedicated Aplleseeders who live and breath the Program.      We thank them all sincerely.

When I lived in the high desert of California, I despaired of ever seeing a sane firearms policy come from the Legislature.    With all of the shoots and success you all are having, California may be saved yet.   I hope so!     There are so many good people there, with Appleseeders to provide the leadership, I visualize a turnaround in political activity.      Keep up the good work and accelerate it.     California is an example for us in Utah and we intend to follow it!

Will  (BC)
Firearms in the hands of a free people are a threat only to tyrants.
Freedom is our heritage and our destiny.

mindgear

I just want to say "Thanks" to everyone involved. What a great group! Special thanks to Funfaler who provided us with "shuttle service" to/from our hotel (well out of his way) when my car keys were missing.

As a first time shooter, I certainly know I have my work cut out for me, but I did see significant improvement due to the excellent instruction. Hope to see you all again in April.

DesertRat

Wanted to say thank you to all the instructors.  It was a great weekend and I learned alot.  Especially wanted to thank Wade, Cindy, and Cameron as they spent alot of time trying to help me make rifleman (didn't quite make it, but hopefully in April).

polygunner

Well, it's been a week since the shoot in Sac.
Sorry for the delayed post buy I've been busy recruiting for the April shoot.

The training we all received is well worth the price paid, and the added bonus of some history lessons is just icing on the cake.

The instructors are comitted to making riflemen/riflewoman out of all of us using step by step instruction on position building and making a good shot, every time.

It's easy to see that the instructors truely believe in what their doing and their enthusiasm in contaigous.

The appleseed is all about effort=results. If you show up with a good attitude, zeroed and functional rifle you can spend 2 days improving your skills with no distractions. Practice is the key.

I had a great time, met good people and learned more in 2 days, than in 2 months of research and practice. The 25yd. shooting gives great feedback (the target never lies).
I'll be back for sure in April with my wife and 2 or 3 friends.
When my shooting buddies heard about what I had learned and that my shooting skills had improved I think they felt left out. So they will be there to defend their shooting honor.

I thought long and hard about being a IIT, but I'm a shooter not a teacher, (yet), so I'm going to stick to recruiting for now.
The appleseed concept is a sound and worth while one. If the program grows to the size we'd all like to see it could change the face of the U.S.A. for the better. Much better.

Also When I made rifleman I got a coveted Bob210 signature on my aqt. Maybe I'll put it on Ebay.

Thanks to all the instructors for their time and effort and thanks to Sac. shooting center for having us.

Maybe some of the locals might want to have a mini appleseed in between appleseed dates.
My wife friends and I will be at Sac. a few times before the next shoot for rifle zeroing and position practice.

Hat's off to the organizers keep up the good work!

See you in April
Mike
(polygunner)

SavageShootr

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

As far as Instructing goes, there is time for that. Maybe in the future you will be in a position that you can join us. We'd be lucky to have you. In the meantime, keep doing what you are doing.

See you on the AS Trail.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

V

Take a look at that AQT folks.

First half of the second stage completely missing, five shots down, a lowly 24 score.

Did this Rifleman give up? Did he say, no point shooting the rest then?

No, the only shot that matters to a Rifleman is the one he's about to take.

Shoot every shot rapidfire, with your rifleman's cadence, inside your rifleman's bubble.

Persist.

Great job PG.