News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Bremen (Breman), NY 9/13-14

Started by zercool, September 15, 2008, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zercool

Put in short: most fun I've had at an Appleseed yet. Maybe it's that whole "behind the line" instead of "on the line" thing.  ;)

The Blonde and I headed up Friday evening (departing slightly later than intended) and arrived at the range around 10:00 in a light rain. B964 and Mrs. B964 were already zonked out, and a shooter who was also staying on-site passed the word that tent sites were "wherever you can find a flat spot you like". We set up in the dark and went to bed...

Saturday morning we were woken up by B964 moving his vehicle and the neighbor's rooster doing what roosters do... Mrs. B964 was already making us a breakfast (huge thanks) and the coffee was hot. Nickle and Cheryl, kDan, and NorthBridgeWater (Dave, because that's too much to type repeatedly) and Anders (our youngest IIT?) filtered in as we finished breakfast, and shooters were starting to appear also.

18 shooters on Saturday, including several active duty folks from Ft. Drum (a short drive up the road), some newer shooters, and a few prior Appleseeders. Quite a few ARs, plenty of 10/22s, a Remington 22, at least one M1A, an SKS, an AKlone, and one fellow shooting a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (he swapped to a bolt .22 when the M-N needed a persuader to open the bolt).

kDan was our Shoot Boss, Dave was calling the line Saturday, and Anders and I were RSO'ing - and Nickle was supervising. We may have to remove his stripes and give him gold oak leaves...  ;D

A few extra board were nailed up as target backers, folks were checked in, and off we went... A safety briefing from kDan, rifles came to the line, and we started out with a Redcoat. No cleans, but we had some decent shooters already...

Up went the 1-inch squares, and we started getting sights tweaked and adjusted (and on paper, in one case - boresighted isn't always boresighted...) and watching groups shrink down.

Squares were followed by First Strike, lunch (with many thanks to Cheryl), and some instruction on positions, NPOA, and then we started talking about AQTs. (Nickle or kDan, I think I'm forgetting a step in here... was there another target Saturday?)

By the end of the day Saturday (around 1800hrs), we'd done a few RapidAQTs and already had two riflemen - Lloyd and B964 (finally!).

The weather was threatening us occasionally, but was actually pretty decent all day. After shooting, those of us camping settled in for the evening and dinner, and a campfire. There was some good campfire discussion of history, 2A stuff, various types of firearms, and all the other good campfire stuff one should expect when gunnies get together... some of us retired to our tent, the others decided they would rough it and sleep under the stars, even though it'd been sprinkling on and off for the evening. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of torrential rain on the tent roof...

... and when I got up in the morning, there were several wet sleeping bags in the range house, but no sign of wet shooters. Finally located them, damp in their cars... but I give them big credit for trying!

Sunday started out looking pretty ominous from a weather standpoint - it was dark grey, drizzly, chilly, and looking like a pretty uncomfortable day for shooting. Bad enough that I asked shooters to please take a break and warm up if they needed to - cold and rain and lying in the mud is a recipe for hypothermia. Turns out it was an unnecessary warning... by mid-morning the sun had broken out and the temperature was climbing.

For Sunday, I called the line, kDan and Anders RSO'd, and Dave floated around giving tips and pointers and helping with rifles that needed it. Some of our Ft. Drum folks were unable to return, but we did get a few new shooters for Sunday. Didn't get a count, but 16 sounds about right...

We started Sunday with a RapidAQT, and the Blonde shot her Rifleman score (212, 213, or 215, depending on who scored it...) right off the bat. We did some talking about cadence and a rifleman's cadence, and got into some rapid fire drills. We had some very happy shooters as groups shrunk from 7-8MOA down to 4-5MOA as the clock dropped from 45 down to around 30 seconds.

After rapid fire, Dave did Second Strike (and did a heck of a job), and The Grind began. AQT after AQT began to take its toll on shooters and equipment, and we had several rifles malfunction in various ways (FTEs, double feeds, FTFs, stuck bolts, etc) that needed an occasional "special prep" for maintenance.

Shooters and equipment were getting tired, no question - but a lunch break, a cold glass of water or soda, and things were looking better again. The afternoon continued with AQT after AQT, and instructors were spending more and more time with each shooters, doing everything they could to bump them that last ten or twenty points to a Rifleman's score... (And we succeeded!) After several more RapidAQTs, we took a break for Third Strike via kDan, then hung a pair of stage-by-stage AQTs for each shooter. It was getting late, hot, and ammo boxes were starting to look a little low... We worked through the AQTs and pulled those, then closed with a final Redcoat - which one of our Sunday-only new 'seeders cleared.

Patches were awarded to FIVE new Riflemen for Sunday, and folks packed up and headed on home...

All in all? A great weekend with a great bunch of people. I have to give big kudos to our shooters, who worked very patiently with some somewhat green instructors, to kDan for running a great shoot, and Nickle, because he is a grouchy old curmudgeon that you just can't help but like shooting with. Also, a tremendous thank-you to Cheryl, who washed my breakfast dishes without being asked...

PS - Nickle - better make that two orange hats in the package. I'm working on her.  ;)

boltgun71

Great job guys!  It sounds like it was a great shoot.  Weather sounds like normal everyday Northern NY.  I have already spoken with one of the shooters from FT Drum and I think he might be getting hooked.  He talked about maybe working towards getting a red hat after his return from the sandbox and even mentioned he wanted to shoot AQT's and train his whole platoon on them while he is in the sandbox.  It took the crew running New Bremen to plant that seed in the shooter.  I dont know which one, Nickle or this new shooter who will be the first to have a "mini" Appleseed over across. 

Hope you guys enjoyed shooting at the New Bremen club, and I hope they enjoyed having you as well.  I think it could be the start of a good Appleseed relationship their.  Good job again ya'll, wish I could have been their to help.  Maybe next time.

funfaler

Good to hear! 

Congrats to our own B964!  When does he find time to shoot with all that he does?  :o

NY expansion, good to see it and good to see the ranks of Rifleman grow, leading to the growth in the ranks of Instructors!

QuoteBlonde shot her Rifleman score (212, 213, or 215, depending on who scored it...)
Was it that cold, with all the shivering, that you guys could not hold your fingers still?  :P ;) 

Good work all!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Nickle

Ah, you caught me away from my notes, but I'll have better details when I get home tonight, and I promise to post the pictures.

Of the Riflemen we got this weekend, 3 of them were from Ft Drum (10th Mountain Division). All 3 of them are in the same unit, too.

Lloyd did his Saturday, and was a 1 day only shooter.

Scott and SSG Hess did theirs Sunday.

Who say our troops can't shoot? 10th Mountain sure can, and the ones that didn't make Rifleman shot pretty decent.

We've got at least 4 of our current Instructors/IIT's in uniform, and we had 3 shoot Rifleman this weekend. And, I think if the timing works out, we might see one or two of the 10th Mtn guys at an IBC next spring.

And BG71, I go over just after he gets back, so he'll beat me to a "mini" in the 'Stan.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

zercool

Quote from: funfaler on September 15, 2008, 11:36:55 PM
QuoteBlonde shot her Rifleman score (212, 213, or 215, depending on who scored it...)
Was it that cold, with all the shivering, that you guys could not hold your fingers still?  :P ;) 

I tried real hard to score it a 210, but was overruled. I finally came up with 212... and Nickle or kDan put one of the higher scores on it - they're more generous with the .30 rule than I am! :D

U.S.Cavalryman

Hello Everyone, I am one of the 10th MTN guys, SSG Hess. I just wanted thank everyone who came up here to run this and say what an awesome time it was. Being an NCO, range time is for the Soldiers and not me. It was great having instructors for me, rather than me instructing.
As Boltgun said I am already working on getting prepped to run a mini 'seed in a sandbox. Scott ended up doing a Live fire monday and said that the new skills and confidence from the weekend payed off ten fold. I am thinking that earning the title of "Rifleman" had a little bit to do with that as well. Scott also reports that the techniques work on belt fed machine guns too ;D. So I will be adding what I can to our Platoons training.
Again thanks to all involved in this and a big Thanks to Boltgun and Ed for getting things rolling
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

zercool

Quote from: U.S.Cavalryman on September 16, 2008, 07:21:47 PM
It was great having instructors for me, rather than me instructing.
(...)
Scott also reports that the techniques work on belt fed machine guns too ;D. So I will be adding what I can to our Platoons training.
Again thanks to all involved in this and a big Thanks to Boltgun and Ed for getting things rolling

Playtime for the teachers is very important - one of those things I learned as an officer in my fire department. All of a sudden I was running drill instead of being hands-on ... standing outside a fire with a radio instead of inside with a hose ... and trainings where I was a student meant a whole lot more!

While time is a factor in the RapidAQT, I don't think going belt-fed is going to improve your score - but if you want to try an M2 or M249, find a range and let us come play! :D

As always, kudos to BG and Ed, but the big thank you goes to our shooters - we run these for you guys, not for ourselves. Your patience and persistence and determination in earning your Rifleman is what makes it for us...

boltgun71

Hey, I didn't do much of anything guys.  I provided the club and contact information.  B964 took control from their and did the leg work.

Congrats again to all the instructers and shooters. 

B9

The Saturday line.

He kept at it all day with his Mosin-Nagant. Funny thing, three days later and a few hundered miles east the wife and I ran into him at Fort Ticonderoga, doing a tour with a group of soldiers. He was proudly wearing an Appleseed shirt.

Some of Appleseeds finest.

The NY team.

Five new Riflemen. Two repeat riflemen, Vic and Ron, I did not get their pictures. Three from 10th MTN, The Blonde and myself finally, as Zercool puts it. I shot that Rifleman score right handed. I am a lefty. I had a great time and the range worked out perfect.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Nickle

Fort Ti?

You should've said something at New Bremen. I'm about an hour from Ft Ti (yeah, we reeally do call it Ti).
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Fred

US Cav, if you'd like a set of AQTs to take with you when you deploy, PM your shipping address...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

kDan

Well Howdy!,

B-9!! congrats, and welcome aboard the Rifleman train!  Get you an orange cap with a special NY pin or something.

northbridgwater, what can I say ...outstanding really.  And Zercool - not one to trifle with, my friends.  Thanks for the AAR and good luck with the big step (i almost wrote "sleep" ;D).

Also props to all our other Rifleman and all who came out.  And thanks to Jack, the guy that made it possible.

This was a Great Shoot!  Thank you Nickle for making shoot bossing a less lonely task.

Thanks to all the tenth mountain guys and gal.  Do what it takes over there and then come home.  Glad indeed to hear you got something to take away.  Any advantage, right?  I heard my only first-hand account of Afghanistan combat this week-end, and, as suspected, apparently the Taliban can shoot.

And let's hear it for "The Young Ones".  Who'd a thunk a tattooed Vegan Straight-edge kid?  I shoulda got his pic to help convince more of the black t-shirt crowd it's time to start bailing.  I hope to see you guys again.  I have a feeling I will.  Feel free to pm me.

For the past 100 hours or so, I have been either driving, sleeping, or cutting plywood.  My kids have grown like a foot!  Ten, or maybe it's eleven events this year, I don't know.  I'm pooped.  Canton/Minverva, here I come!

O yeah, one last...  I left a grey "Marmot" brand rain shell on the shelf of one of the shoot houses, the one closest to where we were at.  Anybody find it?  If so, and you don't like it too much, maybe we can work something out.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

zercool

Quote from: kDan on September 18, 2008, 08:49:25 PM

O yeah, one last...  I left a grey "Marmot" brand rain shell on the shelf of one of the shoot houses, the one closest to where we were at.  Anybody find it?  If so, and you don't like it too much, maybe we can work something out.

I believe Mr. and Mrs. B964 took custody.

B9

"O yeah, one last...  I left a grey "Marmot" brand rain shell on the shelf of one of the shoot houses, the one closest to where we were at.  Anybody find it?  If so, and you don't like it too much, maybe we can work something out."

But it fits me so good.  
I can send it to you with the box CTD catalogs you wanted. There were several folding chairs left behind also. I put them in the club house and told Jack if no one claims them to use them at the range untill next the next AS.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

kDan

Quote from: B964 on September 18, 2008, 09:14:32 PM
But it fits me so good.  

Did you already put the patch on it? 

I think I'm all set with the ctd's b-9 thanks.  Just use it to wrap up one of those garands and drop it in the fed ex bin down the block.

pm me for my account number; I'll cover shipping.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Scout

Congratulations K-Dan!!! You continue to impress me. I wish I could have been there. Great job, and keep rolling them out. Only 11? We have to do something about that. Let me look at the schedule and find some I can pencil you in on. ;D

Thanks KD, and everyone else involved. It is never a one man show, the whole organization is always standing with you, always. And we see who is being good, just like Santa ;D ;D ;D

Make sure the young lady gets the instructor pitch, and lets get the 10th guys to promise to put on an APpleseed in country when they get to Iraq and send us pictures. Find out where they are going to be and we can send them an APpleseed shoot kit.

Great job everyone, when I start feeling run down or tired, all I have to do is click on the AAR section and start reading. It always revs me back up. ;) :D ;D ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Nickle

Quote from: Scout on September 18, 2008, 11:40:47 PM

Make sure the young lady gets the instructor pitch, and lets get the 10th guys to promise to put on an APpleseed in the Raq and send us pictures. Find out where they are going to be and we can send them an APpleseed shoot kit.

Well, the young lady (Becky) got and still gets the pitch, and an Orange Hat will be sent, when I send zercool his (yeah, I forgot them at home last weekend).

10th Mountain (whichever Cav Troop that crew belongs to) WILL be doing at least a "Mini" in the 'Stan, which is actually more dangerous than Iraq. Hadji can't shoot for beans, but Afghan's certainly can shoot. Fred's seen to the materials already. On behalf of all troops, thanks Fred. One of the biggest things I like about RWVA is we care about the troops, and not just by words, but by our actions.

Now, U.S.Cavalryman, you've got a year to get it done in, as I'm slated to go there a year after you are, and I WILL be holding an Appleseed (or at least a Mini) while I'm there. When you get back (or sooner), we're expecting you to join the ranks of the Instructors here.

U.S.Cavalryman

We already have the Plan in the works for a Mini seed. Boltgun and I discussed, and will continue to discuss, the finer points, but it will happen. My platoon is better of than most with 2 Rifleman in its ranks. I know this isnt the proper thread, but most of our shots in the 'Stan are in the 400-600 meter range. I would be a fool to NOT use AQT's for keeping the Edge honed and a bigger fool not to teach my young'uns they way I learned, at an AS. Just think what 18 Rifleman with everything from M4's to the Ma Duece could do! ;D

Nickle

Just so you know, we can come back sometime before you deploy.

Just a matter of getting the range booked and making it happen.

Booking Instructors won't be a problem. If it doesn't interfere with my Guard drills, I'll be there myself.

zercool

Quote from: Nickle on September 19, 2008, 05:41:40 PM
Just so you know, we can come back sometime before you deploy.

Just a matter of getting the range booked and making it happen.

Booking Instructors won't be a problem. If it doesn't interfere with my Guard drills, I'll be there myself.

+1 to this. I'd gladly come up any time (after Oct 12, I'll be honeymooning til then) for a day or two; either work at the New Bremen F&G or if you have base ranges available that'd work fine too. My weekends rotate so I could do something on a weekday if that works better.

U.S.Cavalryman

I will start looking at some ranges. The hardest part will be enough rifles. Time and 22LR is the easy part lol.   

B9

I did have a picture of Vic. Somehow I missed it.
Sorry Ron I did not get one of you.

Medea Benjamin

ChrisSOL

I would like to thank all the instructors that helped me through my first Appleseed. I learned alot in just 2 days and had alot of fun. If you were there and would like to put names to faces my name is Chris, i was wearing woodland bdu bottoms,I have black hair, and im 19 years old. I was borrowing one of Nickel's 10/22 because I didnt have enough mags for my Saiga. Although I fell short of rifleman by 10 points that just giving me an incentive to train hard until the next Appleseed is in my area. Thanks again!

B9

Quote from: ChrisSOL on September 24, 2008, 11:03:18 PM
I would like to thank all the instructors that helped me through my first Appleseed. I learned alot in just 2 days and had alot of fun. If you were there and would like to put names to faces my name is Chris, i was wearing woodland bdu bottoms,I have black hair, and im 19 years old. I was borrowing one of Nickel's 10/22 because I didnt have enough mags for my Saiga. Although I fell short of rifleman by 10 points that just giving me an incentive to train hard until the next Appleseed is in my area. Thanks again!

This is you, right?
Don't wait for the next Appleseed in your area, become part of the team to setup the next Appleseed in your area.

Medea Benjamin

ChrisSOL

Quote from: B964 on September 24, 2008, 11:12:10 PM
Quote from: ChrisSOL on September 24, 2008, 11:03:18 PM

This is you, right?
Don't wait for the next Appleseed in your area, become part of the team to setup the next Appleseed in your area.

You got me. Also my friend and I who was also at the shoot are working on something at our local range. We have to get in there and get some of the older members to agree to it. We talked to the NY rep (Mike?) before we left. Hopefully we can get something together before winter.

Nickle

The NY rep is actually B964, and he was there.

He or I can help you get the ball rolling at your local club.

By the way, where is that club? Town/City and state are enough info.

ChrisSOL

Quote from: Nickle on September 25, 2008, 03:37:39 PM

Ya I couldnt remember if that was his name on here or not. Well me and Shane talked to him about getting an Appleseed at Elbridge Rod and Gun Club. Heres the info on it.

Laird Rd, Elbridge, NY

Nickle

That's real close to Throop. We were there in July.

KodyJaret

The idea has already been breached. It may happen, I put in another little plug for it last Saturday.

You should know the club has been having trouble w/ the town board vis'a'vis a pesky neighbor. The story is a bit involved,,, the attack centering on the town wanting the club to sign a special use permit, they want us to quiet down.. We spent some 12K in legal fees quelling the issue last year, alot of new members, and old members don't know that, because they never bother to attend the monthly business meetings. Indeed, I checked this past wk/nd, and did bother to inquire as to the state of the club.

Among other things; the club was unable to quorom at the July and August meetings,,, twenty voting members needed to quorom, and considering I issued card #799 to a young fellow last Saturday evening, that says something. Including, incidental memberships, that puts the roster over 800. Alot of clubs would cut their collective ears off for half that number.
Now regards to  noise, the club must consider where it stands w/ the town AGAIN, as I was further informed, that  after the County Republicans Rally, I think next month, a usual event during an election year, (the club donates the facility for the event every election year)  including serving as training facility for at least three law enforcement agengys' in the area. ( the primary reason for 'increased' noise, the night training is a big part of the argument against us.), the town Supervisor has requested a meeting afterwards to reopen the issue of noise and a 'special use' permit. We are not in favor of restricting our general activites, as one of the best appointed clubs in the area has had to do through the years to playcate it's neighbors. The club, that is to say the few people who actually volunteer their time to maintain the physical aspects and administer it's business  has spent good money to privide a place for people to shoot. My understanding at this point is we can't be compelled to sign anything. But that could change. They could pester us, forcing the club to spend more & more money in legal fees. Fifteen or twenty tears ago, a club not too far from Throop, spent $40K to maintain it's viablity, and as I recall our club donated some money to them , 'for the cause'. Bear in mind as well ,,,THIS STATE HAS A RANGE PROTECTION BILL on the books.

Elbridge has the reputation as the Black Powder club in this area, w/ four scheduled shoots per year. But attendence has been dropping off. If that trend continues, I will incorporate that point, as a new shoot may spark higher attendence. One thing, the new and unacquainted don't realise, is that their is some long standing opposition to 'assault rifles' at the club. I've 'dealt' w/ that many times through the years. With that stated , I walked into the clubhouse one Saturday afternoon early this year. One topic that came up around the card table was 'some new young guys making a racket w/ assault rifles,,,maybe we should prohibit "rapid fire" ?  I told them I would fight that, as I shoot rapid fire, and what those young men we're doing were 'mag dumps' ,,,not the same thing. but I was hopeful of being able to establish communication w/ a couple different groups of young shooters who had appeared in the last year, and perhaps convey the concept of what a 'rifleman' was. We're still shooting rapid fire.

I will be talking to the the president, treasurer and a couple other prime numbers up there this wk/nd, planning strategy regards dealing w/ the town. I will again bring up the subject of a 'new shoot'. I can't make the meetings because of my work hours, though through the years , before being stuck in my current b&^%$#d work hours, I have served in various positions there. In my time , I had pushed many issues and initiatves through to a successful conclusion. I just don't have the schedule to be there during prime time amore. Even so, the town aside for the moment, I'm hopeful Elbridge will host an AppleSeed,,,replete w/ working kitchen.

One parting shot,,,first rule of politics ; first,,, : MAKE FRIENDS. Talk on the firing line is cheap,,,it's the vote that counts.

B9

Quote from: ChrisSOL on September 25, 2008, 09:43:02 PM
Quote from: Nickle on September 25, 2008, 03:37:39 PM

Ya I couldnt remember if that was his name on here or not. Well me and Shane talked to him about getting an Appleseed at Elbridge Rod and Gun Club. Heres the info on it.

Laird Rd, Elbridge, NY

Looks like KodyJaret has the scoop on this range.

I did not spend as much time as I would have liked pressing the flesh at New Bremen as per orders from VAshooter (Dr. Phill), and must have forgot to hand out any the thousands of business cards I have.
Medea Benjamin