News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Piru,Cali.July10/11/2010

Started by Johnnyappleseed, July 11, 2010, 01:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptG

JJ,
I recently got my paws on a Special Grade one of the other guys here in Texas just got. Absolutely Beautiful. My Service grade is a hell of a shooter though. (that's it in the avatar)
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

Johnnyappleseed

Has anyone done a chrono test -- the shorter bbl (tanker model) vs standard MI Garand ?
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

attempting to add pictures
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

JamminJ

Paperwork went off today, within 60 days I should be Garand-ified.   :)

SavageShootr

Quote from: JamminJ on July 20, 2010, 12:33:37 AM
Paperwork went off today, within 60 days I should be Garand-ified.   :)

Awesome!!!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

JamminJ

Got the shipping notification this afternoon!  Should have the rifle in hand by Thursday.  ^:)^

This should be fun!

Deadeye Darlin

That's great! I'm excited for you JamminJ!  ;D
"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

Mr.Fancypants

Quote from: JamminJ on August 18, 2010, 01:49:35 AM
Got the shipping notification this afternoon!  Should have the rifle in hand by Thursday.  ^:)^

This should be fun!

Awesome! Would it be greedy of me to ask that you post pictures when you get it? I would love to get one some time, so for now I will just have to live vicariously through those whom are getting them!

Johnnyappleseed

Jamminj--WOW!!  Getting Your Garand sure was quick  ;D
^5 to CMP
I too would like to see a picture of it . Good idea Mr Fancypants O0
Let us know how few the minutes too   ;)
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Nehemiah

Just checkin' in on how the Piru shoot went. Sounds like another good one! (Having qualified as Rifleman under JohnnyAppleseed, I know it must have been good.)

Hi, Dando! Well done with those photos! Man, being able to look at photos in these AAR's sure makes a difference.

Thanks also to Dano and JohnnyAppleseed for your photos as well.

You made the right choice, JamminJ! Hopefully your piece of history arrives tomorrow. We're looking forward to the pics. Enjoy!
Nehemiah 4:13-18 I stationed the families at our vulnerable spots with their weapons. The men worked in shifts to rebuild our walls; one half worked while the other half guarded. Each of the workers had his weapon either at his side or in his hand while he worked.

SavageShootr

JamminJ....

That is so cool! You will have to bring it out for show and tell!!

Tomorrow can't get here too quickly, eh?  ;)

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

JamminJ

Quote from: Mr.Fancypants on August 18, 2010, 10:10:38 AM
Quote from: JamminJ on August 18, 2010, 01:49:35 AM

This should be fun!

Awesome! Would it be greedy of me to ask that you post pictures when you get it? I would love to get one some time, so for now I will just have to live vicariously through those whom are getting them!

Sure thing!

JamminJ

Quote from: SavageShootr on August 18, 2010, 04:25:33 PM
JamminJ....

That is so cool! You will have to bring it out for show and tell!!

Tomorrow can't get here too quickly, eh?  ;)

SS

CMP really took be by surprise with how quickly they turned it around.  I don't have a single round of ammunition for it, the Greek surplus stuff comes by ground delivery.  Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to get the cosmoline out of it while I wait.  The rifle is 60 years old, another couple of weeks won't make much difference.

Johnnyappleseed

JamminJ
Maybe you could find  a Rifleman in WW2 or Korea who put the Garand to good use during one of America's wars for freedom.
I think Sgt York was WW1 and  Sgt  John Basilone was a machine gunner ,killed at Guadacanal .
Im drawing a blank on the garand hero's right now .
JA
Calvin Coolidge

JamminJ

The only other MoH winner that comes immediately to mind is Audie Murphy. I think he usually carried a garand but won the medal with a machine gun. There's a long list of heroic WW2 and Korean War MoH guys, it will probably be harder to narrow it down to just one!  I'll do some surfing and check.

The Garand arrived yesterday, I'll have some pics up soon!

Rocket Man

Audie Murphy favored the M1 Carbine.

The Garand had no shortage of fans, of course, most notably Patton.  "The greatest implement of battle ever devised..."

Standing by for pictures! 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

JamminJ

Here we go!

First is the box as it arrived.  In Alabama yesterday with overnight delivery right to my door.  It's almost like living in a gun friendly state like Arizona!

Well packed in foamy liners.  Looks like we have a fine American steel butt plate peeking though!

Here we have it.  One lovely CMP Garand, Sweet!

Another view.  The wood has a couple of localized dings here and there but is otherwise quite nice with a  rich auburn color.  The receiver looks brand new, it had to have been remanufactured recently.  Some light rubbing on the end of the gas tube near the front sights.  I wonder what the little tag says...

Why it claims this rifle is an M1, correct grade from Springield Armory.  Sure, the tag says that, but how, oh how do I know it really is?

Because it comes with a Certificate of Authenticity!  OK, I'm convinced.  I can rest easy now knowing my rifle isn't some Chinese commie knock off.

What's next, shooting?  Woah, not so fast brother.  Check out all the cosmoline this thing is caked in. I'm going to have to read a few threads over at the CMP forums and figure out the best way to get it cleaned to shooting standards without poisoning myself.

And here we have the happy owner posing with his fine weapon.  I must say it has a lot of character just to hold, it feels far more substantial in my hands than an AR.

And look who else can appreciate a fine rifle, the Mrs.!  Fortunately she did not seize the opportunity to ask me about the Honey-do list while posing for this picture.

That's it for now!  There may be a little more later as this wasn't the only thing I ordered from CMP this time around...

Rocket Man

Very, very nice. 

Cleaning the cosmoline isn't that big of a deal -- mineral spirits will cut through it with ease.  Or do it on the back porch where it's warm, and flows more easily.  The good side about cosmoline is that it protects the metal, so lots of it == great rifle underneath.

I'm guessing you also got a bayonet?   ;)

In a few days we'll ask you the next question:  How's it shoot?   :---
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

JamminJ

Bayonet?  That's a pretty good guess, let's see...

Here's another box from CMP that arrived together with the Garand.

Looks a little big for a bayonet but lets open her up and see.  What do we have?  Why, its another box!

No one orders cardboard from CMP, lets open the inner box and see if things get more interesting.  This is way better than a box, its a semi transparent plastic bag!  Score!

What?  You think I should keep unpacking?  Well, OK, but I just don't see how it can get any better than a semi transparent plastic bag.  It's yellow for goodness sake!  Holy smokes!  There's another rifle in the bag!

What kind could it be?  Looks like a Kimber model 82.  Why?  Because everyone needs an eleven pound, single shot .22 rifle!

I bought the "non rusty" version.  Looks like the action is nice and clean.  There's some crusty preservant all over the metal pieces that looks a bit like rust, but it wipes right off.

Comes with a set of super fancy tech sights. This guy adjusts in 1/5 MOA clicks!  Tell me you wont be able to make the Morgan head shot with that!

Here's the bolt, on the "rusty" ones this is the part that needs a little TLC to get into shape.  For the extra $200 mine came nice and clean, just a little packing grease to remove.

Kinda neat, the butt stock is adjustable.  The three spaces are removable so everyone can get a perfect fit.

CMP says these come with razor scratches from when the bags were opened for inventory.  If you look closely on the right hand manual you can see a vertical line.  That's where my razor scratch went!  The stock is absolutely perfect thanks to the manual taking the cut.  I understand the "rusty" ones often have more severe cuts.

I wanted a really nice bolt action 22 rifle since these can be shot at the local indoor ranges.  I was thinking about a Ruger 77/22 or maybe even an Anschultz but since I was ordering CMP anyway why not give one of these a try. ..:..

Johnnyappleseed

Wow JJ -- an 11lb 22 from CMP -- besides a beautiful Garand . Next event we want to hear all about it   O0

I really enjoyed the drama of your unpacking the boxes too ;D The suspence kept me at the edge of my chair  :)

The only question still remaining is --- Will Mrs JJ use the new Garand for her RM patch or is there something else in the works? ;)
JA
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

QuoteAnd here we have the happy owner posing with his fine weapon rifle. I must say it has a lot of character just to hold, it feels far more substantial in my hands than an AR.

Hey JamminJ that is a beautiful RIFLE!

MrsJamminJ looks real good with it. I think it has her name on it.

SS