News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Piru,Cali.July10/11/2010

Started by Johnnyappleseed, July 11, 2010, 01:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Another very good AS day ;D
This was a small shoot regarding attendence -- but the attendees,interest persistence+ hard work made us all very proud of their fine efforts O0
Special thanx to the staff, Dano V, Savageshootr and Dando --all did an excelent job ,it was a pleasure to work with them ;D
Well as said last AAR -Im tired , sunburned and exhausted  :o In other words I feel great .
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

What a fabulous group of individuals out at the Piru, CA DAR today!

Thanks to all the attendees who made this a great day! The improvement of the redcoat tells the story. I'll post those numbers tomorrow.

Thanks Johnnyappleseed, Dano, V, and dando for coming out.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Johnnyappleseed

SS said it well , thanx to the excellent instructors ,and some of the most attentive attendees this shoot was a real pleasure.

Special TY to Dano + V for setting up the beautiful flag displays and fantastic stories ,strikes + DOM. Dano did a creative competion,
while V diligently ran the line --more on this later  ;D

SS did the wedding that never was and it was powerful beyond words. ;)

New IIT Dando is a natural with line calling and keeping the line safe . TY Sir it was a pleasure to have you onboard.
We have a new Rifleman in Cali. with the addition jamminj ^5 sir. CONGRATULATIONS again, James
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dando

I just got back and I am a bit tired out so I will keep this short.  We had a great shoot in Piru.  The weather was nice and the wind was minimal...nice shooting conditions.  The attendees enjoyed the shoot, learned a lot and were a pleasure to spend time with.  Thanks to everyone who came out and made this shoot a success.  I took a lot of pictures and some are actually pretty good.

jimbosway

JonnyAppleseed, SavageShooter, Dano, Dando and V.  Thank you so much for your instruction and company this weekend.  It was a great experience.  We learned and improved a great deal over the two days of instruction. 

I read this article this morning and thought I would share:  http://bit.ly/cUN6pH

Roark and I are both looking forward to our next shoot.

Best,

-jimbo

Johnnyappleseed

TY Dando for posting the proffesional quality pictures  O0
Hopefully we have a few of you working  ;D
JA
Calvin Coolidge

oldfudd

Richard -- aka JohnnyAppleseed.

Boy, from the pictures, it looks like you guys have it easy.  Even get to wear sweatshirts.  Sighhhhhhh . . . .  In Mississippi last weekend we didn't exactly have that luxury.  Oh well, when you live near Hollywood . . . .  ^:)^

As usual, your shoot looks calm, cool and collected with everybody happy.  I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from an old USMC Non-Com.  Congrats again.

See ya.

Dick

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

Rough Rider

This Appleseed was the first for myself, and my wife. I learned so much that I see the value, and indeed the importance of the project. I have called already phoned a few of my friends, and will make the effort to bring people to the next meet at Burro Canyon. To my fellow Appleseeder's that attended it was a pleasure to meet such fine people, and to see JamminJ receive his Rifleman badge. To the instructors thank you for the honor of being a student, and teaching both myself and wife not only marksmanship, but the significance of having a sincere love of our nation. Thank you.

-Nathan
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

dragonfly

Looks like a great shoot JA. Nice to see you and SS at a shoot together  :)  O0 .

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Dano

It was a grand day, weather was nice, only about 90°, and very little wind by Piru Standards. I have posted more pictures of shooting and the Instrucotrs working for a living. Thanks to all the participants, as always I come away from these weekends renewed in the faith that America still has a heart beat!!

Dano
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Dano

More pics
Dano
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

JamminJ

Making steady progress throughout the weekend, a few points at a time, I snuck past 210 on the second to last AQT of the weekend.   O0

It was nice to meet the new folks as well as seeing some familiar faces.  It would have been a fine day in any event but shooting rifleman certainly made it way better, I'm really quite proud.  All in all, Piru was a more enjoyable shoot than Corona.  Starting out more proficient with the rifle helped, as did the firing line sun shades, but the more even instructor to student ratio really made the difference.  Without the one on one attention it probably would have taken another weekend to get there.

After consideration I did decide to give the IIT a shot, I'll be looking to get out at one of the August Appleseeds, either in Corona, Piru or Burro Canyon. 

Just curious as to the opinions of the other attendees, were you to celebrate with a little something do you think a nice CMP Special/Correct grade Garand or an old school looking AR like Stag Arms model 4.   Decisions, decisions...  ::)

JamminJ

Quote from: jimbosway on July 12, 2010, 08:26:30 AM
I read this article this morning and thought I would share:  http://bit.ly/cUN6pH

Nice to meat you Jimbo, Williams is always a good real.

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome aboard James  O0
+ once again CONGRATULATIONS !
Looking forward to working with you again.
JA
Calvin Coolidge

JamminJ

Quote from: Rough Rider on July 12, 2010, 06:31:56 PM
     This Appleseed was the first for myself, and my wife. I learned so much that I see the value, and indeed the importance of the project. I have called already phoned a few of my friends, and will make the effort to bring people to the next meet at Burro Canyon. To my fellow Appleseeder's that attended it was a pleasure to meet such fine people, and to see JamminJ receive his Rifleman badge. To the instructors thank you for the honor of being a student, and teaching both myself and wife not only marksmanship, but the significance of having a sincere love of our nation. Thank you.

-Nathan

Nice to meet you too, Nate.  I hope we'll meet up a Burro Canyon.  :)

Johnnyappleseed

Great link Jimbosway O0
Walter Williams views sure do the founders proud.
I am putting the website you posted on My favorites TY . I did not know of it before .
Looking forward to seeing You and Roark again -- You will make Rifleman next time out . However dry fire before the next shoot will get you their faster.
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Rough Rider

JamminJ, I would choose the M
Quote from: JamminJ on July 13, 2010, 02:48:02 AM
Making steady progress throughout the weekend, a few points at a time, I snuck past 210 on the second to last AQT of the weekend.   O0

It was nice to meet the new folks as well as seeing some familiar faces.  It would have been a fine day in any event but shooting rifleman certainly made it way better, I'm really quite proud.  All in all, Piru was a more enjoyable shoot than Corona.  Starting out more proficient with the rifle helped, as did the firing line sun shades, but the more even instructor to student ratio really made the difference.  Without the one on one attention it probably would have taken another weekend to get there.

After consideration I did decide to give the IIT a shot, I'll be looking to get out at one of the August Appleseeds, either in Corona, Piru or Burro Canyon. 

Just curious as to the opinions of the other attendees, were you to celebrate with a little something do you think a nice CMP Special/Correct grade Garand or an old school looking AR like Stag Arms model 4.   Decisions, decisions...  ::)

I would choose the M1 garand as the celebration of receiving the rifleman. One day, you will never be able to have such a fine tool. You can always get a stag, but the M1 garand is a piece of history that is a prize worthy of a rifleman.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

dando

Johnnyappleseed

Rough Rider we have Rifleman patchs for you and the Mrs .
Not sure what a stag arms is --but I favor .30
If Im not mistaken TR liked a 405 flat point  :) His quote was something like "that 405 is bad medicine on lions " **) **) **)
Ah the good old days .To have one of us in the WH  8)
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Deadeye Darlin

Hi folks!  :)

Wanted to say a couple of things... I have a lot to say, and it is a little long, so please bear with me!  O0

Being at my first rifle training (or ANY training related to guns) was slightly overwhelming at first since I certainly did not know what to expect. But from the start when Nate and I first met JamminJ and Dano, then SavageShootr and Johnnyappleseed, I could easily tell that it was going to be a fun and friendly environment. It was a great first impression.  :)  Throughout the entire event, each instructor as well as every shooter there were kind, friendly, and respectful. That was a big deal to me. Upon that, I also wanted to give a BIG thank you to the instructors for treating me the way each of you did.  That nasty car accident that I had nearly 2 years ago really messed up my body and it has been difficult for me to move around since. The fact that everyone was so understanding of my situation and very accommodating to me really made me feel comfortable and welcomed instead of shunned or looked down upon. It is a very difficult thing (and certainly a blow to my confidence) to have my mobility taken away from me in the blink of an eye and then to try to piece things back together again months and even years later just to get on with life. I was actually quite concerned about attending this event because I didn't think I would be able to accomplish the things necessary for the training (such as the transitions from standing to sitting or prone). But your helpful and understanding attitudes made it so much easier for me and actually encouraged me a lot. So with all sincerity, thank you!

So, all that said, I had a fantastic time! I learned SO much about shooting and was completely blown away by the immense knowledge that each of the instructors possessed about rifles and our country. Makes me ashamed that I do not know more about our history! Nate and I will definitely be attending the Burro Canyon event on Aug. 7th-8th and will be bringing a few friends. Not only is the training worthwhile, but the distinct focus on our American heritage moved our hearts and souls and definitely should not be kept to ourselves. It is obvious and truly wonderful to see that there are those around who love our country as much as we do. We clearly see the value of the Appleseed Project and will do all we can to make sure all of those around us know about it.

Thank you again to everyone for everything!  :)  What a blast! I'm definitely looking forward to August.

Now it's time to get to work by applying the training, reading up on our heritage, and to get the word out to others...
"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

Deadeye Darlin

JamminJ,

I would definitely go with the Garand! The AR is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I'm actually in the process of building one from the ground up right now. But to me, the Garand is a special part of our American history. Rough Rider wants one, but we will hold out until he gets his Rifleman patch. Gives him something to shoot for, no pun intended.  ;D  I can't agree more with Rough Rider... it's definitely a prize worthy of a rifleman.  :)

Be sure to update us with your decision!

"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

Dano

JamminJ,

Go for the M-1, I own both the AR and the M-1, if I am shooting for maximun fun I will choose the M-1 everytime. Others have said it already but the M-1 will not always be available, only so many were made and too many where destroyed! By getting the M-1 you will be honoring the generation that saved this country.

The link below is for training videos on the the M-1 and covers most of what everyone was taught on the weekend. I would download the videos and pass the link on to others.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1.

Dano

SavageShootr

Looks like it is unaminous JamminJ. Go for the Garand! You have earned it!

Welcome Deadeye Darlin! Glad you got on here and thank you for the report. You are too kind.

Welcome Rough Rider! Glad to have you onboard. It was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely bride. Thank You for your contributions to the event.

Welcome jimbosway! Glad to have you onboard. It was a pleasure to have you and your son at the Appleseed.

Chris, Glad you came out to improve.

Dale and Fred were another father and son pair. It was a pleasure meeting you both. Fred said that his son dragged him.  **)

Eric, Hope you can make it for a two day event next time.

Thanks again to all of you for coming out.

SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

JamminJ

OK then, Garand it is!  The AR can wait for another day. 

It looks like a Springfield Armory in "Correct Grade" will be making the trip to California.  Just have to wait for the RWVA member card to get here and off the order form goes!

Some eye candy borrowed directly from CMP:

Rocket Man

Quote from: JamminJ on July 14, 2010, 02:03:51 AM
OK then, Garand it is!  The AR can wait for another day. 

It looks like a Springfield Armory in "Correct Grade" will be making the trip to California.  Just have to wait for the RWVA member card to get here and off the order form goes!

The Garand is a Rifleman's rifle, no doubt.  Eventually you may want an AR as well, but Garand first, I'd agree.

If you want to save a few bucks, the Service Grades are looking quite good as well -- and no hard feelings when you accidentally scratch it.  But it's your call.

Welcome to the team!  Wish I could have been there.  I'll see you on the Trail.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

SavageShootr

RocketMan

Nice find.

We would have liked to see you out there too. It was a fun weekend. No one brought donuts. V did, however, bring watermelon and subway sandwiches.

See you on the trail.

SS

Johnnyappleseed

Looks like a shooter ---- Rocket man .
Wait until you see what dano has cooked up for 30 cal fun  **) Oh its fun with RF too -- but the 30 kinda sets the pace .
O By the way the left won again :(
JA
Calvin Coolidge

JamminJ

Quote from: Dano on July 13, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
The link below is for training videos on the the M-1 and covers most of what everyone was taught on the weekend. I would download the videos and pass the link on to others.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1.

That's a really cool video.  The instructors straightforwardness is refreshingly candid "we are teaching you to shoot so you can kill your enemies..."  No winning hearts and minds there!  I half expected him to light up a smoke.  O0

JamminJ

Quote from: Rocket Man on July 14, 2010, 02:19:22 AM
If you want to save a few bucks, the Service Grades are looking quite good as well -- and no hard feelings when you accidentally scratch it.  But it's your call.

That rifle has a lot of character! 

Johnnyappleseed

jamminj  ^5  you're right " that is a really cool movie"

Dano Thanx for posting it  8)
JA
Calvin Coolidge