News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa Oct. 24-25

Started by dragonfly, October 23, 2009, 02:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainman

Thanks Garand69 for your reply concerning my questions about the ban on photos. Thanks for your efforts to have the ban lifted,I'm sure you did what you could. I will keep an eye out for events in my area at other locations.

Rainman

I was just looking at the 2010 schedule, it does not look like there are many events scheduled in my area (Illinois) , I would be willing to travel but it does not look like many are sheduled nearby, I:E WI or IN. How likley is it that more will be added?

EEL

Rainman,
Don't know your approx location but, We do shoots in Bristol, Racine, Waterman (west near Dekalb) Duran, (west near Rockford), and Ottawa.  IN. has shoots in Riley, Wabash, Evansville, Cloverdale, and Lafeyette.

If you need more info, PM me.

Glad you had a good shoot at Ottawa.  I'll be there next wkend, Nov 7-8

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Shooterer

Does anyone know if this thread is the longest AAR to date? :)
Stand up for what's right.... Even if you stand alone.

Rainman

Quote from: EEL on October 29, 2009, 11:25:25 AM
Rainman,
Don't know your approx location but, We do shoots in Bristol, Racine, Waterman (west near Dekalb) Duran, (west near Rockford), and Ottawa.  IN. has shoots in Riley, Wabash, Evansville, Cloverdale, and Lafeyette.

If you need more info, PM me.

Glad you had a good shoot at Ottawa.  I'll be there next wkend, Nov 7-8

EEL

EEL:

Thanks, I did not see some of these locations on the 2010 schedule, I will take a closer look. We are located near Joliet Il. I don't mind driving, my son had such a great time and was so excited it would be well worth the trip. I'm not sure what PM means, could you explain?
Thanks again.
Rainman

Trisha

Rainman, you may not see those events on the list yet for 2010 because they are still getting worked out, but they will be up soon.

Also a PM is a Personal Message. If you look under your picture you will see a tab bar, and one of those says MY Messages, click on that and then on New Message and write to who you want to write to and then send them a message, just like you would with an email. I hope that helps!

Trisha

Trisha

Quote from: Shooterer on October 29, 2009, 11:36:00 AM
Does anyone know if this thread is the longest AAR to date? :)

Maybe the longest AAR without any pictures of the event... :D

Garand69

Quote from: Rainman on October 29, 2009, 11:00:58 AM
I was just looking at the 2010 schedule, it does not look like there are many events scheduled in my area (Illinois) , I would be willing to travel but it does not look like many are sheduled nearby, I:E WI or IN. How likley is it that more will be added?

Actually we have plenty of shoots in IL for 2010, they are not on the National schedule for a reason but you can find them here... http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7534.0

And of course you can check out the Illinois Appleseed Trail map on Google here...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100033431375128470709.00045e65dffbbc3e71f90&ll=42.342305,-88.615723&spn=6.658061,14.0625&z=6

Shooterer said;
QuoteDoes anyone know if this thread is the longest AAR to date?

While I doubt this is a record AAR, I would not doubt an IL/WI AAR has the record :) For some reason, our shoots have a tendancy to get folks excited about talking the shoot up. Whether it is Instructor to Instructor or Attendee to Attendee. Just going down the long list of AAR's you can see the qty of replies and views are always high compared to other shoots. I certainly hope we can maintain that level of excitement for years and years to come O0

Edited to add; Trisha may be right about the no pic record O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Gopher Boy

I'm on to the Wisconsin tricks.  It's all about distraction...

They know that people from Illinois(ucks) are attracted to shiny things.  So they just keep on pointing them out.  "See look over there...  RBC.  You should go."  "Wow, you have the longest AAR post ever...  Set the record."  Then  WHHHAAAMMMM, Border Raid.  It's all part of the plan to convert our Red Hats to Cheese Heads.    We're on to you.
Oh, look something Shiny...  Oh, what was I saying, darn I think they did it again.  **)

Rainman

Thanks Trsih and Garand69 for your help finding events.

colycat

The reason for this extended AAR is all about the weekend.  When all the instructors really gel, the shooters get it.  We had time to do some really good things at this shoot.  Only 15 people and almost as many instructors.  Not saying this should continue, as it should not.  Full lines are what I am after.  Could have done this shoot with 3, maybe two instructors.  What the shooters did witness however was camaraderie of the first order.  A really good thing. Who would not want to be part of this?

Coly

As a PS, Someone from AS once wrote, and I won't quote it because I will butcher it. 

I spent my whole life developing friends, and after one Appleseed, I see what they are really worth.  Not much.  Sunshine friends, summer neighbors.  The people I meet a Appleseed, are true friends, ones who will be there when the chips are down.  Thank your Appleseed!!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Gopher Boy

Trisha

dragonfly

colycat; copycat
Trisha; Tricia
dragonfly; D-fly
ahhshoot; aaaashoot
Deacon; Decon
Gumballhead; Gumby; Gumbullhead
Gopher Boy; Gopher Guts
Garand69; Durand69
Karl; Carl
Patriot gal; Patriot girl
Castle mountain; Patriot guy
JoeZ; UN

It's all good **) **) **)
get back to work &) &) &) &)

D-fly @)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Gopher Boy

Oops.  See what happens when you try to post from a PDA.

My apologize Colycat.

LayloPro

**) **) **) >:D :))

Sometimes even spell check isn't much of a crutch........

But it is pretty funny, right there...... O0 <:) O0

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Gumballhead

Quote from: dragonfly on October 30, 2009, 02:23:34 AM
colycat; copycat
Trisha; Tricia
dragonfly; D-fly
ahhshoot; aaaashoot
Deacon; Decon
Gumballhead; Gumby; Gumbullhead
Gopher Boy; Gopher Guts
Garand69; Durand69
Karl; Carl
Patriot gal; Patriot girl
Castle mountain; Patriot guy
JoeZ; UN

It's all good **) **) **)
get back to work &) &) &) &)

D-fly @)

The names were changed to protect the innocent!  **) **) **)

Patriot Gal

lol  Boy! One thing I've noticed about this group is that, based on the posting times which I think are in eastern time, many of us don't work regular hours or SLEEP regular hours!!! :D

Patriot Gal
Keeper of Patriot Cats
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Karl

Being that my brain is the size of a pea; I would butcher everyones names into two syllables.

Examples:

Colycat = C-cat
Trisha = (Would stay the same..Lucky)
Dragonfly = D-fly (That's just cool)
Deacon = D-Con (Another cool one)
Gumballhead = G-Head
Gopher Boy = G- Boy
Garand69 = G69 (Already used quite often... I got nothin)
Karl = (Nuff said)
Patriot Gal = THE Gal (I bet you thought I ws going in a different direction)
Castle Mountain = (I got nothing for this one)
JoeZ = JZ

Ok I'm going back to work.

Karl
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

Viper

Hi everyone,
I finally got set up with a name, Viper. Informally, you know me as Karl's wife, Cherie, so now you can send me messages, too.

I had an awesome time at the Ottawa AS, obviously because I made Rifleman status! (I don't use the whole gender specific in the name thing; rifleman/riflewoman doesn't change the way I shoot, so's it just Rifleman.) My first qualifing AQT was 210, and YES, water was dumped on me. For some reason, no one would accept that the rain got me wet! What a tough crowd! My best AQT was the last of the day, 223, just 1 point shy of matching Karl's top score!
EEL & Robvious, sorry you weren't there to see it, but I'll see you at the Nov 7-8 AS. I plan to shoot (I still want to beat Karl's score, ya know).

I had a blast & plan to spread the word!

Garand: You're right. You cannot aquire NPOA when you are laughing!!!!!    Did you find the Hostess Zinger snack cake I tossed into your truck??  If not, you may want to look for it, although those Twinkie-like products can last for a long time.

See you all at the next Ottawa AS!

Garand69

Quote from: Viper on October 30, 2009, 02:31:51 PM

Garand: You're right. You cannot aquire NPOA when you are laughing!!!!!    Did you find the Hostess Zinger snack cake I tossed into your truck??  If not, you may want to look for it, although those Twinkie-like products can last for a long time.

See you all at the next Ottawa AS!

**) **) **) **)
As I was eating said Zinger (strawberry for those wondering), several things were going through my head.... How long has this been floating around the cab? What if those cheeseheads slipped some sort of tracking device in it and then tossed it in my truck??? What if that troublemaker from Cali stashed it in my truck, and are strawberry Zingers the secret to happy cows in Cali?

Thanks for clearing that up **) **)! and welcome aboard Viper, see you in Nov !!

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Gumballhead

Quote from: Viper on October 30, 2009, 02:31:51 PM
...My first qualifing AQT was 210, and YES, water was dumped on me. For some reason, no one would accept that the rain got me wet! What a tough crowd!...

I tired to keep you dry... :-X

dragonfly

Dry at Ottawa.

210 gets a dunking in the nearest pond or stream ;), But..........it's all good.

Welcome to the forum Viper. 8)

See you on the trail, :~ :~

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Old Glory!

Viper!  Welcome to Appleseed and the forum.  What a GREAT forum name!  

I think you are going to fit right in with the rest of the IL Zingersinstructors.   Next thing you know, you'll be harangued into a border raid. ::)  

I appreciate your use of the term Rifleman.  It already IS gender neutral......RifleMAN....as in MANkind or the HuMAN race.  

Hope to see you on the trail, or sooner.  BTW, IBC Pappy's place in December January - be there!

Your neighbor to the nort,
OG

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Pappy

Hope to see you on the trail, or sooner.  BTW, IBC Pappy's place in January - be there!

Your neighbor to the nort,
OG

[/quote]

The Instructors Boot Camp weekend has been moved to 16-17-18 January!!!!  Please adjust your boarder raiding efforts to show all changes.
This will be a long weekend for many of us so PLEASE, send a PM if you plan on attending, Also this is a POT LUCK sort of arrangement. SO think about what you like to eat and let us know so you and yours will be added to the growing list. I hope that we have as many as last year. Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Castle Mountain

Concerning the historical presentation made during this past shoot in Ottawa,  a concern rested in my mind regarding some out of state negative
comments concerning the men who were killed at Watson's corner, namely Jabez Wyman and Jason Winship.  Having looked into the matter myself
I discover further negative comments that are to be found here:  http://vastpublicindifference.blogspot.com/2009/09/watsons-corner-casualties.html[/b]]http://vastpublicindifference.blogspot.com/2009/09/watsons-corner-casualties.html

"Yes, that's the one I remember. Jabez Wyman and Jason Winship appear several times in Fischer's "Paul Revere's Ride." It seems they fell in defence of their mugs of beer in the Menotomy tavern, rather than the liberty of the people (but perhaps that was simply their conception of liberty)."

I take exception to such remarks and accordingly this is what I have to say about that:

No one ahead of the regular's retreat suspected that the British would first shoot over 100 rounds into the tavern building
before entering and slaying whomever they found. Certainly those in the tavern did not. Menotomy became a shooting gallery soon afterward.
Following their search ,having killed the two men,  they found others hiding in the cellar below and spared them.
Homes all along the British retreat road were consistently occupied by Militia men snipers who wrecked havoc upon the British regulars,
so much so that their hatred of the people became so great  that the regulars stormed each house regardless, burning them to the ground
and killing whomever was present. Bloody house to house combat ensued along the way.

The two tavern occupants were but victims, shot up and found bayoneted ,  killed for
not having expected the regulars so soon.

Tis but a cynical comment that exists in the small prejudicial minds of those who unfairly excoriate these two innocent men
with such a charge as having a false sense of liberty but to  a mug of flip.
The people who erected the monument have a better idea of who these men were.
They of all were not ashamed to count Jabez Wyman and Jason Winship as their country men.
Shame on anyone for thinking and saying otherwise.
[/color]

Fer those that remain of the same negative opinion there is an old Scottish saying that has been passed down in my family......." Up their kilt with a wire brush!" <:)

Thanks for a great historical presentation Colycat and for your effort to redress a wrong. Yer a great lad  O0

IMHO anyway!   &)

Castle Mountian

Quote from: colycat on October 29, 2009, 09:20:29 PM
The reason for this extended AAR is all about the weekend.  When all the instructors really gel, the shooters get it.  We had time to do some really good things at this shoot.  Only 15 people and almost as many instructors.  Not saying this should continue, as it should not.  Full lines are what I am after.  Could have done this shoot with 3, maybe two instructors.  What the shooters did witness however was camaraderie of the first order.  A really good thing. Who would not want to be part of this?

Coly

As a PS, Someone from AS once wrote, and I won't quote it because I will butcher it. 

I spent my whole life developing friends, and after one Appleseed, I see what they are really worth.  Not much.  Sunshine friends, summer neighbors.  The people I meet a Appleseed, are true friends, ones who will be there when the chips are down.  Thank your Appleseed!!!!!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

colycat

Thanks for the post on Winship, CM.  It was actually a former Brit, Shoot Boss V, who found out that Winship was actually one of the dangerous old men of the morning, who captured the supply wagon filled with powder and cannon ball.  Aparently some of the SB's did not see his post and would not honor him on April 19, 2009.  Too bad for them :(
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

EEL

Sheesh!!!  I thought the debate on the actions of these 2 men was settled waaay back on 4/19/09.  Seems there was a misconception that we were about to honor 2 drunks along with the men that died on the Green and elsewhere that day during our Nationwide Shoot at 1500 central time. 

Coly is correct, V did more research on these 2 and it seems they did their part earlier in the day, then retired to the pub to knock back a few.  It was then that they were caught in the mayhem of the Regulars retreat.  Gee, Dawes did his part, a very important part, then disappeared for the rest of the day, yet he is recognized. 

People, remember, thousands did their part that day. Someone told Dr. Warren of the plan.  Someone gave Revere her bloomers so the oars would be silent.  Someone gave Revere a fine horse.  Someone unlocked the North Church and posted the lanterns.  Someone rode out as scouts from Lexington.  77 someones took the Green at o-dark thirty.  Many "Someones" did their part that was not recorded in history books as being significant.

However, as Sir Edmund Burke puts it, "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

Sometimes, the "small parts" end up being pivital and are thus recorded as noteworthy.  Other times the "whole" is the some of many "small parts".  Each bucket we throw over the side is that much less a burden to our sinking ship.  These 2 men carried their buckets that day.  How about grabbing yours ?  ?

EEL