News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leyden MA 9/24-25

Started by goodpiper, September 26, 2011, 03:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodpiper

Another great week-end at the Leyden Rifle Club!

Saturday started damp, with a couple of fine light showers, but by the afternoon the sun was peaking through to make it kind of muggy. Fortunately we had a tent to put up for shelter and shade.

Above was our Sat. firing line.

We had a great bunch of shooters both days. Shepherded by an outstanding Instructor staff (They are fantastic to work with!).

Our top scorer was Josh, with a 216 then a 219.

Dan came very close with a score of 209. He should make it the next time out.
Brothers Fred, and Brian (my nephews ;)) did well, inspite of some mechanical issues with scores of 203 and 192 respectively.
They're seen on the end of the top pic.

Tilyr, You keep at it and you are going to make it!
This is a determined young man.

Sunday came on mostly cloudy (very pleasant), with the sun coming out periodically, to make it down right warm!

My wife, who came for part of the day on Sunday, She of the Blonde Brownies, The Hat. She posted scores in the 190's.

The above picture shows up the Sunday firing line well, also.

I hope to see everyone back again in November (Not the Mosquitoes!!! !@#)

dwarven1

Uh-huh. Blackflies in May, mosquitoes in September. You're just determined to keep the State Coordinator far, far away, aren't you?  :shootself:

The flying things should all be dead by November, right? Otherwise I ain't showing up until you do a Winterseed!!
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

aim

Attentive and determined shooters, great instructors, a SB beyond reproach, good organization and a fantastic delivery on the three strikes. This was the first AS I went to as an IIT where I had absolutely no regrets about NOT shooting. The bugs were there, though, so maybe I just have a soft spot for Leyden?
Shiny!

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: aim on September 27, 2011, 01:33:24 PM
Attentive and determined shooters, great instructors, a SB beyond reproach, good organization and a fantastic delivery on the three strikes. This was the first AS I went to as an IIT where I had absolutely no regrets about NOT shooting. The bugs were there, though, so maybe I just have a soft spot for Leyden?

Aim, we totally missed you on Sunday. We had a great time at the KD range. Nightjade, Metalgodz and Naya all made the trip. On the line we had Mosin Nagants, a FN-FAL, a Springfield, a CZ among others. The instructors started the Dan Morgan challenge. One balloon, one shot at 250 yards. Voidoid was first with a Mosin, bullseye! AmericaStandsStrong was next with his Mosin, same exact result!! Expert shooting turned in by all involved. Tilyr finished the last balloon with everyone watching with Nightjades scoped CZ. The balloon stood not a chance.

Also I have to agree with you about our Shoot Boss, a fantastic to guy to work with and Voidoid makes one hell of a backup. Hopefully you and Ulysses will make it up for the November Appleseed. Mr. Freedom
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

AmericaStandsStrong

A very good weekend to say the least. Congratulations to Josh with his 219! Dan, you came so close with your 209! Jeremy had originally checked it and got a 208, I re-checked it and got a 209, but sadly there was no other way to get any more points out of it! Every single one of our shooters was knocking on the door, and I would be willing to bet they will all get Rifleman patches at their next event. I was worried that we would end up with rain, but that only came for a little while on Saturday, and was gone before we know it. KD was a blast. Thank you to Vicki for allowing me to shoot your Springfield 1903, and to Eric for letting me shoot his FN-FAL. I am glad to see that the number of shooters in Leyden is beginning to increase. Hope to see many of you back in November!

-Blake

AmericaStandsStrong

AmericaStandsStrong

Attempting to get a fire going to cook some hotdogs!

Tilyr on the line

Fred on the line

Brothers on the line! Brian on the left, and Fred on the right

Rifleman Josh on the line

Eric gives the 2nd strike

Jeremy gives 3rd strike

Rifleman Josh!

Which dummy rifle is better? The one on the left was found at a garage sale, purchased for $3, where I then sanded the stock, stained it, applied a coat of wax, used steel wool to remove the rust, and painted the tip red. The bolt also works on it, and the trigger clicks to demonstrate follow through, but is missing a sling. The one on the right was carved by Eric, and does in fact have a sling.  ;D

The KD line. The Leyden Rifle Club stretches all the way to 250yds, where we enjoy placing balloons and recreating the Daniel Morgan challenge

Mph_VT

You guys had mosquitoes?

Nice shooting peoples.

Pleasure to see a group of outstanding Americans shooting an awesome variety of rifles.

GoodPiper nice to see that green hat, so congrats.

you guys still shoot pumpkins at 250? I still want to come back for a redux, but yes maybe balloons make a definite statement.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

goodpiper

Pumpkins, they just sit there. . . . requiring multiple 500yd walks to see if you've hit them (this burns a lot of time). Balloons on the other hand, are satisfyingly reactive. Eliminating long time wasting walks, while providing instant gratification.

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: goodpiper on September 28, 2011, 03:37:41 PM
Pumpkins, they just sit there. . . . requiring multiple 500yd walks to see if you've hit them (this burns a lot of time). Balloons on the other hand, are satisfyingly reactive. Eliminating long time wasting walks, while providing instant gratification.

I like Blakes idea of carving out the pumpkins first and filling them with water. Mmmmm toasted pumpkin seeds on the fire in November, hmmmmmm.....
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

dwarven1

The heck with water, put a jar of Tannerite in it... THAT'll give you some instant feedback on hits!  **)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Drigoon12

Hahahahaha great shoot guys sorry it took me so long to get on here, but i'm on here now. Thank you so much for all the support and advice, and Mike (metalgodz) thanks for the ammo.