News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

peace officer?

Started by funshot, February 06, 2011, 08:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funshot

Good evening,

Curious as to what the definition of a peace officer was to the Appleseed?  @&)

Pvt.Joker

I would venture to propose that the definition would be found in the laws of whatever state employs the peace officer.
In CA it's CPC section 830, et seq.
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

nyrasgt

NY State is CPL Article 2, Sect. 2.10 - 2.30, Definitions, Powers,and Training Requirements. generally, sworn Peace Oficers reuire the taking of an oath.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Camljr

Anyone who has sworn to an oath. Hence, iis a "sworn" peace officer.

Could be a district attorney investigator, or an animal control officer... anyone who has the powers of arrest.

I hope this is the interpretation through Appleseed, but maybe some folks smarter than me can expound what Appleseed considers a Peace Officer.
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

colycat

I believe we are referring to the Cops. As in law enforcement officer.

We call them peace officers because that is what they are really suppose to do, keep the peace in society.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

fepowered

Quote from: funshot on February 06, 2011, 08:56:07 PM
Good evening,

Curious as to what the definition of a peace officer was to the Appleseed?  @&)
You must be referencing the language used on Eventbrite when registering for an Appleseed shoot.  Like Colycat said, it is a LEO.  That is the intention and the nomenclature used most everywhere internally.  Elected officials and Law Enforcement Officers are 2 of the groups which shoot free.

QuoteWe will consider anyone who has a current identification card identifying them as a member of a city, county, state, or national law enforcement organization to be an LEO.  We will also include those who carry this identification card and serve in "auxiliary" positions, such as dispatchers.

"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Patriot Gal

Elected Officials shoot free???  I thought we drew the line at elected officials.  This is the first I've heard of elected officials shooting free.

Please clarify this for me (us).  I don't want to be giving out false information.

thanks,
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

SkyHawk

I was always under the impression if you could get a Congressman to show up they would definitely be able to shoot free!

SkyHawk
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

funshot

Thanks for the replys. I know what the law defines as "peace officers" but wasent sure about Appleseed. That was the reason for the question. I thought it was to be more of local PD that cruise around all day, actually interacting with the community (and eating doughnuts ;D). Thanks guys.

TruTenacity

Quote from: Patriot Gal on February 07, 2011, 12:08:11 PM
Elected Officials shoot free???  I thought we drew the line at elected officials.  This is the first I've heard of elected officials shooting free.

Please clarify this for me (us).  I don't want to be giving out false information.

thanks,
Patriot Gal

Patriot Gal,

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19899.0

Click on the link and read #7.

Thanks.

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9