News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colonist made Bayonets???? Pics????

Started by Charles McKinley, March 26, 2013, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles McKinley

I want to find pictures of bayonets that were made in the colonies a la Isaac Davis.

Anyone have a link to pictures or a book that has them??

If I can find them I will try to reproduce them and offer them to IIT3 and above at or below the cost of the shiny import stuff.

I have access to the one from the group Bess buy a few years ago but would like an American example to work from if it can be found

A bayonet it a powerful prop just holding it in you had showing its length and actually seeing the cold steel adds something to the story.  Having it on the end of a Bess even more so but that is far beyond the budget for now.

A pound or so of spring steel, coal, forge and anvil I have.  ;)

Thanks

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Transform

Quote from: Stand on March 26, 2013, 12:20:29 AM
I have access to the one from the group Bess buy a few years ago but

Having it on the end of a Bess even more so but that is far beyond the budget for now.

Sorry for the hijack, but just briefly mentioning that another group Bess buy is being put together for this year.
T'was already supposed to have happened by now, but other projects have gotten in the way.
Back to Stand's topic, anyone with questions about buying a Bess, either PM me or be patient until summer.

Kaylee

Hi!

Yes, the dropped ball on the musket order was entirely mine. I apologize - I've gotten myself up to my ears in books and post-SandyHook development, and let this one fall. Transform, I'll PM you more this afternoon.

Second, regarding locally made bayonets. I believe  it was Concord voted to have local blacksmiths produce them. I recall seeing a couple bayonets on extant provenanced muskets and fowlers at the National Heritage Museum -

http://www.nationalheritagemuseum.org/
781-861-6559

... but to my untutored recollection they did not look different from standard Bess bayonets in form, nor were they marked as local manufacture. It's entirely possible these were war-era pickups or commercial products fit to the fowling pieces at a later date - I simply don't know. The museum may be able to help you however.

Secondly, if *anyone* has an extant locally-made bayonet, I would expect it to be the Concord Museum -

http://www.concordmuseum.org/
200 Lexington Rd  Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-9763

I don't know for certain, but can make arrangements to go later this week to scout them out if you like. However, as both museums don't allow photographs your best bet is to call and ask for a curator who can help - and perhaps provide photos if available.

Finally - the commonality I've seen on most colonial arms of the Concord fight is a long, slender barrel and forearm, sometimes a sloped buttstock after the French fashion, and - here's the fun thing - the sights. There is usually a sighting notch filed in the rear breechplug and a *very* fine, small front sight set about 4-5" back from the muzzle. The stock itself is about 3" shy of the muzzle, with a heavy Bess-style bayonet lug UNDER the barrel. Both metal and wood ramrods are in evidence, and it's not uncommon to see parts from other arms pieced into the arm (a Bess-looking ramrod pipe, a French lock, etc)

Charles McKinley

Hi thanks for the links.  I will check out the museums.

If the price is even close to the last group buy I'm interested.  The last time the price was several hundred less than the cheapest Bess and bayonet I have found recently.

My luck it will be the same week the Marlin LTR is ready.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

FiremanBob

Stand,

There are about 20 different American socket bayonets illustrated in the book, "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann. The earliest ones date to around 1740.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Charles McKinley

Thanks Bob,

Now to see if the Library can get it for me.