News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chesty Puller Understood

Started by Unbridled Liberty, June 22, 2012, 11:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

I'm reading the book "Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller". Puller, a combat veteran of jungle fighting in Haiti and Nicaragua, was attending an Army infantry school at Ft. Benning which had courses taught by officer instructors who had never been in combat. The year was 1931.

From the book:
One lecturer told the students that volume of fire in the field was more important than accuracy. That brought Puller to his feet. "You must have forgotten what happened in the American Revolution," he said. "We won that war with accurate fire, when the enemy had all the volume. It won at Kings Mountain and Saratoga, and every other battle we won...It's still like that, anywhere I've seen men shooting it out. You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." There was applause from the class.

Reading this just made me smile.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx for your post on Gen Charles(Chesty) Puller . I recall reading a couple different books on this man who started life as a private . fighting the communist sandinistas in Nicuaragua and el salvador
Chesty's picture is proudly displayed amoung other Americans who have made diffirence. This pic features him wearing an M65 field jacket with USMC emblem on the pocket ,hanging around his neck are a pair of binoculars .

When fighting in korea so the story goes ,army brass was 30 miles away from the action ,they were fed fresh food served by guys wearing white gloves ! A reporter at the front lines asked Chesty "where is your command post " ? Gen Puller replies "Your looking at it and we enjoy our C rations cold ,besides we need the trucks to haul our ammo " Truly a Marines ,Marine .

Incidently the USMC was founded before the constitution Nov 10 1775 ---Semper Fidelis !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

scuzzy

Ol' Chesty. My favorite Marine.

They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards. - Chesty Puller.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Francis Marion

If it's good enough for Chesty Puller, it's good enough for us!

CharlieHotel

General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, Not Charles...    :)

CH

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 23, 2012, 02:29:42 AM
Thanx for your post on Gen Charles(Chesty) Puller . I recall reading a couple different books on this man who started life as a private . fighting the communist sandinistas in Nicuaragua and el salvador
Chesty's picture is proudly displayed amoung other Americans who have made diffirence. This pic features him wearing an M65 field jacket with USMC emblem on the pocket ,hanging around his neck are a pair of binoculars .

When fighting in korea so the story goes ,army brass was 30 miles away from the action ,they were fed fresh food served by guys wearing white gloves ! A reporter at the front lines asked Chesty "where is your command post " ? Gen Puller replies "Your looking at it and we enjoy our C rations cold ,besides we need the trucks to haul our ammo " Truly a Marines ,Marine .

Incidently the USMC was founded before the constitution Nov 10 1775 ---Semper Fidelis !
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: CharlieHotel on June 23, 2012, 08:08:12 PM
General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, Not Charles...    :)

CH

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 23, 2012, 02:29:42 AM

Thank you for the important correction -His name was definately Lewis , I glanced for the book and went with a poor guess :-[Thanx again for setting this straight  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge