News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leadville, CO August 24-25 2013

Started by Offy, August 26, 2013, 05:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offy

On behalf of Sheepdog and the rest of the instructors, I want to say thank you to all the students.  I saw the groups shrink, and had a great time interacting with all of you.

Sheepdog is out of the range of modern technology and was unable to start this thread.  He asked me to do so while he hit the road and is enjoying some vacation time.  He will have something to say as soon as he is back in a week.

Here is a link to see all the photos I took.  I know someone else or others were taking pictures, feel free to post links or attach the photos here too.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/offy_775/library/Leadvillle%20August%202013

TaosGlock

Another successful Project Appleseed shoot at the highest range in America! 10,152 feet!
Thus, the worlds' highest Appleseeds are held here! :~
Huzzah!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Sheepdog

AAR Leadville, CO August 24-25, 2013
By Sheepdog, the shootboss.

Shooters, this is the place you can be heard. If you are inclined, write a note outlining your experience and compare and contrast your expectations.  Lots of great ideas come from the After Action Reports and you contributions are appreciated.

Leadville Rod and Gun Club was the scene of this event. Ron Valentine, John and the other members were great hosts and opened the facility to the exclusive use of Appleseed this weekend. Thanks Ron and everybody connected with your club. Your continued and unwavering support of the Appleseed Project is truly appreciated.

Going into the weekend it looked like the line would be near or exceeding capacity and the forecast threatened rain with a 30% probability. Turns out, our line was full and rain was not an issue until late on Sunday.

There was a good representation of shooters on the line. We had families, kids, moms and dads and even a few first time shooters. It was a great bunch who took their instruction seriously.

Our shooters worked hard all weekend. Perseverance and persistence were tried and practiced. As we worked our way through the POI you could see the lessons being absorbed and group size shrunk. All the usual issues with getting the position, placing NPOA on target, and working through the six steps were experienced.

We shot a couple practice AQTs the first day and introduced the clock on Sunday. Ron repeated his Rifleman performance and several shooters saw significant gains scoring 190s through low 200s on Sunday.

Our local team, represented by Black Powder and J-Frame (both IITs) did a great job of keeping things safe. Offy successfully advanced from IIT2 to IIT3. All instructors did a great job furthering the mission and transferring knowledge to our students.

That's all for now.  See you all at a shoot soon. Until then , be safe and enjoy dry practice.

Mike
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Hams

So that's how you truly shoot a rifle.
I really enjoyed my first Appleseed.
I thought the pace was great. I was able to learn what I didn't know (and what to practice at the house and the range). I look forward to one day doing all 6 steps in one shot.  ;)  And making smaller adjustments to get my NPOA on target quickly.
I'm looking forward to the next Appleseed and hopefully earning my rifleman patch one day.
Sheepdog - thank you  for running a great event. And Offy, Black Powder and J-Frame were very helpful.
And thanks to Ron Valentine and the Leadville Rod and Gun Club for being such great hosts.
Finally, thank to my neighbor, I hear he goes by Mellow Yellow, for turning me on to Project Appleseed.
-John

Sheepdog

John, I hope I can be there to give you that patch. Keep working on it!
SD/Mike
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT