News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rainbow California August 6th/7th 2011 AAR

Started by 4Posterity, August 08, 2011, 01:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Posterity

Hello All-

Just returned from yet another outstanding Appleseed Event at L.E. Duncan's Rainbow Shooting Club in Northern San Diego County, and wanted to get an After Action Reports thread started.

We had 18 motivated students turn out for this event.  With a staff of 7 instructors on hand Saturday and 8 on Sunday, we were able to provide a lot of personalized instruction, and the results were quite apparent. 

Congratulations to the two newest Riflemen in California, Frank and Ladd.  And further congratulations to Frank and Ladd as they both stood up to accept the Orange Hat and joined the ranks of the California RWVA Instructors Corp.

There are photos to post, stories to tell, and thanks to offer, but it is late so I will pause for now, and continue with more tomorrow. 

To any attendees who happen by this thread for a visit, please feel free to post a message and add your comments.

Mark
4Posterity

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

ChadC

Excellent! I'm bummed I missed it, but other priorities got in the way!

CONGRATS LADD! Way to go! I would of liked to see you do it!
-Chad

lclark

Thank you to all the instructors who made it a fantastic weekend.  The instruction was great, the material was covered very well.  I appreciate all of the volunteer's time and was very impressed by Rainbow's facilities.  I especially appreciate the passion and effort made with regards to sharing our history and encouraging others to do the same.

Thank you all and I look forward to joining you again!

--
Leonard Clark

P.S.  My shoulder is about as tender as you might expect.  Lesson learned :-)

Ruger

Thanks to Mark and all the instructors, I had another great weekend. I normally am not concerned with scores as long as I am improving but I am excited about becoming an instructor. I know I will learn more behind the line than in front and that is saying a lot because of the amount I have learned since my first seed. Everyone I invited is wanting to come to the next one with some practice in between. Chad, thanks for the encouragement and I look forward to seeing you and your son again soon. Ladd

4Posterity

OK, now for some details.

We had another excellent Appleseed event hosted by L.E. Duncan's Rainbow Shooting Club.  We had a good mix of first-time Appleseed attendees, along with a number of returning students intent on working towards their Rifleman's qualification, plus those who just came back for another dose of history and heritage!  The weather was quite warm, and all appreciated StormN's collection of Easy-Up awnings creating some artificial shade in the sea of sagebrush and granite. 

During the Saturday morning introductions we learned that we had a number of students exercising their second-amendment rights for the first time, a few hunters, and several "young-uns" out for an introduction to rifle marksmanship.  We also had some stiff competition for the "seventh-stepper of the month".  Leonard, a first-time Appleseeder, brought along 4 members of his family, and was looking to be the king of recruiting for this week.  Not to be outdone, Ladd arrived with 5 additional students in-tow, and proved to be the champ for the event.

While most of our students were from around the So Cal area, we had one notable exception.  When asked about her home shooting range Kat replied that she she was from Texas, and Texas is a range.  Never thought I'd have a student come to Rainbow California from Texas to learn to shoot, but I guess the word is out about the California RWVA program.

We also had Mercedes down from Seattle attending the event with her grandparents, Jeff and and Dana.  Which is farther from Rainbow, Seattle or Texas? 

We got right into the course of instruction and shot the first Red-Coat of the weekend.  A tally of the scoring on this first Red Coat revealed that we had plenty of room for improvement, as well as several folks who we expected would be knocking on the door of the rifleman's club before the weekend was over.

Throughout the day Saturday we saw steady improvement being made by our students.  We resolved a few minor equipment issues, worked on those pesky steady-hold factors, cajoled everyone into good positions, and watched the shot groups shrink down to respectable sizes.  We really packed 'em in for the history and heritage at lunch time.  Well, maybe that really was because we managed to squeeze everyone into the shade under Norm's 4 Easy-Ups, but the crowd was intent on the stories, and not all those blinking eyes were caused by sweat.

Sunday morning most of Saturday's crowd returned with the addition of three Appleseeders from previous events who were back for a day of AQTs in their quest for the rifleman's patch.  After a quick refresher we got right into the AQTs and watched the progress continue.

Thomas went from having his shots "somewhere on the target" to shooting nice little groups. 

Kat proved to be a real trooper.  I don't think she missed a single course of fire the entire weekend in spite of the heat, but what would you expect from a proud Texican? Here skills improved significantly, and the improvement in her comfort and confidence in handling a rifle was obvious to all.  Better yet, Kat promised to work on recruiting a new range for Appleseed Events back home in Texas.  Wonder what the Texas Instructors will say if a Shoot Boss from California invades their homeland to run an event on Lone Star soil?

Stefan and Christine returned intent on improving their marksmanship, and that they did.  Christine set a new personal best with a score of 196, up from the mid 100's at the last event.  Stefan made steady progress and turned in an oh-so-close 206 at the end of the day Sunday.  Both promised to try to re-arrange their schedule to be able to attend the Corona210 next month.

Kensley and Mercedes, strangers Saturday morning, became fast-friends over the weekend.  Both ventured out into the sun for turns on the line.  Posterity in action.

Leonard was down at the far end of the line throughout the weekend.  By the end of the day Sunday we lost sight of him behind that immense mound of 7.62 brass ejected by his awesome M1A.  In addition to being an outstanding 7th stepper, Leonard made strong progress in his rifle marksmanship skills and promised to be back, although perhaps with a Ruger or Marlin LTR next time.

Ladd was back, intent on earning his rifleman's patch.  We have had our eyes on Ladd, believing him to possess a true rifleman's heart, and hoping to recruit him into the RWVA Instructor Corps.  Reinforcing my beliefs about his spirit and dedication to the program, Ladd showed up an hour early Sunday, produced an industrial-sized weed-wacker, and proceeded to tidy up the entire range prior to getting his gear out onto the line. 

Ladd has been the embodiment of perseverance.  Over several Appleseed events his scores have steadily improved, but the rifleman's score had eluded him.  This weekend his improvement continued.  By Sunday afternoon Ladd had shot in the high 180's, then in the mid 190's, a 204, a 208, several in the 2-teens, and then a 220.  A rifleman perseveres!  What do you do with a guy who brings a group of 6 to an Appleseed event, then does the gardening and cleanup of the range before everyone else gets there, and follows that up with a steadily improving string of Rifleman qualifying scores on the AQT?  Well, you put an Orange Hat on his head of course!

Last but certainly not least I'll mention Frank.  Frank attended an Appleseed quite a while ago as a new shooter.  He returned this weekend for a refresher and to work on his skills.  Saturday he quickly regained his form, demonstrating good skills and good application of the steady hold factors and 6-steps to taking the shot.  But....his groups and scores just didn't seem to match his form.  Our instructors took turns watching him on the line, but saw nothing untoward, and began to suspect his equipment.  Sunday Frank returned with a new scope on his rifle, and with some assistance from the instructors quickly got his rifle sighted in.  His scores quickly improved, but then fell off again due to another equipment issue.  Not to be discouraged, Frank accepted a well-proven and dependable loaner rifle from one of the instructors and proceeded to shoot the high score of the weekend, an excellent 228 on the AQT. 

Using all my considerable charm and grace I smoothly approached Frank intending to maneuver him into becoming an RWVA instructor.  I got about half-way into my opening line when Frank stopped me and said something like, 'I know why you are talking to me, I've heard this kind of line before'.  Before I could go on, he told me that he would really like to be an Appleseed Instructor and that he would gladly accept an Orange Hat.  Ah, Magoo, you charming devil, you've done it again (am I dating myself?).

Have you ever attended an event where you did not hear a single complaint the entire weekend?  This group of students was a joy to work with, and I'd like to thank each and every one for taking the time to come out for a weekend of heritage and marksmanship and for making the event so special for our instructors.

I would also like to recognize and thank my excellent group of instructors for this event.  First, thanks to my own "posterity", my son Michael , who as usual was as solid as a rock, filled in wherever needed, and allowed me to concentrate on the students throughout the weekend. 

Next, StormN and StormNSheri.  Sheri is a Blue Hat, and excels at all of the logistics, production work and behind the scenes work that keep the Appleseed Project running, including most of my Appleseed Events.  Norm is the master of equipment and logistics, and as usual fixed, adjusted and cajoled as needed to keep everyone on the line.  Strong work!

Jeff (Jshoebot) and Norm and Sheri's son Zach (LibertysSonZt) really stepped it up this event and handled the majority of the instruction duties for the weekend.  Chuck (UpChuck, as in "Hey, what's Up, Chuck?) did an outstanding job of providing one-on-one instruction and individual attention to our students.  San Diego County is developing a skilled pool of instructors and with people like these the future looks good.

Justin was on hand as is usual for a Rainbow event, working the line coaching the fine points of marksmanship and telling the stories of the Dangerous Old Men of The Revolution.  I think Justin was working his 7th Appleseed Event in 7-weeks.  We should all be so dedicated to the project!  Thank you for taking the time to do just one more event before taking a weekend off!

And a special thanks to Debby (Legacy).  Debby is one of the owners of the range her father created, as well as being a California Rifleman and an RWVA Appleseed Instructor.  She 7th-stepped Kit and Kensley for this event, worked the line the entire weekend, and had a smile for everyone at the event.

Our Rainbow Events are always full, and for good reasons.  The next Appleseed here is in October and I suggest that you sign up early as with Appleseeders like Leonard, Ladd and Debby the available spots will disappear quickly.

Now, the rest of you get busy and post some images from the event and add your comments and observations!

Mark

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

Nice report 4p --
Welcome to  California's new Rifleman O0
Good  to see you Ruger.

Waiting on pic's if anyone has them .
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

StormNSheri

Hi all, as promised here are the photo's from the weekend . . . Part 1 of 4

StormNSheri

More Photo's Part 2 of 4

StormNSheri

And More Photo's Part 3 of 4

StormNSheri

And here is the balance of the photo's. Welcome to the new riflemen, and thank you to all who attended. I look forward to seeing you all again!

Wulfie

Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words then StorminNSheri's many excellent pictures and 4posterity's excellent, funny, and detailed report say it all. 

Thank you, again, to everybody.  A more helpful, generous group of folks, instructors and students alike, you'll never find.  The Rainbow event was especially good for its low student-instructor ratio.  Thanks especially to 4posterity for your unflagging enthusiasm and attention to your students. 

Chuck, Justin, and Norm, without your constant attention I would have left Sunday evening discouraged instead of wearing an orange hat and a grin on my sweaty face, eager to tell my kids the story of how when Appleseed instructors with the heart of a teacher meet a student who is willing to persevere then excellent things can happen. 

To paraphrase a prominent radio/tv personality, Rainbow Appleseed is my "endorsed local provider" of marksmanship training combined with American heritage.

I look forward to returning to the Rainbow Appleseed for my son's second shoot.  Personal goals:  Bring 7 other people to Appleseed during the next calendar year; follow Zach's advice and dry practice between shoots; improve on my score; clear the final redcoat; read one of the books 4posterity recommended; share some of the stories of dangerous old men, among others, with my children; follow-up on the instructor in training process.

Thank you for all that you do.  In the words of one of the world's most famous and recognizable philosophers, "do or do not...there is no try."  -  Yoda.  BTW- Yoda would be a big fan of the step requiring the shooter to focus his/her mind on keeping the front sight on the target.   O0

Frank (AKA "Wulfie")

Legacy

Another successful Appleseed event at Rainbow Range!

My first event as Instructor In Training was great fun, and made even better by having good friend Kat & her 8 year old daughter Kensley there experiencing an Appleseed and the importance of what is taught. For me, the greatest success of the weekend came on Sunday morning. After the day spent on Saturday with Kensley saying she didn't want to shoot and wasn't going to shoot (influenced by her grandmother who wasn't there), Sunday morning she said "I want to shoot now!" The cherry on top came after her first volley of shots when she said "That was fun!" She ended up shooting about a hundred rounds that day! (Granny was not pleased to hear the news.  ;D)

Many thanks to Ladd for the Range improvements with his weed whacker! A fine example of going above & beyond!

And, CONGRATULATIONS to Ladd, as well as Frank, for shooting Rifleman and accepting the orange hat! Your knowledge is about to increase exponentially! I especially loved Frank's story of his metamorphous from an anti gunner to Rifleman and Appleseed Instructor in less that 2 years!

Finally, as a new IIT, I give a big THANK YOU to Mark & all the instructors for suggestions, guidance & help throughout the weekend.  :bow: You have my gratitude.

See ya at the next one,
Debby
Remember their sacrifice. Celebrate our liberty. Cherish your freedom.

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Michael

Congrats! to Ladd and Frank for your Rifleman scores, to all of the first time shooters, and to everyone else working on getting that Rifleman patch. All of you showed a tremendous willingness to listen to and learn from what we had to say. This was a very enjoyable shoot to instruct at thanks to the attitude of the shooters involved.

Thank You All,

Michael

Ruger

Mark if you receive this can you please call me at your convince. Thanks Ladd, 676-4897

perkykatt

Howdy, y'all!!!  I had the best time EVER out there with Y'all and I can't wait to spread the word!  Mark, Mike, StormN, N the whole gang deserve a great Big Texas THANKY!!!  And most of all, Thanks to one of the best friends a person can have, Legacy (AKA Debby), for signing Us up for this important event!  I can't thank all the instructors and fellow shooters enough for the comraderie and attention.... I can't wait to invite y'all down here to Texas for a record breaking Appleseed Weekend!  Good friends were made and Histor came alive!
God Bless y'all!  (and we can STILL say that in Texas and not get in trouble!! ;)

scuzzy

Quote from: 4Posterity on August 09, 2011, 12:57:08 AM

Wonder what the Texas Instructors will say if a Shoot Boss from California invades their homeland to run an event on Lone Star soil?

Mark

We'd say "Howdy, thanks for coming down."
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.