News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA WINTER shoot

Started by socalserf, December 15, 2008, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalserf

Another fine Appleseed weekend passed at Mike Rauhagees fine range in Corona.
We had 24 shhoters on the line Saterday and was it ever cold!
Rain threatened all day but never came. The wind started blowing at mid morning and really chilled things.
The bright side to cool weather is that you can pad-up with out being over heated.

We had mostly new faces. Dennis returned and brought a friend.
One group of university students came from Orange County, always great to see young people interested in learning marksmanship and history.
Several people and one group told me that they heard of the program through the Alex Jones radio show.
Interesteing thing was that we had a half the line with big bore rifles, M1As, Garand, and one G3.
Laylopro suggested that the big boys shoot on the left and small bores on the right.
That worked perfectly through both days. No new shooters were intimidated by the shock and awe(or hot brass)of the large 30s.
Sunday went so quickly! We shot until it late in the day and would have like to go long had not light been a factor.
This was a real shame as we had two shooters who looked like Rifleman candidates late Saterday.

Sunday was 31 degrees at dawn. But with sunshine and no wind it was much more pleasant, at least to me.
14 folks returned to work through aches and fatigue and lean some more.
Son of the Republic was awarded his Red Hat, well done sir!
We jumped right into the AQT and Micheal became the first Rifleman of the weekend.
Our other potential shooter had changed rifles that morning and had to start over.
We grinded the AQTs all day and made two more Riflemen.
The second Rifleman was Anthony, who shot a convincing score and small groups.
Micheal and Anthony also asked for and recieved their Orange hats.
Our last one on the final AQT, way to presist Liz.
I witness her shooting the most beautifully centered and tightest groups that I had seen in a while.
She worked through gun malfunctions like not haveing an automatic bolt release on her 10-22 that would hurt her otherwise flawless performance.(By the way, Liz came out with out her husband who had other business. O0)
The day end far to soon.
We made new friends and caught up with old friends.
All of the shooters I spoke with told me that their abilty improved, and that good old fashion marksmanship training still works as well as it always has.
Many folks also commented on the history segment positively. I always say that the history IS Appleseed.

Off to work now.

"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Junior Birdman

Congrats to SotR!!!  As fine an Instructor as could be found!  And thanks to the new Orange Hats for stepping up!  California continues to roll ahead!  HUZZAH!!!! 
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Old Glory!

Quote from: socalserf on December 15, 2008, 09:03:48 AM
Another fine Appleseed weekend passed at Mike Rauhagees fine range in Corona.
We had 24 shhoters on the line Saterday and was it ever cold!
Rain threatened all day but never came. The wind started blowing at mid morning and really chilled things.
The bright side to cool weather is that you can pad-up with out being over heated.

TWO CA AS's this weekend!  Great work!  CA continues to forge rifleman/IIT's/Red Hats on the AS trail.  Congratulations all!

But, cold ??? :))  WI had -1.3 degrees COLD last night. :o Guess that's why we, here in the midwest, have somewhat taken AS indoors in December.

While forging more IIT's and Red Hats via the IBC method here in the Great Lakes Region this past weekend at the Ottawa, IL IBC, we spoke of eight months ago, April 19, 2008, when CA MADE HISTORY with it's FIRST AS.  NOW look at CA! 

April 19, 2009 CA looks forward to 13 AS's!!!  No doubt!

Since CA is still outside on the AS trail, can someone get some film footage at the next CA (or anywhere in the USA) AS?  We are going to need it for promotion of April 19, 2009.  Can someone put together a video or audio commercial for April 19, 2009 introducing the AS Project.  QUICKLY!   Which one of you has these connections?  Experts in media (from ANYWHERE!), HELP!!!

Keep up the good work, CA.

oooohhgeeezfrozencheeeeeez

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Francis Marion

Son of the Republic dons his red hat on the same range where he attended the first CA AS.  Huzzah!
And yes, the weather was an CA arctic snow emergency:  that is, frost-dusted ground at dawn, but temps quickly jumping up to the 50s with sunrise, occasional breezes.  And yet a hardy people thrive under such harsh conditions.
People came from San Diego and from Arizona.  People came from the next county over, and from the next town over. 
Americans travelled freely, met in public, and shot together, and also learned something about the esteem 18th century New Englanders placed upon Liberty. 
We travel, meet, speak our minds, and own guns because of the heritage which these men and women paid for in blood and loss for us.
And so Americans, at liberty, spent a weekend in Liberty.
Instruction in shooting fundamentals was their means to knowledge.
People left that weekend shooting better than they first started. 
Three earned Rifleman patches. 
All learned how to shoot properly. 
I have yet to regret spending a weekend in the 1700s.
More shoots are on the schedule, all over the state. 
If you enjoyed walking back in time, then join us again, and bring friends and family.
I'm honored to have received this tradition, and hope that I have transmitted some part of it to you all.   

LayloPro

Yeah.....another wonderful AS spent in the company of like minded thinkers......I can only offer a personal experience here, so I try hard to not only instruct and interpret as needed, but to try & open my heart to the folks who come to these events, so they can leave their imprint on me as well....

Yep, it was "kinda chilly" for most normal Californians....I had just returned from a great week in Illinois, where the high temp was somewhere around 36F, so it wasn't too bad for me at all.... 8) <:)
But, the shooters bundled up, & soaked up the fire hose of info we began pouring out on them......we saw some really terrific improvements, & knew we were gonna get a few Riflemen out of the weekend. There were some who had technical difficulties with their rifles & equipment, but we pressed on, continuing the interaction between shooter & target......

This was SoCalSerf's debut as a SB, and he handled the chores & instruction admirably.....what a nice, calm person to share time & 'Seed's with....gotta love it!! ;) Bob210 was in attendance on Saturday as well, but saw the efforts of his training take hold from the past several shoots, and he appeared very happy @ the way things were presented, & handled..... O0

We had a -very quiet- surprise lurking (Because SonoftheRepublic is -very- astute), when SoCal was able to present him with his well deserved & hard earned Red Hat. I think we actually caught him by surprise (which is hard to do!) & he was very humbled by the additional responsibility of it......what an awesome instructor he is gonna be! O0 <:) ;)

Also as importantly, we had three hard charging folks who managed to step up their game to capture the deserved Rifleman's patch (with the attendant "California" rocker!). Michael has been shooting for decades, & was able to put it all together with the 1st QDAQT on Sunday morning (finishing the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th stages, after we had shot the 1st stage in the -very- waning light of Saturday!). He was followed by Anthony, who had been pounding -HARD- on the door with some mid 200's, before he finally got tightened up, & popped out a RM score. And, certainly not to be outdone by the guys, we had a really neat gal (Liz) who had been very steadily persisting thru sight adjustments & equipment issues, hit her groups on the final QDAQT, and show some truly awesome grouping with her RM score!
Congratulations to you three!!! O0 O0 <:)
And, to top it all off, Michael & Anthony decided they also wanted to join ranks with us, and donned the Orange hats of destiny! Liz is holding off on hers, simply because she wants her husband to make it out to an AS, get his patch, then they can hop on the AS trail together!! That is a righteous wife, guys!! <:) O0 :)

As far as the numbers went, here are some.....
Saturday, we had 24 folks on the line.
1st redcoat
400  yds -  0
300 yds - 0
200 yds - 2
100 yds - 2
H/S - 0

Sunday final redcoat (with 12 shooters)
400 yds - 1
300 yds - 2
200 yds - 5
100 yds - 3
H/S - 3

Not a bad weekend at all, I would think.... :D <:)

I'll post some pictures now, since I know a pix is worth many words for those who see.....

How was your weekend?
Laylopro[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3][attachment=4][attachment=5]
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

More pix! ;D

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Still more.....

LLP

SonoftheRepublic

Certainly was a great Appleseed Weekend.  My thanks to Serf for a superb job of Shootbossing - One can really tell his heart is in this and that his integrity is strong. And to Laylopro for his excellent support, renditions of history, and generally helping to keep things moving with that cheerful and ever-present big smile of his.  And to all the IIT's.

Yes, the Red Hat came as a complete surprise, and I only hope that I can be worthy of the honor and added responsibility it represents.  Bob 210 and Junior Birdman have certainly given us all much inspiration and are tremendous models to live up to.  Thank you all.

Congratulations to Michael, Anthony and Elizabeth!  Welcome to the ranks of Rifleman!  And to all the rest, becoming a Rifleman is a journey well worth pursuing.  A journey that will not only build your skills, but bolster and strenghen the foundations of our American Heritage, both within and without.  Our country needs every one of you to do your part.

SOR
Give them the History, Immerse them in the Tradition. - The Power of Appleseed

The Appleseed Project - "Returning America To A Nation Of Riflemen"

mycrstuff

Congrats to all of our new rifleman. One thing I noticed about Anthony and Liz that set them apart from the other shooters was the fact that they took written notes during the instruction. I know from school that it is easier to memorize something when you write it down. On the Appleseed what to bring list a notebook is recommended, but this was the first time I actually saw somebody take notes. If taking notes speeds up one's journey to becoming a rifleman we should encourage everyone to take notes.

Dan
mycrstuff