News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rocky Creek Ranch "RBC3" at Myakka Florida

Started by PHenry, October 18, 2011, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

Nothing new to us Appleseeders. When attendance was obviously below minimum for a full 6-day RBC, we developed a plan that would allow three IITs to still get most of what they needed from this event. While it would not have worked with truly "green" attendees, who had never been to an event, it worked very well for the three instructors in training who braved beautiful weather, gourmet food, and the luxurious RCR venue.

We began by arriving Tuesday evening. Well, that is me and the mouse in my pocket. You see all the others got there earlier in the day and did all of the work setting up the target lines - both the 25M and 500 yard. The lowly shoot boss came straggling in around dark, just in time for dinner comprised of Mrs. Baden's very yummie turkey chili!

Wednesday at 0700 we mustered for breakfast in the lodge and shortly thereafter, got to work. We headed out to the 25M line for the First Strike, line commands and safety rules, then the traditional Redcoat and some squares to get the shooters zeroed. Once that was accomplished, we went into teaching the teachers - much like day 6 at a full RBC. It were a long day, with much learned and it went well owing to the caliber of the students and the instructors who actually worked. You know me - I just sit and point now and agin, working hard at looking like I am awake.  ^-^

Thursday AM was all about advanced marksmanship and we went over the four elements in detail: Target Detection, Vertical, Horizontal, and Taking the Shot (the easy peasy part). After lunch, we headed out to the 500 yard range, otherwise knowed as "Slash Pine Range". We began at 100 yards on 4 minute squares and then went into a full distance AQT from 100  to 400 yards. Next we proved (see, there's that "we" thing agin - I didn't do squat - the shooters did it all) that what I say at the beginning of every event is true - that a Rifleman can consistently engage targets out to 500 yards, the Traditional Rifleman's Quarter Mile! Huzaah!

Friday was all day on the KD line, working up DOPE on different rifles and banging away at steel targets courtesy of Parramore Foundry and Machine Works owned by our own Willorith - many thanks Brian! These are cut to match the 4 & 5 rings on the Army "D" target and man are they great for instant hit notification at full distance!

Evenings around the campfire. Rifle clinics in the gazebo.  History after dinner in the lodge, with our gracious host Chris Baden doting on us and serving desert. Did I mention shooting steel sils at 500 yards?

Sat Am rolled around all too soon, and the students plied their newly sharpened skills on the 6 students who came for the weekend event. My hat is off to all ya'll: Airplane Joe, NukeofHazard, and Sherpa

And to the staff of seasoned instructors, without whom, well heck, without whom nothing would have got done, as yours truly is lazy and old and slow as the Florida days are lovely this time of year.  O0

For thems who was considering this event and "choked" - best look out for next year and sign up early. While the shoot boss may be marginal, this venue and the Florida cadre who work it are tops! As Chris Baden, the host says, come for the fun, stay for the calories! ;D :~ :~ :~

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

TowedJumper

Sigh.  I am over here on the left coast and from your description am sorry I missed it.  Keep doing it right over there!  I am sure I will get to an RBC sometime over here and I can only hope its close to as good as that sounded!
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

9mm4545

How come it seems that these RBC things seem to end too soon? This RBC (lite) was excellent and unlike last time, the weather was great. The facility is top notch and the learning never stops. When I first started with Appleseed I had heard about Rifleman Boot Camps and just the sound of "Boot Camp" was a bit of a turn-off. I had no idea. Imagine concentrated, extra strength rifleman knowledge liberally applied for days at a time and you will get the idea. Wide ranging discussions after dinner in front of a lovely camp fire provide a perfect ending for each day and forge bonds among friends that will last for a lifetime. I can't wait until next time...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

TowedJumper

Quote from: 9mm4545 on October 18, 2011, 08:43:51 PM
How come it seems that these RBC things seem to end too soon? This RBC (lite) was excellent and unlike last time, the weather was great. The facility is top notch and the learning never stops. When I first started with Appleseed I had heard about Rifleman Boot Camps and just the sound of "Boot Camp" was a bit of a turn-off. I had no idea. Imagine concentrated, extra strength rifleman knowledge liberally applied for days at a time and you will get the idea. Wide ranging discussions after dinner in front of a lovely camp fire provide a perfect ending for each day and forge bonds among friends that will last for a lifetime. I can't wait until next time...

Sounds like a good restaurant.  You walk in and item after item on the menu sounds like the most amazing thing ever created.  I will take two of those, 3 of those, oh and 2 of those...   O0  My first AS was in July and I have managed to miss all of them in the area so far.  GRRRRR :slap:
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

airplanejoe

Ditto to all previous comments. I can honestly say that not only I learned a lot, but I left with plenty undigested information that will take days to incorporate into my knowledge data base. The facilities were top-notch! What else can I say? Sign me up for the next one!!!

rambo granny

Boot camp is not just for the guys. Obviously I am still thinking about that awesome experience days after the event.
Rocky Creek will delight all genders so ladies, don't miss it next year.
Not mentioning any names but a couple of instructors bagged full distance scores of 230 & 241, improving over the previous year.
Being around all these fabulous AS people at one time is most assuredly food for the soul.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

PHenry

230 & 241 That would be a "family affair" between Rambo Granny and her handsome man, 9mm4545.  O0

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)