News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Proctor,VT Oct 2&3, 2010

Started by GMB74, October 04, 2010, 09:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMB74

A perfect fall weekend, chilly but sunny. In the course of the weekend we had seven students, quite a bit lower than the usual participation. Bowhunting season for deer opened this weekend and may have been a factor. To make up for the shortage of students we had a total of eight instructors for the weekend,five of them IiT's. It seems the Saratoga, NY region has had a number of people accept the orange hat this summer and they came over to get some training and experience. Thus, our shoot did double duty instructing instructors as well as students. We didn't end up with any new riflemen, but all the students improved dramatically and several will undoubtably shoot rifleman scores in the near future. The IiT's were able to work one-on-one with the students and rotate line duties, helping them sharpen and improve their instructing skills. Thank you to Buzzworth and R1sgtx2, my red hat instructors, and waizen, roadrunner, sureshot, topcat, and dakota30, the IiT's. It was a pleasure working with you all and you are welcome to come to any future shoots we have.

Spartan

Sounds great!!!  Wish I could have been there.
"With your shield or on it"

waizen

I would like to especially thank our illustrious shoot boss, GMBH74, for bringing in his Garand and letting us all take it for a test drive. It's a rare treat that many of us get to experience...first hand...such a fine and important part of our military history. And, I found that the old girl still shoots sub-moa! CMP, here I come!

Thanks, GMBH74!

dakota30

This was my 3rd AS, i love each one more than the last.   But this time.notice i have on some electric ORANGE headgear!    this was my 1st AS as an IIT and i got to see the view from the other side of the line!  And it was GREAT   ^:)^   i want to thank the Shoot Boss , Jim, and also the other instructors that were at our shoot, for having patience with us newbies and allowing us to take some responsiblities that not only did you guys usually do, but i know you can do it better. but you all took the time to teach us as well as instruct the shooters on the line.  My goal is to be as good as you all are!!!    here are some pics i took of our shoot. hope they are enjoyed!!!!

THE CREW!

StickMark....doing some one-on-one instructing with Ralph..........HEY!!!   WHERE WAS THE SIGNATURE STICK?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ohhhhhh...right, it was on the trunk of his car.......back in a NY parking lot.     hahahahahahah!!!
&)  &)  &)   &)   &)  &)  &)  &)  &)   &)  &)  &)

dakota30

Here are some more pics.   I tried to adjust the HUGE pics in the first post....they aren't cooperating!   !@#)

SB Jim and his M1 Garrand.     That he let EVERYONE who wanted to, take a couple shots!  That was a huge highlight of the shoot for me!  and very generous of the Bossman!!!  :bow:
here are a few of us with the M1.

dakota30

Mark giving a very good history lesson in telling a strike!!

Kate Cartwright

This was my first AS ever and I had such a great time. It was a completely different style of shooting than what I'm used to and while I have some habits to 'unlearn', I made progress and I will definitely be back. Thanks to all the instructors, IITs and the shoot boss. You guys (and gal) made it such a fun weekend and not once did I feel uncomfortable or pressured to do better than I was; encouraged yes, pressured no. I especially enjoyed hearing about the history from people that are so passionate about it. You guys really brought it to life for me.

I wanted to thank the shoot boss in particular for lending me a rifle with all the working gear. I actually went out the day after I got home and bought one of my own so I can make all the needed adjustments for the next shoot.  :) And I immediately started harassing friends and family about coming with me the next time. Hopefully the next time I come out will be with a group.  ;D

GMB74

Thank you for all your kind words. I am glad everyone had a good time and learned a lot- instructors as well as students. I am very relieved Mark was able to retrieve his stick. I am sure there were some tense moments for him Sunday going through withdrawal without it. ;D Now he is properly equipped to attain SB status. Looking forward to seeing you all on the Appleseed Trail.

JeannetteDny

This was also my first AS and I had a ton more fun than I anticipated!  ^:)^ I learned so much and I will definitely be back to get my badge! Thank you to the instructors and the shoot boss for being so encouraging and passionate. Not only did I learn quite a few new skills but I learned quite a bit about our history as a country that I did not previously know. I will be bringing recruits with me next time.  ;D

Here are some pics I took:

R1SGx2

Hi All,
It is with great pleasure I was allowed back into the Great State of Vermont for another AS. In fact, today went back again to Hale Mountain Vt for some KD (well known AS Range).
Back to this shoot, thanx to Mrs. ShootBoss   :bow: for the pasta salad and lunches. Heard the salad is at every shoot at Proctor. After getting lost on way up  !@#) and losing my stick Sunday morning  &) and finding both  ^:)^ , I have to say I will be back for more salad and seeding.
Kate and Jeanette, sisters (I think twins) and notable Western Style Match Shooters were eager to learn and put the knowledge with skill building to work. Good job. Here's the 2011 shoots at Saraspa:
When: February 19th 2011  One day, indoor rimfire only event. Capacity 10
          April 16th-17th 2011
          September 17th-18th 2011
I think his name was Scott, a new shooter also, Monday after the shoot was heading to the Gulf, works on a rig. Built his score the whole time, I see a Rifleman Patch heading his way from the inventory.
Ralph and Alan, have the trail fever, I've seen both at several AS's, both gentleman and pleasure to work with, always seen with a smile. I think Alan tented in Massena NY this weekend with the heavy frost.
It was a Pleasure to work with all the shooters,  :~ :--- and to watch the smiles when they saw what they can do. Good Job...  ..:.. ..:..
GMB74, Buzzworth, Tim, Dakota30, Willi, and Sureshot - look in the dictionary for team work and you will see a group photo of these fine AS Instructors.
See all on the Trail.  &)
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Spartan

Wow!!!  Sounds like you guys had a great time,  and yes, Alan had an adventure in Massena...Heavy frost on the tents and ground cover, St Lawrence sea way, and a great time with great shooters.  Glad you found your stick Mark:))
"With your shield or on it"

Kate Cartwright

Regarding the Feb. 19th event in SaraSpa: is it too late to register and if not how would I go about doing that? I noticed the 2011 schedule isn't available yet.

R1SGx2

Kate,

Saraspa is not up yet, BUT here is Lake George next month:
We have a new date for Lake George at the Dunham's Bay F&G Club: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11626.0;topicseen.  Shooters - sign up now; and instructors - sign up for the last NY shoot before the AIBC!

November 20 / 21, 2010
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Kate Cartwright

Don't know if I can make that November one yet, but I've just signed Jenn and I up for the Feb SaraSpa and we're bringing Jenn's boyfriend as well. Trying to get mine to come too.  :)