News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Glen Helen, CA, 25-26 Sept 2010

Started by Rocket Man, September 27, 2010, 04:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

It's that time again, folks.  Appleseed time, at the West End Gun Club. 

We've been fortunate to have a pretty mild summer in Southern California.  All that changed this weekend.   %)  It was plenty warm, some news reports saying as high as 106 F out there today!  Luckily our tried and true Appleseed range is covered and has wonderful shady trees.  Only thing that would make them better is if they were Apple trees.   :))

Despite the punishing heat, eleven brave patriots joined us on the line early Saturday morning, seven guys and four gals, eight adults and three adults in training.  Three of our shooters were returning students, and our new shooters all eager to learn. 

Morning Redcoats showed potential but plenty of room for improvement.  Equipment gremlins were quickly found and corrected, and in no time at all shooters began whittling away at the size of their groups. 

My fellow SBIT asminuteman even appeared for Third Strike in full Colonial milita costume, complete from musket to straight shoes -- and I don't envy how warm it must have been in that getup -- but nothing makes history come alive like dressing the part.  Our younger shooters already knew a good piece of our history, and one young man had indeed heard of William Dawes.   O0  We have some smart kids in California, don't be fooled.

By the end of Saturday, everyone was starting to run out of gas, but our last redcoat still stood head and shoulders over the first attempt.  One shooter got the coveted Bonus Box.  Everyone retreated to rehydrate and reload...   :~

Sunday was even hotter, and we found ourselves down to a half dozen shooters, grimly determined to prove their mettle.  They turned and burned and got going on AQT's faster than any group I've seen in a while.  We mixed it up with cookies and RFAQT's, and a couple of emergency hydration breaks  $$-0 but they rose to the occasion.  Every one of them was shooting at least 150's by the end of the day.  First-timer Brian, and veteran 'Seeders Mark and Miner both finished in striking (or even strolling) distance of the coveted Rifleman Patch.  And, we had one young man who earned it.

It is my supreme pleasure to welcome returning Appleseeder Biscuit to the ranks of California Riflemen, after a no-nonsense 217 on an RFAQT.  And that's not even the best part.  He also joins us as our newest IIT!  ^:)^  I met this fine American in my first stint as an IIT, and it's only fitting that he now carries the Orange Hat given to me.  He does Civil War reenactment, he already can teach half of our material, and he's always helped us out without hesitation.  To Biscuit, well done. 

As it happens, he's leaving California very soon to seek fortune in the heartland.  He'll be a credit to Appleseed no matter which crew is lucky enough to have him.

We took a few pictures.  I'll post mine as soon as my camera cools enough to touch.   :))

Thanks again to everyone who made it so special.  Thanks also to my fellow instructors, who really spoiled me as an SBIT with fearless attitudes and peerless skills.  Laylopro makes it look easy, the rest of you just plain make it easy.  Couldn't ask for a better bunch of students or a better crew.

We all had a great weekend -- how about you?

- Rocket Man
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

NewMOe

And what an event it was,, it is always a pleasure to work with such motivated and dedicated Shooters, Yes it was hot, but not only did the sunday Shooters brave the heat Saturday but persisted
through Sunday as well, For that I thank all of You!!
James (Biscuit), has been with Appleseed for over two years, We met "on the mats" in Corona Ca,and He has been through everything from bad equipment to rough weather, (yes when it is nice, it is wonderful, but when it is bad it is nasty) and he prevailed. We look forward to spending as much Appleseed time as possible with Him before he is off, welcome abord and thank you for stepping up.
For those of you who did not acheive that coveted patch, do not despair you were close so close that with dry practice at home and a few trips to the range I am sure you will do it.
Again thank all of you for the opportunity to spend the weekend with such a motivated and commited group of Appleseeders.
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

NewMOe

A few more !!
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

Rocket Man

Here's a few more pictures.  I think some of my pictures melted!   :o

If anyone wants higher resolution versions, just send me a PM.

asminuteman presenting the Second Strike in full costume... and in the shade.  Lovely, lovely shade.

"With safeties on... Stand!"

What's this?  A Shoot Boss getting some trigger time and keeping his skills up to par??  SBIT asminuteman had things so under control, even Laylopro could relax a little.  :---

Another IIT joins the group.  In the back, from left to right:  NewMOe, Rocket Man, LayloPro, phoneprone, Biscuit, and 22CalGal.  In the front, left to right:  Demnogis, Justin, and asminuteman

Come on back and see us again!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Freeman

Freeman
n.
1. A person not in slavery or serfdom.
2. One who possesses the rights or privileges of a citizen.

"Liberty is not a means to a political end. It is itself the highest political end." – Lord Acton

Appleseed: The only program endorsed by the Founding Fathers and GSG9.

SavageShootr

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CONGRATULATIONS Biscuit!!! Thanks for grabbing a bucket!

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Mr22Calgal

Congrats to biscuit!!  I am truly sorry I wasn't there to see you make rifleman.  I'm certain you look good in orange!
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
- Charles Austin Beard

demnogis

Congrats Biscuit! Now he can ditch the French Foreign Legion hat  ;D :P

I was thoroughly impressed with how sharp our shooters were, Saturday and Sunday. I am always astonished to see first-time-EVER shooters go from buckshot groups to 8 MOA, in the span of 6 hours nonetheless.  It is unfortunate however that they could not return Sunday.

Sunday we really did have some "whooped cream" as they are called. The Instructor to Shooter ratio was 1:1 so everyone was able to spend the day polishing their skills.  I believe raw exhaustion is what afflicted everyone towards the day. When they come back to the next shoot, we aim to see that many more CA Riflemen!
Demnogis, Dem, Brando, B, Moe's son... Any of these work.

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

asminuteman

asminuteman

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations Biscuit and welcome aboard  O0
Nice shoot California  O0
Sorry to missed this fun event  :(
Looking forward to the next one  ;D
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Biscuit

Thank you all for helping  me get my mind to "Shut up at shoot".
I am extremely grateful that LLP lent me his Scoped LTR. :bow:
I just want to thank you to, 22calgal, Rocket Man, asminuteman, NewMoe, Demnogis, Justin, Bob210, Kool Aid, Socalserf, and  LayloPro for helping me get the Rilfeman's score. Even though at times it felt like you were being evil, and torturing me I knew that it was to all in good fun, or to help me.
I will miss seeing you guys at Appleseeds, and wish I could stay and be taught by outstanding individuals such as 22calgal, Rocket Man, asminuteman, NewMoe, Demnogis, and of course LayloPro. To anyone I forgot THANK YOU!

Now on to Missouri!!!!
MAN do I HATE some of my nicknames.

shot the score on Sept. 26th, 2010.
Started in 2008/09. Total events attend as a shooter: TOO MANY!!!!

James T.

judomayhem

Andrew here. A big thanks to all of the instructors who took their time to lead such an outstanding class. Your passion is contagious. I was a bit frustrated with my rifle but the handfull of issues will be gradually worked out as I gain more experience. Upgraded sights and modded magazines are easy enough to fix up, but the short length of pull on my 10/22 may have been an issue as well.
I hope to be able to do at least two of these a year, and eventually go to a Boot Camp.
God Bless,

A

Rocket Man

Hey Andrew, thanks for signing on to the boards.

There's always a little frustration...  after my first Appleseed I had to get new magazines, and I should have rethought my sling while I was at it.  It happens.  What's important is to persist, until we get through those annoyances.  Afterwards, things are great.   :---

You were doing just fine, especially considering you were using the infamous Ruger 10/22 stock sights.  Also it's pretty common to have to adjust length of pull -- I've had to do that to three of my rifles.  You can try it cheaply on your own with a chunk of styrofoam and some duct tape, then do some dry practice at home until you find the length that works.  After you've got that there are plenty of inexpensive aftermarket extenders, like Limbsaver, Uncle Mike's, etc.  Or you can even go nuts and get a whole new stock for the 10/22.  The beauty of the Ruger platform is the extremely large list of accessories out there.  On the other hand, you can just try something simple and cheap and homemade.  Whatever works.

Remember, if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.   ;D

Hope to see you at the next one!

NewMOe

judomayhem

Thanks NewMOe,

I have a couple of Williams sets still in the package somewhere, and tore the house apart trying to find them Friday night.  ++)
I will definately score a buttpad, thanks. I want to become thoroughly proficient with iron sights before going to a scope.

Biscuit

Andrew all I can say is PERSIST till you get the patch. At the next Appleseed your at ask how long it took for me (Biscuit) to get the patch. I think you will be surprised at how long it took me.  Also remember they are friendly people and just trying to help you.
MAN do I HATE some of my nicknames.

shot the score on Sept. 26th, 2010.
Started in 2008/09. Total events attend as a shooter: TOO MANY!!!!

James T.