News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Hartford, CT September 18/19 2010

Started by fprintf, September 20, 2010, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fprintf

SB- Todd (Cortjestir)
Redhat- Fred (vernic82)
IIT's- Stuart (fprintf), Glenn (glennz), Gordon (centerpunch)

Riflemen - 6

What a wonderful weekend to be outside enjoying the fantastic New England early-fall weather. Temps in the mid to upper 70s, low humidity, sunshine and lots of Riflemen! The Hartford Gun Club in East Granby, CT has a history of producing the most riflemen locally and it did not disappoint this time around.

Some highlights:

• All 3 strikes on day one was perfect, no issues of boredom or rushing of the content. Just right and super interesting! Very nicely done Vernic82 and CortJestir.
  • Marlin 795s are all over the place. It was far and away the most popular rifle on the line.
  • The Moisin-Nagant brought from our Ft. Worth visitor makes a Texas sized bang. Fun! It also dug a decent hole into the berm.
  • The term "Rifleman persists" applies to everyone. There was so much improvement even for those who did not shoot a 210.
  • The Hartford Gun Club has great hospitality. Not only did they close their only rifle range for us, but they cheerfully supplied ice cold water to keep us hydrated.

More details to come from the other instructors. Lesson learned here among the many - pay attention to the details in case you get asked to start the AAR off!   :-[  Pictures coming too, I am sure...
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

CortJestir

Thanks a bunch for starting this, fprintf.

Indeed, Hartford Gun Club does it again! Bringing out some of the best students in CT to the firing line. 17 shooters over the weekend produced 6 Riflemen. 4 of them on the very first or second AQT on Day 1.  O0 All made improvements in group size and we had at least 2 who left with scores in the 190s. Most importantly though, everyone left with a greater appreciation and knowledge of that fateful day in 1775.  8)

Slogging through the hottest summer on record in CT, we couldn't have asked for more perfect weather this weekend. In the mid-70's both days with just a slight touch of humidity. Nice cool breezes here and there. Leaves just beginning to turn with the prospect of a spectacular New England autumn.

A recap of events:

Day 1 started with the Safety Briefing, of course. Followed by a red coat and then building a solid prone position and some sling usage. We proceeded with the 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors, NPOA, talking targets and IMC - all before lunch. During grub, vernic82 told the First Strike and then we started the afternoon with a few more sighter groups. Some Ball and Dummy gave a taste of the instructor life to our students and solidified these newly learned skills. After that, we went into standing and sitting positions and safe transitions. We took a shooting break to tell the Second Strike. We managed to shoot a few AQTs in the late afternoon and ended the day with a red coat, the Third Strike and a healthy reminder to stretch and take many milligrams of Ibuprofen. fprintf did a masterful job controlling and calling the line. I'm also glad to report that Centerpunch, the man who helped start it all in CT, has come back and gotten back into the swing of things.  O0 Thoroughly exhausted, we all went home dog tired but feeling good (as it truthfully says on the back of our Appleseed T-shirts).

Day 2 - another safety briefing and DOM before we could get any lead down range. We then spent the better part of the morning recapping the fundamentals learned on Day 1. We then worked on honing skills learned the previous day with specific exercises for addressing NPOA and the ever-present happy trigger finger. During lunch, the Hats got us set up for 100-yard known distance and we taught KD during lunch and then shot KD afterward. The rest of the afternoon, we got into the AQT grind, broken up with a Mad Minute challenge. glennz, one of CT's newest volunteers, stepped up to try calling the line and what a great job he did first time out!

Some highlights:

My man Dan W., from Texas and in CT for a work gig. One of our most improved shooters, shooting a Mosin Nagant and a .22 loaner. It was a pleasure watching your groups shrink and your NPOA shifts getting better and better.

And who can forget Lydia G's persistence? Also a nominee for most improved over the weekend. Ended up with a high in the 190's. She asked me for a Purple Madame Yotnottin patch for inspiration as she stuck out the AQT grind. She propped it up in front of her during the Grind. Don't worry, Lydia. It will be yours soon enough. Besides, you need to beat your hubby's 238.  :)

Speaking of Dan G., not only did he blow the AQT out of the water but he did it again and scored another 238. Man, I envy your skill, Dan!  ;)

Don and Laura, thanks for coming to another 'Seed and congrats, Don, on your patch as well!  O0

The same goes for Sean J. (213), Vin S. (210), Dom Z. (212), and Chris M. (224) on your Rifleman patches. Well earned, all of you!

Along with Lydia, Pete N. was coming awfully close in the 190s as well. And thanks for your interest in volunteering, Pete. Let's talk about it when I see you at your next Appleseed. We sure could use your help. :)

Special thanks always go to Tom D. of the Hartford Gun Club. Looking forward to our next shoot on November 20-21 and also setting our schedule for 2011 at the HGC.  :D

All in all, a perfect weekend for Appleseed with a great instructor crew and some fine Americans sharing the line. Well done, everyone!

Pics soon...

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

vernic82

Guys, you said it all!

But 4 Riflemen on the 1st AQT of the weekend, THAT inspired me the most and truly makes me know that New Englanders "know what they are about".

Congrats to all, students and Instructors alike, I could not have asked to be in the company of finer individuals.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

SR9

Many, many thanks to all of the staff at the Appleseed shoot in Hartford. I am greatfull to all those that volunteer for this great organization. I can only imagine the time and effort all of you put in to make such a rewarding program for the participants.....and I do know a little about volunteering since Thursday will be my 30Th anniversary with my home town Volunteer FD.

Dan G. you are a great shooter! If you ever move to CT I can use you on my .22 bulls eye team. Who ever was shooting that Mosin I loved hearing the boom and watching the dirt fly, reminds me of my Hakim!

I am anxious to see the pictures since I was the one who got wet....what a neat tradition.

Keep up the good work! Hope to see all of you again soon!

CortJestir

Thanks for the kind words, SR9. Glad you could make it and hope to see you at Wallingford, Hartford (again), or Colebrook this year!

Quote from: SR9 on September 21, 2010, 01:32:25 PM
I am anxious to see the pictures since I was the one who got wet....what a neat tradition.

Some photos I just DL'd from my camera. If anyone has others to share, feel free.

Also, if anyone wants hi-rez versions, just PM me.

Firing Line

More Firing Line

And More Firing Line

Rifleman Don M.

Rifleman Dan G.

Rifleman Sean J. (Gizmo)

Rifleman Vin S. (SR9) with a score of 210 on the nose and a douse of water from under the Old North Bridge

fprintf asks "You takin' a photo of me, punk?!?"  ;D

Rifleman Dom Z.

Rifleman Chris M.

vernic82 getting some trigger time with glennz's Kel-Tec 9mm carbine

dcmdon

Thank you all.   This is Don of Don and Laura.  We had a great time.  While laura missed making it by 5 points with a 205, we'll be back in Oct or Nov so she can take home a patch. 

Thanks again.  I'm thrilled with my 226, especially since I was down 2 shots with misfeeds.  Wife says she's going to kick my ass next time. 

Don

DanT

Quote from: SR9 on September 21, 2010, 01:32:25 PM
Who ever was shooting that Mosin I loved hearing the boom and watching the dirt fly, reminds me of my Hakim!

As the Mosin shooter all I can say is "Thank Goodness for electronic ear muffs!"  Many thanks also for the entire crew ... each one of them had a hand in helping me improve, as did many of the participants.  This was a thoroughly enjoyable experience even if it did beat me up a bit (I mighta' needed that...).  I've already reserved a spot on the line in November and will have a brand new rifle (again), but this time a .22 instead of 7.62xWayTooBig.

See y'all there!!

CortJestir

Nice to hear from you, dcmdon and DanT. Thanks for stopping by.

Oh man, how could I forget Laura! So close. The next one she would have nailed for sure.

I also forgot to mention and thank Chris M. for driving all the way down from Albany, NY to attend this shoot. Chris, if you're reading this, did I hear you were interested in helping out in NY? If so, you'll want to contact (via Private Message) B9 on our forums here. Or you can email him at ny@appleseedinfo.org - he'll get you started with volunteering in NY.

CJ

Faith452

Hey everyone! It's Lydia G.

It's official...I'm out of the kitchen!! I had an incredible time this past weekend! CortJestir, Vernic, fprintf, and everyone else did an incredible job. I can't tell you how much I appreciated all the great advice. I walked in there on Saturday thinking that I had somewhat of an idea of what I was doing....wow...I was so very wrong. All of the skills and techniques that we were taught is truly the only way to shoot. Dan still tells me how proud he is of my improvement and shhhh..I think he's going to buy me another rifle.  ^:)^

I've already signed up for the 31st and until them I will be practicing every night...well when my "battle wounds" heal then I'll be able to practice prone again. My knee is so bruised up it's unreal...didn't even notice it while I was shooting.. Although I did notice when the spent casings landed on my arm...nothing like feel that sting and not being able to move. There are four perfect .22 casing marks on my left arm. Would save the trip to the tattoo parlor if they stuck around for a while but I'm sure they will heal faster than I want them to.

Next month is going to be a blast! Dan is setting up one of his rifles for me so that I can get my rifleman on a semi instead of my 452. After I do really well and get my trigger finger down then I will go after a 210 with my bolt action.

Next year I will bring as many friends as I can muster up. Maybe by then I'll be wearing an orange hat  ;)

CortJestir- Thank you for letting me use your rifle.

fprintf - Thanks for the ammo...I'll bring you a box on the 31st.

Vernic - History has never been something of interest to me, but the way that you told the first strike made me want to sit through a whole semester of classes on American history. I have a new appreciation for where this country came from and why. Well done.

Squeeeeeeze the trigger!
Former Cook

Woodsman

Finding so much high praise on the forums, I came to my first Appleseed in Hartford with very high expectations. Those high expectations were exceeded.

Todd and wing man Fred, Stu, Glenn and Gordon, you guys ran an event which epitomized everything I expected Appleseed to be. You instructed with patience (so much patience, a special thanks to Fred), dedication, humor, and humility. I second Dan T's "each one of them had a hand in helping me improve". Through two long and tiring days, your energy and desire to serve never flagged. You guys are all awesome practitioners, as well as model ambassadors for the program at large.

In the interest of balance, I've tried to come up with some constructive criticism.  I'm honestly coming up dry.

A couple of thoughts... we should spot Dan G. a few points for shooting in the shadow of Dan T's Mosin.

Todd, it occurred to me that sleeping in the prone shooting position might be contributing to any back discomfort.   ;)

Thanks again Guys...

Chris

CortJestir

I think I can safely speak for our CT crew when I say we're humbled by everyone's comments. They mean a great deal to us. Thanks for posting your thoughts, everyone. :) Can't wait to share the line with all of you fine folks again and soon.

Quote from: Woodsman on September 21, 2010, 07:47:23 PM
Todd, it occurred to me that sleeping in the prone shooting position might be contributing to any back discomfort.   ;)

**) **) You just may be on to something, Chris!

And no, I'm not giving Dan G. any more points for shooting next to Daniel W's Mosin. The next time Dan G. is on the line, I'm putting him in between two M44s.  ;D

Faith452

Dan says he was deaf after the first hour so he didn't notice the Mosin.....I'm calling b.s. Stick him between the M44's! I'd bet he can still do a 238
Former Cook

CortJestir

Quote from: Faith452 on September 21, 2010, 08:56:11 PM
Stick him between the M44's! I'd bet he can still do a 238

I bet you're right. He'll probably do better.  :)

gizmo

This was truly a great time. Learned a bunch and met some great folks from all over. Also got to spend quality time listening to that Mosin! That's an attention-getter, DanT! I haven't had that much fun in a long time. My bride and kids loved the story of Samuel Widemore... in fact, my daughter told it to her 7th grade history teacher on Monday. He hadn't heard it before. I think she'll be joining me at a future Appleseed shoot.

Thanks to Todd, Stuart, Glenn, George and Fred. I appreciate very much all your help getting me to shoot better and keeping it all safe and fun. Special thanks again to Stuart for the loan of the magazine and the ammo.

gizmo

Quote from: gizmo on September 21, 2010, 10:31:02 PM
This was truly a great time. Learned a bunch and met some great folks from all over. Also got to spend quality time listening to that Mosin! That's an attention-getter, DanT! I haven't had that much fun in a long time. My bride and kids loved the story of Samuel Widemore... in fact, my daughter told it to her 7th grade history teacher on Monday. He hadn't heard it before. I think she'll be joining me at a future Appleseed shoot.

Thanks to Todd, Stuart, Glenn, George and Fred. I appreciate very much all your help getting me to shoot better and keeping it all safe and fun. Special thanks again to Stuart for the loan of the magazine and the ammo.

George = Gordon, sorry about that.

dcmdon

The great thing about electronic muffs is that you can double up, ear plugs and muffs, and still hear range commands. 

I do that when I shoot my 10.5" AR.  You don't know loud until you shoot a SBR with a muzzle brake on it.  Very antisocial. 
I had 2 sets of them just in case Laura and I were squadded next to someone like that.  Laura was paired with a guy with an M1A doing the ball and dummy drill at the
Chaplin CT shoot in the summer.  She said it was quite an experience.  When I told her I had an M1A she smiled and asked why I didn't use that.  When I told her about the $400 in ammo it would cost to feed it for a day, she agreed a 10/22 was fine. 

By the way.  Not to brag, but I've either brought or influenced a total of 6 people to go to an appleseed.  And here's the best part.  4 of them had no shooting experience before attending.  This is great stuff folks, talk it up.

Don

dcmdon

Re constructive criticism. 

It would be great if rather than always going over the 3 strikes of the match, some other history was included.  I say this because after my first appleseed I was motivated to go out and read Paul Revere's Ride.  Then I heard the same stories at my 2nd Appleseed.  By my 3rd, I was itching for something new. 

The 3 strikes are great, but as more and more of your events are attended by alumni (its addictive), it would be good if some other stories related to the start of the Revolutionary War could be taught. 

Don

ItsanSKS

Todd-

Sounds like you all had a great event up there in Hartford!  Going to be needing any help this winter?  Got a few airline miles I could redeem, and coming back up to CT to see everyone again would be outstanding... 

Don-

There is much, much more history revolving around April 19th, 1775 than we have time to teach at an Appleseed event.  Time is truly the limiting factor.  While some of our attendees may be 'repeat offenders', typically 60% or more are there for the first time, and should hear the 'Three Strikes'.  While I don't want to speak for the Shoot Boss of your next event, I am 99.99% certain that if you volunteered to do a history presentation on Sunday, incorporating some of the other fascinating stories of early 1775, you would be most welcome to do so, and I'm sure that the instructors and your fellow attendees would be most appreciative as well. 

There is a book, now available in electronic format, that I highly suggest; it is called "The American Revolution" by John Fiske.  Two volume set, first printed in the late 1800's.  Author was a Harvard professor, and renowned historian.  It has been reprinted, and the two-volume set can be purchased for $35-60.  Google books has made the original available for free, in .pdf format.  If you would like a copy of the .pdf, send me your email address in a PM, and I'll email it to you. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

vernic82

Thanks to all for the kind words, as CJ says, they DO mean much to all of us! O0
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

CortJestir

Quote from: dcmdon on September 22, 2010, 12:35:45 AM
By the way.  Not to brag, but I've either brought or influenced a total of 6 people to go to an appleseed.  And here's the best part.  4 of them had no shooting experience before attending.  This is great stuff folks, talk it up.

O0 :bow:

And thanks for the recommendation, Don. I think 'SKS covered it well.

3rd seed, eh? Orange is the new Black I hear. It goes with everything. I have some head apparel that would look great on you.  ;)

The Log

OK, thanks for making me really REALLY unhappy that I missed this shoot   :wb:

Wish I could have been there, but family duty sometimes has to come first. But in my favor, I was getting ready for a trip to Boston which included a stop at Battle Road (again). What can you say about a picnic lunch on a rock just across the road from where Josiah Nelson shed the first blood of the Revolution?

I'll be at BTR and the rest of the CT shoots this year, but it sounds like they'll all have a hard time living up to the expectations set by this shoot. Four Riflemen the first day - so jealous. Well done, Connecticut men and women!
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

SR9

Quote from: dcmdon on September 22, 2010, 12:35:45 AM
The great thing about electronic muffs is that you can double up, ear plugs and muffs, and still hear range commands. 

I do that when I shoot my 10.5" AR.  You don't know loud until you shoot a SBR with a muzzle brake on it.  Very antisocial. 
I had 2 sets of them just in case Laura and I were squadded next to someone like that.  Laura was paired with a guy with an M1A doing the ball and dummy drill at the
Chaplin CT shoot in the summer.  She said it was quite an experience.  When I told her I had an M1A she smiled and asked why I didn't use that.  When I told her about the $400 in ammo it would cost to feed it for a day, she agreed a 10/22 was fine. 

Don

I think you need to be in a port next to me when I shoot my Hakim to compare loud!  ;)