News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento CA, Oct. 17-18 AAR

Started by BaldDragn, October 19, 2009, 12:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

How do you make an Appleseed better?

Bring your family!!

This was my most favorite Appleseed ever. It seemed like every body had picked this weekend, and our Appleseed, to spend time with their loved ones, friends, and family.

Nukechaser showed up with a whole gaggle of folks and Brandon was the first of his tribe to earn a patch with a 225 using a bullpup Walther G22. Kati (17) rocked everybody with a 210 on Sunday afternoon (Jules did the honors of applying the traditional water bath), not to be outdone, Perry followed up at the end of the day with a 214.

Vince W. brought his daughter with him to witness his triumph over the AQT. Like Kati, Vince also scored a 210 AND a drenching from Jules. I've been watching Vince shoot since April when he walked onto the range with the help of two canes, and I've had the honor to witness Vince overcome more difficulty on his way to Rifleman than most of us will face in our lifetimes. He is the embodiment of perseverance, overcoming, and adapting that are the hallmark of a true Rifleman!

I was lucky enough to have my wife and two of our sons there and Graham (like the cracker) racked up a 216 using Eaglescouters 10/22.

John P. had led the way to Rifleman this weekend during the first AQT on Saturday, followed shortly by Richard who scored a 220 on the second AQT Saturday and also had a 210 on Sunday.

Returning riflemen couple Mike (Polygunner) and Lisa each topped 210 again with Mike setting the high mark for Sacramento at 246.

Jerome had his son and daughter there to see him top 210 again also.

Our Sacramento crew of instructors have also become more like family. James E dropped everything to come and run a second line for me on Saturday, I can't thank him enough. Eaglescouter and NorCal22Gal now have standing reservations in the spare room, it's not going to be the same running the next Sac shoot without them and James but they will have their hands full with their own shoot up in Red Bluff that weekend. Roos5150 has make himself right at home, he ran the grill last night for our instructors dinner. He's almost as good a BBQ master as CamlJr, and that's quite a compliment, as many a CA instructor will tell you. M106shooter never gets to spend as much time here as we would like, so one day, when he has his own Appleseed, we'll go camp at his place. And now that we have had a chance to meet Nukechaser's family we are looking forward to seeing more of them.

So we picked up 7 new Riflemen this weekend, spent time with our friends and family, shared our heritage and hopes and dreams for the future.

If anybody knows how to have a better weekend than that... sign me up!
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

eaglescouter

Great people, great food, great weather, and all on a rifle range.  Add an Appleseed and it simply cannot get any better.  Thank you to all the participants for their efforts and attention, thank you to all the instructors who make these events possible.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

NorCal22Gal

Sac as always great!!  This one was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!  A group of attentive shooters, who by the end of Sunday showed great improvement and great spirits.  This group was one big group of RIFLEMEN AND RIFLEWOMEN....even if they didn't all get the score and the patch...in their hearts and minds the rifleman is there....  To those that got the score big congrats.

I don't think i've ever seen so many families together....fathers and sons/daughters even grand dads and grand sons....

JamesE great job, see ya in December. M106shooter....GREAT job instructing Saturday. you were awesome.  Roos, Nukechaser, awesome job also......

I know EagleScouter and I will miss being there in December to see the next great group...but we are working on building our own great group.

BaldDragn & Jules...thanks for the Guest Suite at the Dragon's Lair...Roos...wonderful Tri Tip...

See ya all on the trail.

NorCal22Gal

LayloPro

Congrats, all!! Wonderful AAR....lot's of good stuff, and reasons to celebrate...... O0 O0

Good times when the family is involved, no doubt! I couldn't have said it better myself...... **) @)

So, BD, how is that green hat feeling about now? 'Bout the right fit?? <:)  ;)

You guys are rocking the north side, keep up the promotions & great work!! We are proud of you all from down here in the Southland..... O0 O0 O0

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

M1shooter

Now That is why I became an IIT. What a great weekend, 7 riflemen and riflewomen, a 246 score, and my first opportunity to do some actual instructing. After I got the jitters out on sat instructing the SHF and 6 steps, I just relaxed and instructing really just came naturally. Eaglescouter, BD, and Roos5150, thanks for keeping me on task w/ RSO and LSO duties, and I am chompin at the bit for the next appleseed.
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson
Aim small, Miss small

Roos5150

I don't think that I could say anything better than anyone has said already.  I always enjoy the accommodations and the people you meet at the Dragon's Lair.  On day one the wonderful bunch of apple seeders where getting a little frustrated, but with a little more coaching from all the great instructor we had on the line things started to turn around.  The start of day 2 we combined all shooter to the big range and combined the efforts of all instructors and those apple seeders started cranking through AQT at such a pace that they did not even want to stop for a bathroom break, talk about persistence and dedication to get the job done.

Only thing to add to BD's post is the fact that he forgot about Richard who shot a 220 on sat. then fallowed it up with a 210 on sun. and don't forget he did it with a tube feed.

Thanks for the compliment BD, next time it will be better now hat I know your grill.  You see a true griller uses charcoal and that's the way I have been doing it for years.  So in dec. we should have some dam god rib eyes that will come off that grill. Thanks again for the hospitality it is always a pleasure staying at the Dragon's Lair.

Thanks,
Roos5150

James E

It's always great to be Appleseeding!  I look forward to Saturday morning, greeting veteran Appleseeders and asking them who they brought, and meeting new Appleseeders.

Congratulations to John P., a retired Marine who shot a 215 on his first AQT, and Richard who shot a 220 on his second AQT with a tube fed semi-auto.  Our own Jules (BD's bride) shot her personal best of 187.  We saw lots of improvement from our shooters, and they were given the tools they need to make their continued perseverance pay off.

John P. receiving his Rifleman patch from me:

A proud Rifleman!

Richard, 220 on his second AQT:

NorCal22Gal

Sorry to correct you JamesE.....Jules shot a 191 on Sunday ;D....she now has a new personal best....

NorCal22Gal

nukechaser

Wow!

Where do I start? 
On top of what everyone else has said, I had the unique opportunity this weekend at the Sacramento Appleseed to wear the labels of:

- buddy
- friend
- dad
- son
- nukechaser
- Pat
- instructor in training

... all at the same time! 

I'll also proudly declare the label of student, because BaldDragn, NorCal22Gal, EagleScouter, Roos5150, M106Shooter and James always make it look easy (and I know it always isn't) and I can't help but slip into the role of student when they are such great examples. I always come away in awe of what I learn from such fine specimens of an Appleseed crew. You guys are the best!

I cannot express the "button-busting" pride seeing so many new Riflemen, and three of them I've known since they were knee high to a buttstock. I know my son made great improvements and is still eager to return again in December (with gramma too, perhaps?) and is chomping at the bit to earn his patch.

I know we had some seasoned citzens out there, I wonder what our age-spread was? In my gaggle we had my dad (70) and my son (15) But I wonder if Amanda and Randy were our lower and upper extremes? Anyone know?

Now, where did I put my study notes for the lunch-time history?  Gotta get my rear-in-gear before December so I can share the history-telling.  &)

Dude, have you ever even read the Constitution? Yeah, didn't think so... Read it and you'll see why I'm pissed off!

NorCal22Gal

Oh by the way BD....that was not Eaglescouters 10/22 that Graham got his Rifleman with......... ;D  it was mine.......came from the same family though...glad it worked well for him.

NorCal22Gal

BaldDragn

Quote from: LayloPro on October 19, 2009, 02:52:29 AM
Congrats, all!! Wonderful AAR....lot's of good stuff, and reasons to celebrate...... O0 O0

Good times when the family is involved, no doubt! I couldn't have said it better myself...... **) @)

So, BD, how is that green hat feeling about now? 'Bout the right fit?? <:)  ;)

You guys are rocking the north side, keep up the promotions & great work!! We are proud of you all from down here in the Southland..... O0 O0 O0

LLP

I didn't want to bring it up at first, but there was one thing missing this weekend, the people we owe so much to.

V and CamlJr most of all. They took ownership of Sacramento and made sure we had what we needed. You guys could have driven across the United States and back with all the time you spent traveling back and forth for us.

Bob 210, Laylowpro, Savage Shooter, Funfaler, Wade, Rock-chucker, F-stop, MrBill, DesertDog, Francis Marion, WW2 P51, Romeos_Hero, Double D, and Aleeta all have played a large part in getting Sac up on it's feet, we thank you all.

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

NorCal22Gal

I agree....You guys were missed :-\.

THANKS!!!!  Come back sometime.... ;D

NorCal22Gal

LayloPro

BD,

in all the phone calls & PM's we've shared over the last several months, I thought I was pretty clear about one thing overall.....We (as in the SoCal bunch) took all that time & effort with the Northern contingent for a very specific reason.......

You -all- are worth it!!

Nobody was wasting time or gas in going up there!!

Look at what Sac, by itself, has been able to bring about??!!?

I'd say there have been some pretty good numbers there so far, & we certainly know it isn't the end of it, either.... :))

You guys have stepped up in an area that may not be all that "gun friendly", and done some serious Appleseeding....from the ranges, to the gun shows, the friends & family......that's all that was ever asked of you....and you guys made it happen bigtime....proving not only to yourselves, but to everyone else, that you all could "get it done"..... :~ ;)

Now, you get to expand out your selves.....you know how to do it.....just a matter of gathering the forces, and getting it done.....and we know you know how..... O0 <:) O0

We're just sittin' here, a-watchin' & a-grinnin'......... @)

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Jules

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on October 19, 2009, 04:17:41 PM
Sorry to correct you JamesE.....Jules shot a 191 on Sunday ;D....she now has a new personal best....

NorCal22Gal

This shoot is the first that I shot AND hosted. I am pleased to say I had no equipment failure or heat stroke this time. I still, and will always, have the physical handicap of an unseen autoimmune disorder. But Vince has been an unbelievable source of inspiration to me.

Yes, S Cal Clan was missed. And yet, I am so proud of our N Cal group. The weekend was flawless, at least from a shooter's perspective. A Riflewoman perseveres, and I continue to strive for the 210, so I can get about the business of joining my N Cal Clan running the line.

My heartfelt thanks to all the instructors this last weekend. They arrive with positive energy, ideas to make the history captivating, laughter, and let's not forget the food! We aquired a gently used Wells Cargo trailer Monday, and will be packed up and ready for the Fresno shoot Oct.31-Nov.1

Jules

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

BaldDragn

The rest of the pictures from Sunday. If you score 210 in Sacramento... watch out for Jules.

SAPPER STEEL!

NorCal22Gal

So if Jules gets 210...do we get to douse her????  ;D  Great pic BD....Thanks again for a great shoot.

NorCal22Gal

polygunner

I'd say we're obligated to. Someones got to cary on the tradition and I doubt she'll dowse herself. Or would she?
Another great Sac. shoot, thanks to all the instructors for their selfless contribution of their time.
See you all soon.
pg