News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

South Huntsville, AL (HISR) September 26-27, 2020 AAR

Started by Google, September 28, 2020, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

We had another fantastic weekend of Appleseeding at Hobbs Island Shooting Range in South Huntsville, AL.  The range owner, Don Eiermann, is an ardent supporter of Appleseed and always makes it easy for us to spread the brushfires of Liberty.   :F

Saturday morning was overcast but that didn't dampen the spirit of the shooters.  After introductions, McAlligator set the tone of the day with the First Strike and we moved to the firing line.  The day started with a Red Coat target then we turned on the fire hose of instruction and the shooters soaked up everything they were told.  Shot groups started off small and only improved throughout the day.  Savage22 shared the Second Strike over lunch and we resumed instruction with IMC and continued drills at the firing line.  By the end of the day we had managed to complete 2 AQTs as well as the Third Strike and left the range tired but with many smiles.

On Sunday morning we took advantage of having the long range all to ourselves.  After the review of Saturday's instruction, we learned about Known Distance shooting and put it into practice at 100 yards.  The shooters were able to use their knowledge of IMC to bring their shot groups onto the center of the target and demonstrate that what we teach really works beyond 25m.  O0

The shooters on Sunday were determined to improve their skills and earn that Rifleman patch.  They listened intently to the coaching and after the first AQT we found two new Riflemen  ^:)^ ^:)^  Kristin and Phillip both scored 210 and were refreshed with water from the North Bridge.  Kristin accomplished it with a bolt gun at her second Appleseed and Phillip used a loaner to patch out at his first event.  Congratulations are definitely in order for these two!  :beer:

Thanks to everyone that joined us this weekend. We hope to see all of you back at another event.  Remember, a Rifleman persists!

Walking to our bay

Mixed Metaphor padding a shooter's stock

Coaching during dryfire

Savage22 may have just moved here from FL, but he already fits right in

A little break for some fun.

The "Before" pic

And "After." 

Two new Riflemen... both baptized with water from the North Bridge!

Rustygun

Looks like a large time was had by all. Congrats to the new Riflemen esp Kristin with a bolt gun. Pretty fancy shooting!

Savage22

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

Movingshrub

Thank you to all of the instructors that made this event occur. This was my first Appleseed event and I had a great time.

Thank you to Mixed Metaphor for letting me use his shooting mat on Saturday so I could get out of the water.

Thank you to KPUC for loaning me a rifle for the weekend and the shooting mat on Sunday.

Thank you Google and Maximum Ordinate for the focused instruction on Sunday afternoon. The additional time spent on both standing and seated positions was a game changer for me. Also, I really enjoyed the IMC instruction. I had been wanting to learn that concept for a while and was glad to be able to both talk through it and then apply it.

Lastly, shooting the M1 was a special treat. I'm glad you all brought that out to the firing line.

-Phillip