News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Ladyseeed in Ramah, CO Sept 25-26

Started by kentuckyjam, September 25, 2010, 08:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyjam

The range is up, we've had a good night's sleep and the weather is superb.  High in upper 70's today, possibly reaching 80.  We are expecting 17 women who will experience heritage and marksmanship lady style.

Pictures to follow...
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Mogget

And speaking of pictures, here's a bit of a collision of eras just to make you choke on that Saturday AM coffee.  It's K-ENTUCK-Y JAM[MED] working on her paperwork earlier (way earlier, let me tell you!) this AM;

Many thanks to the folks who put the range together yesterday.  Bluefeather, KYJam[med] and I had a great time last night.  Also pleased to meet TaosGlock and LongRifle.

Mostly, though, looking forward to meeting our twenty or so shooters!

Mogs

TruTenacity

Now that is a picture to wake up to!  Thanks for posting Mogget.  Looking forward to more reports and pictures.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

RifleWoman

We had a great day today!  Old RifleWoman hasn't lost the touch.   ^-^  I was really worried at first since it's been such a long time since I've shot, but the instructors are fantastic.  It seems like they get better and better all the time.  Each new group seems to be better than the last and the old improve all the time.  here are a few pics of the day. 
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

RifleWoman

Well, it's over it was wonderful!!  RifleWoman is still a Rifleman and I'm quite relieved to know that.  I was quite worried that I'd become rusty for lack of practice but I ended up shooting better  than I'd ever done before.  Of course, some of the positions are more painful than they used to be, but with only women there I could un-button my pants for sitting position.  Hey a true Rifleman does what it takes  ;)

I had a few evil black rifle malfunctions, but Mogs field stripped my baby, we cleaned it up and got it working again.  

Mogs decided I (actually my rifle) was too loud and banned me to the other side of the sound proof barrels but it made it hard to hear them.  Of course most of us women have a tendency to speak to quietly anyway.   But the first appleseed we went to (Wyoming years ago), NOBODY had a .22LR, it was all AR's, AK's, M15's, Garand's, etc, 50 people on a line, packed butt to butt, brass flying everywhere.   Guess we've all gotten soft.   ~~:)

All in all it was a great weekend.

I'd never worked with these fine instructors before and to be honest, this was the best Appleseed I've ever attended.  All the women were eager to learn and learn they did.  

It's the first time I've heard many of the History stories told and those were great.   Everybody had their unique style, KYJam dressed that part and told them in 1st person.  Mogs added a heavy dose of wake-up humor, BlueFeather was to the point and hit with reality hard with the actual reality of what happened on 4-19-1775.  The IIT's had their typical lack of confidence but that will go away soon since they did very good and it just gets better.

The new LadySeed T-shirts were a HUGE hit!  Most people wanted more of them.  

I met so many wonderful people this weekend.  What a great bunch of shooters.  They could all be great instructors and hope they have the desire.

All AS Instructors should take the time to attend and participate as a student at an Appleseed again.  I found it to be very rejuvenating.

Evenstar

Great picture of kyjam. **)

Glad to hear that the shoot went off well! O0 O0 O0
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Cora_Munro

I agree with Riflewoman, this was the best AS I've ever been to.  It was relaxed, and I enjoyed hearing laughter instead of swearing whenever the shooters and instructors went to check their targets! It was most gratifying to see women who had never shot before, end up with tight groups by the end of the weekend.

The Red Hats gave beautiful history presentations and helped set a standard for my own history.   :bow: They showed heart, depth, accuracy and most importantly, related it well to the ladies. I was watching the faces of the shooters, and as tears were wiped away at times, you also saw mouths hanging open in shock, eyes wide open, and even the young ones were listening and engaged in the lessons.  

We had three Riflewomen this weekend  :D, including Riflewoman's re-scoring (an amazing score btw, good for you!) with her .223... and yes it was loud, but it was nice to only have one loud rifle instead of 7 or 8 on the line. The other two ladies - Kim (One Shot One Hole's wife, I believe) and young 13 year old Hannah both got their patches. The best parts: Kim took up an orange hat after I left (Mogget and I went to the airport where she departed and went back home to cheeseland), and Hannah, at 13 got her patch with a bolt-action rifle. Both of those ladies had many difficulties to overcome, but at the Ladyseed they were safe, secure, and didn't feel the pressure to achieve, which I think gave them the freedom to grow at their own paces.  8)

For a group of instructors, who have never worked together at an AS (maybe Trigger Hippie and Bluefeather did, not sure), we rocked it. Thank you ladies for boosting my morale and confidence in AS...I think I may have needed it!  I hope to see each and every one of you again on the trail.  ^:)^

For all you shooters who came out this weekend, you were absolutely a joy to work with.  You listened well, you kept it light and didn't stress out, and more importantly I watched each and every one of you grow both as women and as shooters. You are the reason why we do this, so thank you.  ;D

kentuckyjam

What students we had!!  These ladies were outstanding, with teachable attitudes and enthusiasm from the beginning.  I've never seen students so hungry.  You soaked up everything, instruction and history.  It's students like you that make this the best 'job' around.

Congrats to the 3 Riflewomen.  Hannah, I enjoyed cooling you off in honor of your 210.  You earned it.  Kim, it was obvious you would get your patch and welcome to the instructor core.  O0  RW, so glad to finally meet the mysterious woman who helped me out way back at my first seed.  Nice 224!!

The instructors were great to work with.  I can't say thank you enough for your hard work and dedication.  And thank you for making me a better instructor.  Mogs, I know you will be greatly disappointed, the video of your dancing didn't come out.  You were lucky this time.

And only one mention of my Kentucky accent.   $$-0

Yesterday afternoon I asked what each of your stories will be after this Appleseed.  As for me, Sunday night I had the pleasure of staying at Cora_Munro's.  I walked in to a room with a soothing aromatic candle, a manicure kit, and bath towels.  But more than that, we had some wonderful getting-to-know-you time instructors don't always get.  Cora, I cannot thank you enough...

On the plane back today, I overheard a lady say she had just told her husband goodbye as he deployed.  I thought to myself, here's another Hanna.  There were several women talking and she mentioned she had to go to someplace called Richmond.  I asked if she needed a ride, I go through there on my home.  She looked at me and the tears started streaming.  She asked if I was sure.  And I said I'd be honored.  I got to tell her about Appleseed, so Georgia and Texas be expecting her.  We exchanged numbers and email addresses.  You never know what Appleseed will bring to your life and through you, what it will bring to others. 

Thank you, ladies!

Pics from New Mexico will be coming in another day or so. 

Mom2Sarah

What a great weekend!  THREE Riflewomen this weekend!  ^:)^

It was a real pleasure to see all the instructors (who met friday) come together, be effective, safe, and appear as though this was something we all did together often  :)  It was great to have some many instructors come here from all over to help out.  O0

A special thanks to some of the guys who helped (Alan, Jim, Shane, Rich and Dan) behind the scenes to get everything ready. 

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

BlueFeather

OK, lets have some fun here!

Colorado's first Ladyseed was held at the Ben Loman Range in Ramah, Colorado.

This is a beautiful unspoiled part of Colorado that is on nearly a square mile of land far from the madding crowd.
These rolling hills were once home to the huge buffalo herds and various bands of Americans, including the Arapahoe, Ute, Kiowa, and Comanche.

Today 23 women from CO, NM, KY & IL gathered to make this historic CO first happen.

This area is perfect for campers:

KentuckyJam (SBIT) and I

At 6200 feet you better get on that sunscreen!

Shaded canopy in the Colorado plains.

Instructional pics:
Prone and SHF's

Sling review by KYjam

Ball/Dummy

Finding your Natural Point Of Aim:
Sight alignment, sight picture, close your eyes, breathe in, breathe out, relax, open your eyes. Your front sight will now be at your NPOA.

Prone shooting:

Standing position

At the target line ask yourself, "how big is my group and where is my group?"

Watching the line...

BF and CM

During a short break, BF checks the COF w. KY and TH watch the line.

One of the flags of our founders. Do you know the history behind this flag?  Come to an Appleseed and find out!  (We awarded this Culpepper Minutemen flag to the 1st place winner of our speed cookie shoot:  Kim, also our first Rifleman! WTG Kim!)

KY and BF make a change on the fly.

Time to shoot some AQT's!!
Mom2sarah (Dawn)

Time to score them up and see how we did!

Three Riflemen!!

Riflewoman makes Rifleman score with a 227!..hey it must be the name right?!

And Kim!

And Hannah, with a bolt gun scores an amazing 210 and gets a refreshing reward! It will  go with that purple Rifleman's patch and a Patriot's patch as well!!

Anna gets a Patriot's Patch

CONGRATS to all!!

Happy faces

Group shot of this historic first for Colorado!

Before the sun sets on this event Kim steps up as an IIT!
Congrats Kim!

The debut of the new ladies AS Purple shirts

...go nicely with those purple memorial patches:

That ends with the purple mountains majesty. The backdrop of this shoot was 14, 115' Pikes Peak.

What a weekend!  Thank you all for making this a safe and rewarding event:  Mogget and KYjam (who flew in from IL and KY), the BOTG CO team: Long Rifle, Franktown_Kid, oneshot_onehole who set-up and tore-down the range, and helped anywhere else they could; local instructors Cora_Munroe, Trigger_Hippie and Mom2Sarah; Shane who came with M2S and helped set-up; TaosGlock who did much of the driving, helped set-up, kept rifles supplied and working and took half of the pictures; oneshot_onehole and his wife Kim who fed us a wonderful meal on saturday and even shared the recipes; Riflewoman who did admin and brought the fantastic new t-shirts and a bunch of great stickers for everyone; everyone who encouraged students to come to this event; and our shooters:  18 (corrected) wonderful women from Colorado who adapted, persisted and overcame adversity to better themselves and learn about their country.

It was truly an honor and a privilege to work with you all!

/BlueFeather (Gillian)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

Josey Wales

:cool2:
..Looks like you all had a wonderful time, The pictures are great, & the shirts are cool..
..What a relief to know there are groups of American Woman out there hanging tough.....Great Job Ladies......
..............Strength & Honor...............Josey Wales........... :cool2:
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Col. Morgan's Granddaughter

Kyjam...This WV Granny is loving your profile photo!!!  It is a joy.
Cynthia
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

RifleWoman

I think the actual number was 18,  I'll double check but I'm pretty sure.

It would be really nice if you would make sure that RifleWoman doesn't look like a total geek before taking her picture.  Well, I guess that would mean no pics, but that's ok too  ;)

Earl

AQT 227, doesn't look bad at all, and a purple Rifleman patch - nope, great picture of a great American lady, proud of you. Riflewoman. O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

kentuckyjam

Thanks, Cynthia.  Let me know if you're interested in making an outfit for yourself.  It's not too hard and alot of fun.

BlueFeather

Quote from: RifleWoman on October 01, 2010, 06:49:37 PM
I think the actual number was 18,  I'll double check but I'm pretty sure.

It would be really nice if you would make sure that RifleWoman doesn't look like a total geek before taking her picture.  Well, I guess that would mean no pics, but that's ok too  ;)

You are right, we had a walk on on sunday; I corrected the number to 18.

What do you mean?  I am the one with Mickey Mouse ears!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

kentuckyjam

Oh my word, the one of me standing up and the hat about to take off is horrid.  :-[  I don't want to hear anyone whining.  ;)

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I am very proud of you gals. Purple just happens to be my favorite color.  ..:.. 
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Col. Morgan's Granddaughter

Thanks KyJam!!!

This WV Granny happens to be a seamstress, among my diverse talents, so I'm up to the challenge.  But...I don't think I'd rock that ensamble as well as you do lady.  It suits you perfectly.  And, I love, love, love all the purple!  I'll have to go purple for my shirt.
I'm guessing the opportunity for that purple Rifleman Patch has passed, but someday I hope to have a Rifleman patch of any color.  I'm working on it.
Cynthia
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

Colorado Pete

Looks like another good event!

Congratulations to the new lady 'Riflemen'! And especially to Hannah, whom I know worked very hard for it (I'll bet you remembered to keep the stock in your shoulder while working the bolt!), and to Kim for taking the orange hat!

Great job by all.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Trigger Hippie

I love these photos, especially the ones of KyJam in costume (I'm sorry I missed that on Saturday), and the one of Hannah getting doused while holding her Riflewoman patch.  Awesome. :D
Liberty is the solution of all social and economic questions.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Trigger Hippie

Things I especially liked about Ladyseed that I hadn't seen at previous Appleseeds:

-historical storytelling first-person, in costume (which I unfortunately missed)
-involving the students as models in demonstrations
-pretty purple patches and t's.

And of course it was great to meet other women who are involved in Appleseed.
Liberty is the solution of all social and economic questions.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

siglite

QuoteHannah, at 13 got her patch with a bolt-action rifle.

I'd just like to drop in and congratulate Hannah for this.  This is a feat I'm not sure I'm capable of performing.  I've never tried it, as I'm well aware of how slow I am with a bolt-action rifle.  This is no trivial thing.  Congratulations Hannah.  Believe me, the list of people who are capable of shooting 210 with a bolt-action rifle represents a tiny, minuscule fraction of the population of the whole country.  It's an exclusive club you're in there, representing tiny fractions of a percent.

O0

--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

Colorado Pete

Siglite, come on out to CO and we'll have Hannah teach you bolt work! Of course, using a short-throw .22 instead of a .30-06 does make it a little quicker!

She wanted to borrow my .22 auto LTR for this shoot but it was already promised to another attendee. Her dad (my main shooting partner) opined that earning the patch with a bolt gun was the "RifleMANLY" thing to do heheheh! All four in her family are dedicated bolt gunners, come to think of it I am too, got my patch that way, as did Hannah's dad. It can be done quite well with a rimfire, the right technique, and enough practice.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper