News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jonathon Harrington and Jonathon Harrington, Jr.

Started by kentuckyjam, September 06, 2010, 02:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyjam

I've heard many summize that these were father and son.  However, after reading through more material from our trip to Mass and researching online, Jonathon the fifer was the son of John Harrington, older brother to Jonathon H, Jr who died in his wife Ruth's arms just off the green.  JH jr's 8 yr old son was there as well (another Jonathon), and died the next year just before his 10th birthday.  The fifer's dad, John H, was also one of the 77 on the green that day.  He was not killed.  The fifer lived to 96, within 6 years of the Civil War.

Just some tidbits.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Fred

Quote from: kyjam on September 06, 2010, 02:10:09 AM
The fifer's dad, John H, was also one of the 77 on the green that day.  He was not killed.  The fifer lived to 96, within 6 years of the Civil War.

Which makes him the longest-living survivor of that day. IIRC, in PRR the claim is made that more American troops marched in his funeral parade than were present on April 19th, 1775 - which means (if they knew the actual number back in the 1850s -and they prob didn't) - more than 14,000 - and that's a lot!

The 'tidbits' of history are like salt, adding flavor to the bread.

In a way, it's a tidbit of history that the name "Jonathon Harrington" served in a way as "bookends" for the experience - a "Jonathon Harrington" was the both the first and the last to die, of those present that day...

Love reading your tidbits, Kyjam! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

PHenry

I liken my study of the Founders to an onion. As I peel each layer back, I find that my respect for them and more importantly, my amazement at the magnitude of their deeds, grows exponentially.

I am now digesting the 500 year leap and would recommend it. It delineates just how "revolutionary" the Constitution was and what it did for the entire human race.

To remember is to honor.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata