News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lexington, Concord, Boston trip 7/10-13/10

Started by kentuckyjam, July 17, 2010, 04:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyjam

I'm putting info under headings so you can read what you want and you don't have to sift through.

Travel
We ended up going from Ky to West Virginia to Maryland to Pennsylvania, to New York, to Connecticut, to Massachusetts.  From Ky it took 15 hours to get to Framingham.  It took 30 mins I think to get to Lexington the next morning.  If you are from the south and use to exit numbers coinciding with mile markers, you are out of luck, get a good map.  If anyone wants the specific route we took, PM me.

Lodging
The first night we knew we'd get in late so we stayed in Framingham, at the wrong hotel.  Air wasn't quite working and the area was seedy.  I don't care what kind of discount you get, don't stay at the Econolodge there. ;)
Was excited, however, we were in Noah Eaton's town.

The rest of our stay was at Mary Van's My Old House - http://www.maryvansmyoldhouse.com/index.html .  Her prices include tax so I believe end up being cheaper than any of the hotels.  She is 2 blocks from the National Heritage Museum where the Liberty Ride tour starts and the Sons of Liberty display/show is.  You can also catch the bus to Boston if you are smart enough to do that rather than drive - even when everyone tells you not to drive.  There are 2 pics of our room in the snapfish album below.  Mary is an interesting woman.  She has 2 cocker spaniels Winnie and Polar Bear that will come get in your trash if you don't make sure the door is latched.  Otherwise, they are wonderful dogs.  Her breakfasts were good and hit the spot.  She even packed us fruit for the trip home since we didn't want to sit and eat while time was wastnig away.  If you are up to a zany host and some conversation, I recommend you stay with Mary.  She's a patriot and thinks Appleseed is a cool thing.  She was also excited I was going to be sharing her info with the instructors.  She looks forward to seeing you. ;)

BLUE is things/places you can see but can't go into, etc.  RED is for things/places you can go into or tour.

Lexington
We first took the Liberty Ride trolley tour then went back on our own.  It takes you around Lexington Green, by Buckman Tavern, Hancock-Clarke House, and Munroe Tavern.   It then takes you down the road through Lincoln and on to Concord.  You get out at the North Bridge and then head back.  90 minute tour.

Jonathon Harrington's
house is on the green, privately owned, but you still get to see where it is, and think of Ruth as Jonathon dies in her arms.  Of the fifer is indeed their son, you can imagine Ruth waking him up.
Lexington Green has a monument, memorials, etc.
If you have to skip one of the 3 Lexington Historical Society houses, I suggest it be Buckman Tavern.  There wasn't much new information (as with all 3), but there wasn't significance to a particular person.  It did tell more about items from the period.  Allow an hour for each of the three tours - Buckman, Hancock-Clarke House, Munroe Tavern. 
Hancock-Clarke House has original tables, etc that were there when Adams and Hancock were.  Also has on display - William Diamond's drum, Pitcairn's pistols, and the clap from the belfry.  I wanted to just stay in the front room where they sat at the table and were to sleep.  Two men who gave their all so we could benefit were in that room and I got to stand in it, looking out the window.  They would have seen clear to the green since it was farmland then.  They would also see the Harrington house.
Munroe Tavern - Tells more of the red coats; original items from Washington's visit.  I also took in the upstairs room where Washington was.  That was humbling.
National Heritage Museum
- learned more about John Parker, saw the trunk.

Concord
Concord Museum - See one of the two lanterns and Buttrick's pistol; more info on Wm. Emerson.
South bridge
North bridge
- Minute Man statue; monument
Visitor's Center with artifacts.
The Old Manse - guided tour.
Buttrick's house is closed for now.
Minute Man Visitor Center

Battle Road - too many places/homes to list.  Please see the pictures.  Awesome experience.  We walked the 5 mile trail.  Had some issues with my tennis shoes and blistered up.  Yet it was nothing compared to what the British and colonists went through.  Walking through the farm land portion was the most real experience because all the trees weren't around back then.  The red coats were marching in plain sight, seeing the militia in the hills, not seeing them behind barns and houses.  And what was going through the minds of the militia?  They were so determined to fight for their liberty.  The families had to wonder if they would be safe.

Boston
You do not need the guided walking tour of the Freedom Trail.  We had "The Complete Guide to Boston's Freedom Trail" by Charles Bahne (3rd ed) and a map of the sites.  The burying grounds were more touching than I realized they would be.  The Old South Meeting House was another highlight for me.  We were able to stand in the room where the Boston Tea Party was discussed, imaging being there amongst our fathers.  Paul Revere's House had some original items and a lot of history.  Many more sites on this trail.

Arlington (Menotomy)
Jason Russell's house
- oh I wish we had found this on Sunday.  It's only open to tour on Sat/Sun.  This was an incredible thing to see, imagining him in the doorway, making his stand.  It was the last thing we saw, ending the trip on a high note.

I decided to cut this short and not ruin the experience for anyone else.  That being said, we have many pictures at the link below and if you plan on going, don't look at all of them so you, too can be surprised.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1756475026/a=3357495026_3357495026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Mudcat

Thanks for the virtual tour. Sounds like you all had a good time.  O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

slim

Thanks for sharing this, kyjam. Pictures were great!  I'm so glad to see so much of the history is being preserved there... unlike around here where we just bulldoze it and get on with "progress."

Also glad to see you and Brad now have first-hand knowledge and can't wait to hear your history next time!