News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NAME???

Started by Ishy, March 31, 2011, 12:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishy

Many instructors tell the story about the patriot whose leg was injured and amputated...gangrene sets in and he has another amputation...gangrene, amputation...gangrene, amputation...etc.  Does anyone know where his story comes from (don't remember seeing it in Paul Revere's Ride) or possibly what his name was?  I'm looking for some more facts about him to put in a speech I'm writing.

Thanks!

Ish
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Sly223

Did you ever, get an answer? I would give it but also do not know it, Trying to get a spark going on this thread. @@)
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Ishy

No I didn't but thanks for bringing it up again.  How about you IL HBC folks?   :cool2:
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

TN_Dadx5

The only name that I have ever found was Moses Parker.  He was a Lt. Colonel and took a ball to the knee during Bunker Hill and died on July 4th, 1775.  He was 43.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

4bfox

Maybe you're thinking of Abel Prescott (Dr. Samuel Prescott's older brother) who also was an express rider on April 19th....he was shot in the leg later in the day, and suffered for 4 months before dying of gangrene and dysentery?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

TN_Dadx5

Now, this has me all mixed up.  From the Prescott Memorial:

Dr. Abel Prescott m. (1) Abigail Brigham who died and he m. (2) June 12, 1775, Mrs.
Mary the widow of John Beaton, who died aged 78. He enjoyed during a long period
a very extensive professional patronage in Concord, Mass., and lived in the house
more recently owned by Captain Moore, a little below Concord Village. He died from
mortification of the foot, Oct 26, 1805, aged 87 years 6 months and 19 days.

And

Abel Prescott Jr b. April 12, 1749. On the 19th of April 1775 he was fired on by
British soldiers as he was returning from the neighboring town, whither he had
been to apprise the people of the approach of the 'regulars' (so called), and
slightly wounded in the side, but succeeded in making his escape by secreting
himself in the house of a Mr. Heywood. He died from dysentery on the third of the
following Sept, 1775 aged 26 yrs 5 mos and 9 days.

If this is right, Abel Jr was shot in the side and not the leg but his father died of morification (gangrene) of the foot.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

4bfox

That IS confusing. I'm pretty sure Abel was shot in the leg (ankle) and had multiple surgeries due to gangrene, then died about 4 months later. But I can't give you book/paragraph/pages...I'm at work.

4b
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

slim

I don't remember seeing it in Paul Revere's Ride either. As far as I know, the story comes from Fred.

I've never heard a specific name, but it could proabably be applied to numerous folks who died during the war.

Ishy

Thanks, folks.  The story is powerful without a name but it would be nice to verify.   ;)

Sly223

I told this story yet again, this past weekend at an event in Myakka Fl. Really grabbed their attention,only the "Lucky Ones" Died instantly on the Battle Field. The most brutal amputations imaginable!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Ishy

Yeah...boy I'm thankful mine was surgical under anesthesia!  :D

Nickle

It's reported to be Prescott. But, I'll add that he wasn't the only one, as this was a fairly common thing. Get shot in an appendage, and they started hacking off parts until you either healed or died. There were no antibiotics back then.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Ishy

TruTenacity

Ishy,

Would you be willing to send me a copy of your speech?

Thanks.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9