News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Star Spangled Banner

Started by AZOpie, December 22, 2010, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

JustJeff

O0
thank you for sharing this....
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Cooper

Quote from: AZOpie on December 22, 2010, 01:01:34 PM
An excellent telling of how the song came about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Iwa-lSVqA1M&vq=medium

It's very moving, but completely incorrect.

Nearly all of the British fire missed Ft McHenry.
Only four people were killed there by the bombardment, and 24 wounded.
Francis Scott Keye went to ransom one friend, Dr William Beanes.

Very compelling rendition of events, but his version is pure fiction.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/warof1812/p/ftmchenry.htm

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Chainsaw

Quote from: Cooper on December 22, 2010, 04:30:31 PM

Coop

This is a good lesson.   There's no need to turn 19 ships into "hundreds."  The story is compelling on its own and exaggerating it only disappoints (at best).
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

AZOpie

Thank you Cooper for speaking up. This the video on point:

AZO

Quote from: Cooper on December 22, 2010, 04:30:31 PM

Coop

colycat

History is written by the victorious.  I loved the video.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Gopher Boy

accurate or stretched I don't really think it matters.

I like the Mark Twain quote, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Hmmm...  It does really show us one thing...  In 235 years I don't think we have changed much (Well some of us).

Since 9/11 I've not been able to sing the national anthem.  You see all I can do when I hear it is cry and remember.  My tears are not of sorrow, but of pure pride.  The feeling I felt after 9/11 was pride for my country.  Sure, I loved my country before, but never like this.  It seemed to me that one of the first things we did was raise the colors and go about the work that needed to be done.  We all did it in our own way.  Remember where you where?

Shortly after 9/11 I took my family to Washington DC. Of course we had to go to the Smithsonian.  At that time the flag that was draped across the Pentagon and a piece of the structure of one of the towers was on displace.  I stood there and openly weep with many many people.  All the cool stuff that is in there and there I stood looking at Old Glory and a piece of twisted metal.  That's what I remember from my vacation.

Why?  Because to remember is to honor.  Our flag is a symbol to all of us,  to some the price that was paid for our freedom, to other a sign that help is actually here.  Help to feed us, or to defend us and sometime to liberate us.  We often don't think of the GOOD that is done under that flag, I think because we are reminded that some people are bothered by it.  Think about this...  The most powerful army in the world and what are our soldiers known for.  OK, I mean other than kicking ass and taking name  ;)  Handing out candy to kids.  This is not new to the Persian gulf.  Yet, that's not what you read about us.

So the next time you walk under Old Glory.  Look up, smile and say a quiet thanks to those that keep that flag their for us and the good that is done under it.

Respectfully,

G.B.

EEL

G.B.
+10 on hearing the National Anthem.  I don't know how this guy got thru the story w/o breaking down....I know I didn't.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Sly223

I hate being at an event when someone disrespects it.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!