News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My Debate at Freedom Fest 2010 on the Constitution

Started by lysander6, August 20, 2010, 01:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lysander6

Here is the video of my debate at Freedom Fest in Las Vegas in July.  My opponent was Dr. Daniel Walker Howe, a Pulitzer Prize winning historian from UCLA.  The debate resolution is What is Better for America:  The Articles of Confederation or the Constitution.  I championed the former.

See:  http://kaiserleib.com/media/BuppertHoweDebate.mp4

I offer this as an alternative albeit not very popular view of our Founding.  There is plenty of Constitutional enthusiasm on this site despite the fact that our time period (1775) is a full generation prior to the unfortunate ratification of that document and much more proximate to the Declaration.  I thought this may be germane to expanding the framework of the argument.

There are other similar discussions on my blog.

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

henschman

The Articles of Confederation of course were the supreme law of the land when they were drafted.  A little known fact is that when the Constitution was ratified, it was not done so in conformity with the Articles of Confederation, which would have required an amendment approved by Congress and all of the state legislatures.

So, in a manner of speaking, the Constitution is unconstitutional! 

I'll watch your debate when I can get to a computer with working speakers.  I wish I could have made it to Freedom Fest, but it was not a good time of year for me.  I was too busy trying to get permission from the state to practice my chosen profession.   >:(
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819