News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beckley, WV 10/2 - 10/3

Started by siglite, October 03, 2010, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siglite

We had a very small, but great Appleseed weekend in Beckley.  Instructors outnumbered students on both days.  This is good for the students, and good for the instructors as well. 

Saturday, we only had two shooters.  But what a huge, incredibly nice range for so few people!  Beckley has 500 beautiful, well manicured yards of rifle range with steel gongs at the 300 and 500 yard lines.  Vanrichten and I showed up early and set up the line, to our surprise, with frost under our feet.  Then the other students and instructors arrived, and we were shooting.   As the day progressed, the weather got warmer and warmer, and it wound up being absolutely beautiful.

Sunday, not so much.  Three shooters persevered in what most people view as completely miserable conditions.  The day started wet, with the temps in the low 30.  It stayed wet, too.  The temperatures climbed into the low 40s, but that wasn't much of a help, because the wind and drizzle picked up.  I think pretty much everyone was miserable.  Except maybe me.  Perhaps I'm insane, but there's something about shooting in the cold and wet that just feels like "home" to me. 

Anyway, among our small turnout, we did make one rifleman.  Congrats to MacMcM!  It's a pretty good day when you earn your patch, is it not?

Thanks to Agony, we have some pictures of the event.

L to R: Yours truly, sgtmace, MacMcM, Tonya, Vanrichten

Tonya and Roger on the line during a transition as sgtmace observes.

WV's newest rifleman: Congrats Mac!

There's something about shooting stuff that just brings out grins, no?

And when you have a pile of instructors, and few students, yes, you can bet the instructors are going to get some trigger time.  And we did.  Here's sgtmace test-driving my newest toy.

And me showing the 300yd gong some tough love.  They're a long ways away, but I promise you, somewhere in the distance, there's a 20" metal gong.

Thanks to the students and the instructors for persevering in dismal conditions to help remind Americans of their heritage as riflemen.
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

agony

Yup, small turnout, but great weekend for me.
I don't complain about the weather.  I'm at that range year-round. Plus weather adds another dimension to shooting.  I think it encourages a more adaptable skill-set for serious rifleshooters.  And reminds us that in times when you really need a rifle, the weather isn't going to cooperate.  Not only that, but it reminds me that our Revolutionary ancestors didn't use their rifles at a controlled range in sunny 70 degree weather shooting at fixed targets that don't shoot back.

agony

And congrats to MacMcM for the rifleman patch victory.

sgtmace

A big Huzzah for Mac- he persevered and got that patch. Everyone else put forth due effort that will surely pay off the next AS they attend. We had some opportunities to 7th step with club members as well. Always good to spread to word. Weather issues or not. If you go to an AS and don't have a good time- you might need clinical assistance.
Great job folks.
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry

MacMcM

I finally relaxed into NPOA. Went from 203 to 222 with just that "little" change.

Truly amazing feeling when it all clicks into place. 6 little steps.

Sgt Mace you really did the history justice.

MacMcM
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

The Machine

Sounds like a productive shoot, despite the low turnout.
Congratulations on the Rifleman score Mac!  :~ I knew you were getting awfully close; glad to see it all gelled for you.

Thanks to sgtmace for making the journey from NC. And thanks to our WV IC for doing another great job running things.

BCG is a great KD facility and I hope those in attendance from that region will help spread the word to get more folks involved. I see siglite took full advantage of the 500 yd. gongs with his newest tool.  :cool2:
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

siglite

Hah!  I just now realized that that pic of sgtmace has a casing in the air right at his support hand.  Good pic, agony!  O0
--

Keith Morgan

Johnnyappleseed

Good shoot West Virginia  O0 saving America 1Rifleman at a time .
Nice pic's too  O0

I like the stock and finish on that m14  8)---- can anyone provide a detail or two on it?
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

siglite

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 06, 2010, 01:42:20 PM
Good shoot West Virginia  O0 saving America 1Rifleman at a time .
Nice pic's too  O0

I like the stock and finish on that m14  8)---- can anyone provide a detail or two on it?
JA

Oh, I'll happily brag about that rifle.

Armscor (very low S/N) TFL receiver
Kreiger match barrel.
Elmer Ballance tuned trigger to 4.5lbs
NM sights
Sadlak TiN NM gas piston
Sadlak NM recoil spring guide
Tubbs Chrome-Silicon recoil spring and hammer spring
All other parts USGI.

Build and bedding by Charley Maloney.  http://www.charliemaloney.com

--

Keith Morgan

Johnnyappleseed

siglite WOW -----------nice custom rifle --- I have an armscorp receiver on mine -- but am unfamiliar with the acronym  TFL
Now the big question MOA ? LOL
Thanx
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

siglite

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 07, 2010, 02:15:35 AM
siglite WOW -----------nice custom rifle --- I have an armscorp receiver on mine -- but am unfamiliar with the acronym  TFL
Now the big question MOA ? LOL
Thanx
JA

With my handloads, I got a 2MOA group out of it shooting prone.  I haven't shot it off a bench yet to take myself out of the picture and see what the rifle itself is capable of.  I know that Charlie has a reputation for building sub-minute M14s.  With cheap American Eagle crap ammo, I was shooting 3.5 - 4MOA.  But I strongly suspect that those groups were more me than the ammo.  I was calling the shots as bad shots.  The target agreed.   :-[

A close friend of mine "managed" the build.  Meaning, he procured all the parts over the space of several years prior to sending it to Charlie to build.  He put about 100 rounds through it before I decided to buy it off of him.  He's a real fountain of M14 knowledge.  One of those guys that just lives, eats, and breathes all things M14.  Anyway, he reported ragged-hole groups from the bench at 100yds.  I believe him. 

The "TFL" receivers were a limited armscor run done for the old "The Firing Line" forums.  Quality wise, they're identical to other armscor receivers.  As in, excellent.  They just were a very limited run, and have a cool crossed-rifles logo in the receiver, and low serial numbers, because there weren't many of them.  The "TFL" part is just a bit of a novelty.  Not a ton of them out there.  My serial number is lower than 100.
--

Keith Morgan

wvmmfalcon

Congratulations Mac. I knew that you were getting close. Getting the patch feels good doesn't it. Everytime I am at a small shooter event, it seems that there is much more learning on both ends.(as in) I tend to learn more while teaching than when there are more students. Siglite, nice looking machine, first time I have seen it. Agony, I think  that bad weather  can help weed out the sunshine patriots and it gives the shooters who do attend, a better sense of accomplishment. Good pics, since I didn't see you anywhere I assume that you are behind the lens. Sgtmace good to see someone from near the home range come to our humble ranges. We haven't met YET. Vanrichten Good to see you helping Siglite. I overdid it last month and couldn't make it down this time. It looks like Tonya is the only one that I didn't comment on. Anyone that perseveres through that weather needs recognition. I hope to see you on a regular basis now that you have been introduced to Appleseed. falcon
Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe
I think, therefore I am dangerous (Q)

smwwoody

Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

MacMcM

Tnx Woody,
Can't wait to back it up. Wish I could come to your place, but gotta work late Friday. See ya on the trail.

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

smwwoody

We will be shooting a FD AQT sunday that is 100 200 300 and 400 yards
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC