News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed - Boone, NC January 25-26, 2014

Started by Pain Killer, January 27, 2014, 10:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

I have to start off by saying how much I truly enjoyed this event! This was promoted as a Designated Appleseed in the Mountains of NC and trust me, they did not let us down at the Watauga Gun Club. We started the morning with a temperature of 7 degrees and a high of 20 with Wind Chills below zero most of the day. We had 30mph sustained winds with 50mph gusts and 3 inches of snow on Saturday. Even though we did our best to keep the rifles covered, we had to rotate the shooters rifles with loaner rifles throughout the day to take rifles off the line to clean snow out of the chamber and receiver. You might think the participants hated this, but quite the contrary, we ALL loved it! So much fun! On Saturday, we had two rifleman re-qualify and receive their Winterseed patches. Bill W. scored a 236 and Kevin H. scored a 240. Also, we had a re-enactor wearing a uniform that a Confederate Soldier from NC would have worn during the war. He wore this all day, even with the cold conditions and he gave a Smooth Bore Musket demonstration. Thank you to Clint J. for this!

The snow stayed on the ground for Sunday, but it warmed up a little to give us a bit of a break from the below zero conditions. We had one new rifleman, Richard with a score of 212 and 4 instructor re-quals by MtnWulf 228, Pelon 222, cdavidhord 228 and Pain Killer 215. Bill W. and Kevin H. stepped up to take the Orange Hats, Huzzah!

Thank you to all the Instructors who braved these conditions; cadams, Pelon, Polonius, Flyfisher, FiremanBob, Fox4 and cdavidhord. A special thanks to Polonius (Bill) for graciously providing a place for the Instructors to stay and to FiremanBob for Border Raiding from Virginia.

Again, this was an awesome event with great people. This is only the 2nd event here, but the members of this range have really made us feel at home and are just incredible hosts! And to all the Northerners that had fun with us and our designated Winterseed,  :P

Please post pictures if you have them!

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

Sunday Pictures...  Sorry but none of the patch presentation pictures came out. I think the camera man was shivering too much or something.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Adena

Looks like it was a great event!

Looking forward to the Ladyseed event there later this year!
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

BeSwift

Good to see some other brave souls out in the elements this past weekend..  I was beginning to think that only the Marylanders were nuts  ;D  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

ArisB32

We may not have had to deal with "Northern conditions," but Winter still played havoc with us.  Heck, we didn't even need a translator to deal with those pesky northern accents...lol.  All in all it was a great time, and I'm looking forward to many more at the WGC.  Thanks to all who participated.   We hope to see y'all again real soon...with or without the snow.   O0

Is

Nice AAR! Looks like a great time. The winterseed is always a special thing.
"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." -Plato
http://www.ncgunowners.com

Pain Killer

I forgot to mention that we had. 9 participants and 7 instructors in all.

Dakota

Great job guys, glad it was a success!! Sorry I missed this one.
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

MtnWulf

My sincere thanks to Painkiller and the instructors for having this Appleseed at our range. Hopefully we can make this an annual event.
Special thanks to Fireman Bob for working on our frozen rifles and for the 10/22 mag cleaning instruction. (I cleaned 14 magazines I found lying around that night. We have alot of 10/22s in the house.)