News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fallon, NV November 1st and 2nd, 2008

Started by atticus, November 04, 2008, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atticus

First, I wish to thank all the participants, every one of you did a great job of being a Range Safety Officer.  We ran an extremely safe line, I could not have done it without your total cooperation.  One of the shooters even remarked on Sunday that "this is the first time I have been on a line this big and wasn't swept with a muzzle."  That's saying something.

I also need to thank the owners and staff at Middlegate Station, the food was terrific and the atmosphere was outstanding!  The scenery around Fallon is unbelievable, take a look at what you missed in the pictures below.

We had 22 shooters on Saturday, including 3 sets of Fathers and Sons, a couple of couples and 3 women shooters which I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of the muzzle.  It was cloudy with periods of light rain mainly in the afternoon.  After a morning of intense instruction we started grinding out the AQTs. I knew I had some Rifleman candidates after the first one.  By the end of the afternoon, I handed out three patches.  Not bad for a Saturday afternoon.  Check out those smiles in the picture below.

On Sunday, we started all over again.  After everyone loosened up with the Redcoat target, some squares and a ball and dummy drill, we shot our first two AQTs of the day, Neal scored Rifleman before lunch with several repeat scores from the Saturday Riflemen.

I have noticed the phenomenon before, that after lunch everyone moves a little slower and scores tend to move down instead of up.  As I should have expected we experienced the same problem.  After careful consideration, around 2pm on Sunday, I arrived at a solution.  Too late for this AS, but if you see me on the schedule as Shoot Boss, I will warn you, at my next AS, we will skip lunch both days! ;D

We finally managed to get one more rifleman before dark on Sunday.  Bob and Monte both broke the 200 point mark but couldn't pull those last couple of points in the final AQT of the day.  I expect both to shoot Rifleman on the very first AQT of their next Appleseed.

Finally, I need to thank everyone again, I was unable to pay for any of my meals for the entire weekend.  Once again, I have met the most kind, generous, Patriotic citizens in these United States.  You all truly made my trip wonderful and enjoyable, I look forward to seeing each of you in the future.
Pugna Pro Patria

Beware of the man that owns only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it.

Have you dry fired your rifle today?

atticus

More pictures,

By the way, some of these are from Jim E.
Pugna Pro Patria

atticus

The last ones.
Pugna Pro Patria

KingBubbaTruck

It was the first Appleseed for my Wife and I (Brent and Sharon).  All I can say is that it was a weekend very well spent. 

While we didn't make rifleman, we did learn an awful lot and plan to get plenty of practice in before our next Appleseed.

Atticus did an awesome job.  The instruction was top notch, the historical readings were inspirational, and the energy was outstanding.

I wish I could drag some of my more liberal friends to an event like this.  You could never find a more 'normal', polite, patriotic group of people.  I truly enjoyed meeting everyone and being able to participate in an event like this.

Ditto on what Atticus said about Middlegate.  I've driven by it before but never gave stopping in a second thought.  Once inside though, it was incredible.  The staff were funny and friendly, and the food was great and plentiful. 

Shooting at Middlegate is truly a western desert shooting experience!

This kind of training is something that I believe needs to be experienced in order to understand.  Reading is ok, but after the training we received, it now really makes sense.

Thanks again Atticus for your patience and persistance over the weekend!

PHenry

Five Riflemen out of what - 13 shooters?  :o :o :o

Clearly, this is the mark to which I must aspire as a new shoot boss!

Way to go Atticus and way to go attendees!

Maybe I need to have some of that good NV dirt shipped to Florida!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

atticus

Not THAT great, but I'm VERY pleased with 5 out of 22
Pugna Pro Patria

PVT Jacob Keen

Fast paced, excellent instruction.  Atticus did an outstanding job.
Marksmanship can't be bought, it's a skill that must be learned and practiced.  Indoor smallbore rifle clubs are a great way for keeping your skills honed during the winter months.  Middlegate was great, like stepping onto the movie set of Tremors. Enjoyed shooting with all of you, hope to see everyone on the firing line at Camp Perry.
1st Battalion, New Jersey Continental Troops
Battle of Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth

DarrellM5

What an awesome event.  This is my 2nd Appleseed after attending the March Middlegate event in a blizzard.  The weather was much better this time.  Atticus runs a really safe line and the quality of his instruction is evident in the dramatic marksmanship improvements we saw as the weekend progressed. 

Dutch

Thanks for a great weekend Atticus!  The shoot was well run, safe, and effective. 

Atticus had his hands full running the firing line and doing all the instruction.  He provided some incredible Revolutionay War history along the way.  His detailed knowledge of the events of April 19, 1775 was impressive! 

His teaching skills were pretty good too as he awarded a total of 5 rifleman for the weekend.  Everyone's groups shrunk as the shoot went on and there were a number of shooters who were right there at the end!

Middlegate is a long way from anywhere, but it is worth the trip and I guarantee you wont forget it!  Hopefully there is another Appleseed there in the spring.  I will be back and I look forward to seeing some of my fellow shooters again. 

Thanks again Atticus and Appleseed!

Neal

James E

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with 22 other fine Americans.  I was glad to see a few young folks there.  There may be hope for our country.

Russ, you inspired me.  Thank you!  I am already working on the seventh step.  I hope to have as many as half a dozen new Appleseeders at the April shoot in San Luis Obispo.  I am looking forward to it.

arashi

Thank you Atticus for your dedication.

Is there going to be another in March '09?  I've got several young ones rearing to go.

BTW- My fellow FAL shooter forgot and left his nice recoil pad on my FAL after borrowing it.  If you happen to see this, please email me through the board and I will get it back to you.

Dark watch

I would like to thank all the people who attended the Appleseed.  Tyler and I had a great time. 
I would especially like to thank Reed who let Tyler use his AR and spent most of his time helping him shoot.  Thank you.
Atticus did a wonderful job on both history and range safety.  I hope to see all of you and more at the next shoot. 
   Thanks  again !!!