News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

where to find shooters?

Started by Mudcat, September 18, 2009, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

We have had some very low numbers on our IN. shoots. The Evansville shoot this weekend there are 60 slots and we most likely will not fill half of those slots. I sit here the day before the shoot with 22 shooters on the list and a promised walk on of 5. Tuesday we were at 16 prereg.
Now what has been done by me local BOG?
Press releases sent out to 7 different newspapers in the area no reply from any. No story from the 2 that I actually read.
Talk in gun shops and leaving fliers.
Fliers in mags at Wally world, sporting good stores, grocery stores, liquor stores,auto parts stores, convience stores  ranges around the area both public and private.
Attended 4H meetings telling them about Appleseed  good results there and will do this again
contacted scout leaders
met with 2 recruiters to try and tell them about the program Army and NG.
tried to get to meet with the NG SGM or training NCO no luck yet.
e-mail to local homeschool group
hit up family, friends, and any joe on the street who would listen

Now what else could be done? We have another shoot in Oct. and I want to try and get started like right now.
I believe that INGO could be an asset but the southern part of the state has had no luck off of the site. If we could get a few to attend and tell others I believe it would help a lot. I've offered free rifle, mat, ammo, food everything but no takers.

How about some other ideas?
Here is the press release I sent out.

Press Release                        September 3, 2009

For Immediate Release

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association (a 501.c.3 nonprofit organization) is pleased to announce that the fourth Evansville Appleseed Project Shoot of this calendar year will be held at Red Brush Rifle Range on September 19th and 20th, 2009.  The Appleseed Project is a nationwide heritage program of rifle-marksmanship and firearms-safety training open to shooters of all skill levels, from beginners through advanced.

The program of instruction includes:

Review of the events of April 19, 1775 ("The Shot Heard 'Round the World");
   The American Heritage of Marksmanship;
   The 4 Safety Rules;
   The 6 Steps to Firing the Shot ("Shooting By the Numbers");
   Sling use;
   Shooting from the prone, seated or kneeling, and standing/offhand positions;
   Sight Adjustment (including conversion of inches into minutes of angle);
   Overcoming flinching, and working with adverse reactions to recoil.

The Appleseed Program provides the most affordable marksmanship training available anywhere.  Admission is free to attendees under 21 years old, and to active Military, Guard or Reserve members as well as women.  Cost to all other attendees is $45 for single day (Saturday or Sunday) or $70 for both days, if you are pre-registered.  Pre-registration (which is available via rwva.org) is strongly advised, as the number of attendees has increased dramatically in the past 12 months.

Attendees who complete the program of instruction will receive a Certificate of Marksmanship Activity, which satisfies one of the Civilian Marksmanship Program's requirements in order to purchase ammunition and surplus firearms at discounted rates.

For more information, visit our website at www.rwva.org, or you may contact:

Greg Harris
(812) 431-4087

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Fred

Greg, there's one obvious starting point you neglected to mention, one that could fill the firing line several times over.

That's at Red Brush Rifle Club, a group of 800+ dedicated rifle shooters, each of whom no doubt has a family, relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and others.

See if you can get access to the club newsletter and issue them a challenge:

Do they like the way the country is heading?

Is the future of liberty looking bright?

Do they care?

If they say "yes" to the last question, why aren't they supporting a program - one that's right there, at their local club/range - which promises to brighten that future?

If you don't believe it, why not come and see for yourself? Is that too much to ask?

And when you come, bring the wife and kids, for a start - they're likely free!

And talk to your neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers and others about coming to find out if there is a chance to change the future of this country.

Offer them a challenge: If they come, and don't think AS will change the country, we'll cheerfully refund their money (no one will take you up it - trust AS for that - but if they do, they'll get a refund).

They can't lose, as if they decide we can't save the country with AS, at least they'll learn to shoot better. :)

Right there, you have the potential of 8000 or more prospects, good ones. The ones I'd be going after, and expecting to be the first ones I'd see on the firing line.

And I'd single out the leaders of the club - the officers and the board - and offer to let them shoot free, if it would get them out for an AS. Get them on your side, believing in and promoting this program, and your job suddenly becomes much easier. (That's good, right? :) )

You're clearly putting some good effort into promoting this event at this location. Now let's get serious and get all the couch-warmers in RBRC off those couches and into Appleseeding.

Let's get those club leaders doing what they should be doing: promoting and educating people in not only rifle marksmanship, but passing the 2A tradition on to the next generation. (Duh.)

Say, aren't gun owners supposed to be more aware of the threat to liberty - and the need to pass on the tradition to the next generation - than the average Joe Doofus? And aren't gun club members, the few gun owners who will expend the energy to join a club, even better prospects?

Yes sir, I'd go after these members first and foremost, and I'd hit 'em hard with Project Grandkid too - as most of them are prob getting up in age...

Keep up the good work, and let's work the local pond harder. For one thing, you'll soon find a few people alive with the AS spirit who will be willing to take some of the promotional load off your back...

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Mudcat

DUH HOW STUPID OF ME! !@#)

I myself am a member of RBRC. I just assumed Sur+rifles had wore them out on it, the other RBRC member that is an instructor and he may have. He is the one who knows these guys and works with them for range dates for Appleseed. I WILL be at the next meeting early for the BOD and issue them the challenge. There is no reason we sould not be able to draw several hundred shooters from them.  This is an untapped asset we need to unplug. If we have to shame them into getting off the couch so be it.

Thanks Fred. I sure am glad I made this post instead of just beating myself in the head over it. We have 150 slots for the Oct. shoot, sure would be nice to fill them.Thursday Oct. 1st I will be there.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

Mudcat,

Is Redbrush still a big SASS range? If so let's get together on a challenge/flyer. SASS and NCOWS is one of the shooting/sportsman groups I plan to target for 2010. They are avid, they are enthusiastic, they like history, they are vocal about their sport. I believe Redbrush even hosted a End of Trail match there in the past.

Annnnnnnnddddddd, since you are a member of Redbrush...

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Fred

Quote from: Mudcat on September 18, 2009, 12:12:26 PM
...I just assumed Sur+rifles had wore them out on it... He is the one who knows these guys and works with them for range dates for Appleseed.

Greg, "check the numbers" to find out for sure.

Have 8000 people been to an AS at RBRC?

If not, no one in the club is 'wore out'.

We should keep after them, cajoling, shaming, challenging, until we get the first half to show up.

BTW, I'm figuring this is Indiana, and every one of those members has ten relatives, friends, co-workers, family, neighbors and others he knows, can talk to, and influence to come to an AS.

Which is how I come up with the target figure of 8000.

Hoosiers are generally more active than other states, so you should expect a good turnout, even if it requires beating the drum so loud and long that they come just to try and shut it up. :)

As a BOTG, try to get this notion of "starting at home" conveyed to other BOTGs in IN and elsewhere...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

hawkhavn

YHJ,

Westside Sportsman's Club is the big SASS club in E'ville.

Mudcat,

I know Sur+ has had it in the newsletter/website numerous times.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

DaveD

Mudcat,

I took your press release, modified for Cloverdale shoot and emailed to both local newspapers. Then posted a shortened version for the local community events page. Thank you for the post!

Also the individuals who have been serving lunches at our past shoots had to drop out, so I contacted a local Boy Scout troop. Scouts & parents will be there in force to serve our lunches and we just happen to present 2nd strike during that time!

So .... a solid contact with one local Troop.  Perhaps some future shooters + a foot in the door for other Troops in the county?

DD
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Lars

Would it be out of bounds to ask, for instance, the Libertarian party of Hamilton County Meetup Group if they would like to attend an Appleseed?  I understand Appleseed is NOT associated with a specific party, but in this case we, I, would be asking a group of individuals who are at least doing something to change the status  quo.

I've already talked to my Dad, Wife, two co-workers, and a couple friends about attending a shoot with me in the spring.
CQ CQ CQ CQ DE W9ZEB W9ZEB W9ZEB PSE K

Lars

Quote from: Lars on December 01, 2009, 06:02:04 PM
Would it be out of bounds to ask, for instance, the Libertarian party of Hamilton County Meetup Group if they would like to attend an Appleseed?  I understand Appleseed is NOT associated with a specific party, but in this case we, I, would be asking a group of individuals who are at least doing something to change the status  quo.

I've already talked to my Dad, Wife, two co-workers, and a couple friends about attending a shoot with me in the spring.

I had a chat tonight with the Marion County Libertarian Party Chariman Tim Maguire.  He and I have talked about firearms in the past so it wasn't a big deal at all to tell him about this great organization I recently got involved with called Appleseed.  I wasn't at home, and he was pretty busy while I had him on the phone, but he was very interested, and asked me to send him an e-mail with more info.  Which I have now done.  I think next week is when their Social Meetup Group gets together.  I'm going to try to be there in person with flyers.  Maybe we can get some/most/all of them to come to a shoot in 2010.
CQ CQ CQ CQ DE W9ZEB W9ZEB W9ZEB PSE K