News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

State of the State Thread

Started by techres, February 13, 2010, 10:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Ok Fellow Hoosiers,

First, let me say this is going to be the biggest year Indiana Appleseed has seen.  More shoots, more shooters, longer distances, and a massive increase in the size of our training and support corps.

We are going to awaken untold numbers of Americans inside and outside our state borders.  It will take hard work from each and every one of us.  I know that each of you will do your best and give to fullness of your ability given your resources.

We are quickly getting shoots up on the board, and more shoots are coming.  April 17-18 is the big "all hands on deck" weekend of course, but there are many other shoots on the list as well.  As of this moment we are nearing half way to our goal of 35-40, and we are looking all over for more locations to add shoots on the board.

We have a very strong training and administrative core that carried us through 2008 and 2009 but as we have grown, positions have changed and old faces have been replaced by new ones.  I am one of those new faces having taken the State Coordinator position on from Hawkhavn who is now the Regional Coordinator.  Have faith, Hawk is still here with us and also have patience as I am getting up to speed on the 1000+ jobs HH  has been doing behind the scenes all these years.

We also have many new red and green hats not to mention the orange ones just coming up to speed.  Each of you wearing the hat, know that you have earned it but also know you will have many, many opportunities to fill out that current hat and to move up and into new colors.  

We also have some very special opportunities coming up this year that will happen one way or another.  From an IBC to known distance shooting, from border raids to an all Women's shoot - there will be many opportinuties for each of you this year.  Keep your ears open and eyes on the forum.

Now, how will we make this all happen?  It will take each and every one of us working together and towards that end, there are many jobs that will need to get done.  So, let's get to the list:

1. Shoot Staffing:  I need to know what shoots each and every one of the Indiana green/red/orange hats can do.  Not all the shoots are up on the list yet, but you can start your list now.  Each of you knows what the program needs, and each of you know what you can do.  Give all that you can and let me know what that is.

2. Event Staffing:  I also need to know what events, particularly the 1500's, people can do.  You do NOT have to be a rifleman/riflewoman, instructor, or anything other than an Appleseeder to help with a 1500.  Please stand up and understand the importance of these events to our 2010 program as these are one of our most critical recruiting tools.  Event staffers are the faces of our program and key in getting people to come and attend our shoots.  This is vital work and can be done by any Appleseeder as it is not physically challenging or particularly difficult work.  It is, however, VITAL.  Step up, and sign up for a 1500, please!

3. Promotions Coordination: Beyond the 1500's and websites, there is still a great deal of promotions work that needs to be done.  Flyers, news releases, and event promotion are all work that has been rather untapped in Indiana (to my knowledge) and is work that can be done from home.  For each of us that has family and would love any kind of work that can be done from home - this is it!  Please contact me if you can help with this.  Some of this can be done with a simple internet connection and if you can read this message, then you have met the requirement!

3. Border Raids & Cross Pollination: For the instructors, we are asking each of you to pick one event to staff that is either out of state, or at least at a range or with a crew that you have not worked with before.  There is immeasurable benefit to seeing how other states do things and sharing with them how we do things.  Nothing could ruin our program more than inbreeding.  Now, as it turns out, IL will be having a big event that will be the perfect opportunity for this kind of cross pollination.  But please watch for Ohio events (learn from Dinky Dao & Meanstreaker) or head down to Kentucky (follow Mudcat's example), and so on and so forth.

4. Known Distance: We will be doing this far more often this year.  Get ready now!  If you are an instructor who has not done the KD training, let me know ASAP so we can get you up to speed.  If you are a shoot boss and are not sure how to modify your COF to add KD in, please let me know.  KD is old school and a whole bunch of fun not to mention an experience that newer shooters never forget.  I am excited to see it coming back to front and center!

5. Working up through the ranks:  IIT's, watch for IBC's in Indiana and in nearby states.  Those who cannot make IBC's, be sure to do your paperwork before each event.  Our core training corps is solid but it will go through tremendous growth this year.  We will need each and every one of you keeping an eye on what you need to do to get you up through your IIT levels and into that red hat.  We want you in that red hat.  We need you in that red hat.  We will help you in every way we can, but the first thing we need is your help - and your PC checks.  O0

6. Use the Forum: As we grow, the forum has become central to organizing efforts for the Appleseed Program.  This is true on the state level as well.  PLEASE CHECK THE FORUM ONCE A WEEK THIS YEAR!  If you are off the forum, you are not exactly off the radar but you are close to flying under it.  Please use the forum, this will be more vital as the year goes on.  And, the Indiana state forum is all of ours.  Create a thread as you need to.  Make this forum hop with activity.  Bring in new ideas, and be active.  But as a very minimum, CHECK HERE WEEKLY.  Thanks.

7. SOM SOM & Have Fun: This is going to be a wild ride of activity.  As it goes each of needs to remind ourselves of what matters - the mission of saving our nation.  We all know what that means, just please remember it.  And, while you are doing it, have some fun.  Because this year is going to be fun!

Now, that being said.  Please, look at this list and be serious about it.  Dedicate yourself to our joint purpose now and start taking on the tasks that you can do.  And if there are tasks you are unsure you can do - sign up.  Taking on a job a little bigger than you are comfortable with is merely a chance to test those rifleman skills of endurance and perseverance.  Ask me why I took on the State Coordinator's job!   ;)

And finally, let me thank each of you now. Your hard work and dedication is not taken for granted.  Each of us has family, work, and duties that compete for the little amount of time we have in our week.  I do not take lightly what time you have to dedicate to the program.  At the same time, we need every single hand working on the bailing if we are to complete our task.  So, please, know that I appreciate what you can give, but don't be mad if you get asked for a little more as well.

So, 2010 is here.  If you are an instructor start signing up for shoots and drop me a PM with your schedule as well.  If you can work the table at a 1500, let me know now via PM.  If you can do promotions - PM me.  If you need something - PM me.  

I hope to hear from each of you soon, and I look forward to seeing you all on the trail during this amazing year,

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

These are the the Shoots we need to Staff:

Evansville, IN - Mar 27-28   
Cloverdale, IN - Apr 17-18   
Evansville, IN - Apr 17-18   
Fort Wayne, IN - Apr 17-18
Wabash, IN - Apr 17-18
Riley, IN - Apr 24-25   
Cloverdale, IN - Jun 26-27   
Riley, IN - Jul 24-25
Cloverdale, IN - Aug 21-22   
Evansville, IN - Aug 21-22   
Evansville, IN - Sep 25-26
Wabash, IN - Oct 16-17 
Cloverdale, IN - Oct 23-24   
Evansville, IN - Oct 23-24   
Evansville, IN - Nov 13-14   
Riley, IN - Nov 27-28

And these Are the Current 1500's:

March 19-21
June 4-6
Aug 27-29
Oct 22-24

And one last thing we need:

Ranges:  We need people to help liaison between us and new ranges.  We need people who can make the presentations, make the friends, and do the pre-shoot inspections.  Ranges are critical, and without more of them, we will be limited in our expansion.  Mudcat has shown how a skilled person can help find and secure new ranges.  Remember - Appleseed is good for us, for the ranges, and for the nation.  It is a win-win-win.

Thanks again, look forward to hearing from you all!

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.