News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cresco, IA - AAR September 30 - October 1 2023

Started by Ames, October 02, 2023, 10:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ames

It was a little odd to have temps in the high 80's/low 90's for a fall Appleseed in northern Iowa.  Ironically, the temps at last year's event in Cresco were in the 70's… in August!  But this year produced three new rifleman compared to two new rifleman last year.  So perhaps the heat is conducive to marksmanship.  Who knew.

Shooters began showing up before 8am and by 8:30am we kicked off the welcome and safety briefing and were shooting our first target of the day shortly after that.   From then on, shooters learned the fundamentals of marksmanship and important lessons on the history of April 19, 1775.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with this group.  We had tremendous fun!

Congrats to Scott, Terri and Lauren for earning their rifleman patch!  They scored 215, 219 and 219 respectively.  Scott would go on to achieve his highest score of the event with a 233!  Redcoat targets weren't safe either.  Terri cleared it three times, Mike two times and Lauren two times.  Outstanding!  Again, it must have been the heat.  ;-)

Sincere thanks to the Cresco Wildlife Club for hosting us.  The partnership is greatly appreciated and valued!

Ames

Thank you to Terri and Scott for taking photos of our event!

Ames

Burnett

It was unnecessarily hot and sunny on Saturday, but it was a good shoot. 7 shooters Saturday and an 8th on Sunday.
If I remember correctly, a father/son pair were the only 2 that had not been to an Appleseed before. The first day, the father was shooting a 10/22 with a scope and the son was shooting one with the factory sights. On Sunday they exchanged rifles and I have to say, the dad did better with those factory what-ever-they're-called things than I've seen anyone do.
Mike, down on the other end of the line was shooting an air rifle of some sort. It was kind of neat when he'd be the only one firing, you'd hear that springy twang and not much else.
Next to him was Sam running a CZ bolt action something-or-another with a 25.5" barrel and a suppressor on there. I kidded him about his muzzle being most of the way to the target line. He had aperture sites and was shooting left-handed, so he had to reach over the rifle each shot, BUT he ran the ever lovin' sh..... snot out of that thing.
Next two on the line were Terri and her husband Scott; they pretty much manage the range where the shoot was held. They both shoot NRL22 in addition to other shooting sports. This was their second event, and both shot Rifleman this weekend. Big congratulations to them. And a bigger THANKS for helping us get up there and using the range.
Now we move onto Ken; a gentleman of 76 years of age that did quite well. He didn't make the score, but he progressed and enjoyed himself. He is retired from the industry in which I work and so it was kind of nice to converse with him.
Sunday added Lauren to the line. This was her third shoot; or maybe second and a half shoot? Last year she brought her husband's then 82-year-old grandfather with her, and he just watched and loaded magazines for her. They really seem to be kindred spirits and he refers to her as his "Favorite Grandson". Two weeks ago, they both shot at the event in Rochester, MN, and the now 83-year young Elwood got up and down with the younger crowd and did pretty well. Lauren got close to Rifleman there. They were both going to shoot Sunday, but unfortunately grandpa was stung in his trigger hand the day before and with the swelling and pain, he just watched again. On the last AQT, a rapid fire, Lauren shot a 219. I have to say, as the instructor that has worked with her at her three events, I'm proud of her perseverance and determination and am happy that I got to kind of guide her along the path to Rifleman.
I of course enjoyed working with Mark and Cort; a couple of good guys there. The Philly Cheesesteak pizza at the instructor dinner was great.
All in all, a good way to spend a weekend.

M1bzrk

Kudos to all.  Looks like you all had a great time and 3 out of 8 shot RM!  Photos really help the AAR.
Always wondered where Cresco was... Again, well done.

ProudPapa14

Congrats all.  Looks like a great event.  Special Congrats to Lauren for persevering and getting that rifleman score.  Well done.  I hope Elwood is doing better.

Tee

Thanks again to Ames and his crew for all their hard work! Good to see us girls show the boys how to shoot this weekend!  ;) Congrats Lauren! Of course Hubby had to outdo me by boosting his score on Sunday after I got Rifleman score higher than his from Saturday!