News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

De Soto, KS - AAR - Sep 23-24, 2023 (KD)

Started by Captain, September 26, 2023, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

The First Kansas Appleseed Known Distance Event is officially over! The fantastic Mill Creek Rifle Club High Power Range was the sight of an Appleseed Known Distance. This is a beautiful range that appears almost more golf course than shooting range. A big thanks to Mill Creek for their support of the Appleseed mission and hosting us. The line of fifteen shooters was comprised of Kansas Appleseed Cadre and other shooters from the area, most of whom had attended previous Appleseed events and clinics. The Mill Creek Club was also well represented with shooters; some curious to see what the event was about and others who are already Appleseed volunteers.

I managed to take a few photos. You can click to see them bigger and click again to shrink back. The first is a group photo taken on the second day. More photos to be posted as I get caught up. Please add your photos and comments!

Group photo on Sunday

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated. - Thomas Paine
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Bullit

This was a great event and opportunity to shoot longer ranges for the first time. Thanks Captain for coming out and helping the KS crew be able to run these ourselves in the future.

Here's a shot I took at the 400 yard line after the flags were up and Captain was clearing the line.

Captain

We started the weekend talking about the Rifleman's Quarter Mile and the Three Challenges. Our time in the classroom was slightly extended by some unexpected severe thunderstorms rolling through. We did eventually get out on the range and get behind our rifles.

The first order of business was to see who would join Morgan's Rifle Company . . .

Two shooters managed to connect on their first shots of the day . . .

Two new members of Morgan's Rifle Company

The rest of the day was spent gathering data on our rifle/ammunition combination.

Earning the Known Distance patch on Day 1! Huzzah!

If we should lose liberty in America, there won't be any free place left to escape to. ~ Mellow Yellow - Cuban Refugee/American/Appleseeder

Captain

The second day, we were treated to some beautiful weather. We started off with another cold bore shot and . . .

Seven shooters, half the line connected with the shingle! Great shooting.

More shooting . . .

Five more shooters get their Know Distance patch and two shoot Distinguished!! Great morning.

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.~ Samuel Adams

Captain

The day warmed up and we found some shade to grab lunch and hear some stories from the founding of the nation.

We worked through an exercise to practice range estimation along with some more opportunities to attempt AQTs. Two more shooters earned their patch.

If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Captain

Here's a compilation of the Sunday shooting . . .

Captain

A couple more from over the range - sweet range!

M1bzrk

It's obvious you had a great shoot.  Kudos to all Kansas Riflemen.  Great pics of a fabulous range and a grand group of Patriots.  HUZZAH!

DUSM

A great bunch of attendees with lots of knowledge shared.

A special thanks to Captain for making the trek and to Rattler317 for his extensive efforts and coordination in making this happen.

A few images captured by Becki.
"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives." â€"John Adams

"We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists." -Patrick Henry

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

DUSM

Some more photos from another participant, Morris.
"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives." â€"John Adams

"We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists." -Patrick Henry

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."