News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Why no Appleseeds nearer to Lexington?

Started by SpookyPistolero, October 21, 2011, 05:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpookyPistolero

More specifically, why not at BGSL in Wilmore?   Lexington is surely full of folks that would love to partake, but for whom a 2hr each-way drive is prohibitive. 

dond

I have just recently been informed that they are operating again. Do you have contact information for them? I also understand that there are a couple of other nearby ranges that we could approach. At the moment I don't have the names of those ranges handy. I will check on that information though.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Unbridled Liberty

Part of the problem is that Kentucky has no state coordinator at this time to set anything up.  I talked to the appropriate individual at BGSL a few months ago, and he gave a tentative green light, and I passed his contact info on to the most appropriate Appleseed person I know.  I believe he is working on it, but his plate is full with his own state.

Outside of BGSL, some things that are possibilities in Lexington are an indoor Appleseed, a LEO-only Appleseed, a Libraryseed, and an ROTC-only Appleseed in Williamsburg.  I have a bunch of range contacts for central Kentucky, but no way to make anything happen. 
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mudcat

I had the chance to set up shoots near Lexington in Mt. Vernon and Cynthiana but no one to staff them. We had shoots at both locations last year.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

GarandFan

The range at BGSL in wilmore has been approached before for an appleseed event.  I agree that it's a great range to host such an event.  I believe brdholman met with the board at the range on several occasions.  The final resolution was that they wanted one instructor for every two shooters.  Thus you would need 7 instructors for as little as 15 shooters.  Currently we can only get 3 to 5 instructors/IIt's for any event in Ky regardless of the number of registered shooters.  The BGSL has quite a large organization of members.  I think the only way to to host an event there is to get one of the decision makers to attend an appleseed.  They could then witness that a handful of volunteers could run and manage a safe event.     
A rusty rifle is a rusty rifleman.  Now go shoot.

SpookyPistolero

I wonder if Bud's ("The Gun Warehouse") would let us do it in their open-area range?  Don't know what cost, if any, would be associated.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: SpookyPistolero on November 06, 2011, 11:09:06 AM
I wonder if Bud's ("The Gun Warehouse") would let us do it in their open-area range?  Don't know what cost, if any, would be associated.

I have talked to them about this and they said "yes".  Just need someone to schedule it and staff it.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

yellowhousejake

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on November 07, 2011, 06:02:20 PM
Quote from: SpookyPistolero on November 06, 2011, 11:09:06 AM

I have talked to them about this and they said "yes".  Just need someone to schedule it and staff it.

Keep a list of these ranges, we will get staffing and when we do, we will need ranges. Always looking forward  ;)

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ