News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FENTON, MI Rifle Event September 17-18.

Started by Rangerat67, September 25, 2022, 08:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerat67

The Fenton Appleseed Rifle Event was a success!  The group of shooters were very safe and percentage wise, we had a high number of shooters qualify as Rifleman! 

The event started with the pledge, introductions, presentations of the safety rules, and steps to making a safe rifle.  The students demonstrated throughout the weekend that they understood and respected the safety standards of Appleseed.  Our goal is that these safety standards become lifelong habits to be shared with the shooting community.

The students than formed up at the firing line for the first target of the day, the Redcoat.  The instructors could immediately tell that this was a group that came prepared.  The instructors transferred their marksmanship knowledge and the students worked hard to take it all in.  In addition to the marksmanship instruction, the story of Lexington and Concord on April 19th, 1775 was presented.  Who can forget the sacrifices of so many to preserve our freedom.

This group was ready for the first AQT!  Addney scored a 227 on the first Saturday AQT and he then followed that up with a 235.  Number6 was warned to make sure he had a distinguished patch for Sunday and sure enough, Addney received one with a 245!  Earning a distinguished patch is no easy task.  Only a very small percentage of shooters manage to achieve this goal.  Based on the events I have attended, I would put the percentage at <2%.

On the second AQT on Saturday, Jeremy demonstrated that he had ice in his veins and he scored a 210.  Jeremy was doused with ice water representing the water under the North Bridge.  (It must have been a cold day on April 19th 1775.)

The marksmanship continued to shine on Sunday with Perry scoring a 211 with his iron sighted AR.  Nice job Perry! 

Jeremy requalified on Sunday.  Not to be outdone his son John scored a 223 with a bolt action gun! 

Jacob came to this event specifically to get his patch and he was not disappointed.  Jacob earned his patch with several AQT's in the mid 210's.

Jason broke the instructors hearts with multiple 209's and coming ever so close to the coveted 210.  You will get it next time!

Daniel, Paul, James, Justin, and Luke made steady progress.  Scoring Rifleman is no easy task but a Rifleman persists!  Practice, practice, practice, and sign up for a future event and keep working on your marksmanship skills and you will score +210 at a future event.

For the fun shoots, congratulations to Addney for winning "Know Your Limits" and to Jacob and Luke for winning Parkers Revenge! 

Number6 reported that the shooters ignored the fatigue and really focused on the Redcoat at the end of the day Sunday.  Out of ten shooters, three cleared the final Redcoat and eight qualified as Morgan's Men!  Wow!

Three Huzzahs to Pocket Watch, Pookie, and wingwrench for volunteering to help at this event!  Your history was inspiring and you marksmanship instructions were well presented and helped five out of eleven earn a Rifleman Patch.

It was great to meet all of you!  Hopefully, the shooters enjoyed the weekend as much as number6 and I did and we will see you again at a future event.

Huzzah!

Rangerat67

Rangerat67

Pictures!

https://imgur.com/a/lkYHsUp

The pictures did not upload.  My internet is very slow.  I added a link to view them.

Rangerat67

Pictures!

https://imgur.com/a/vFqDK4F

The pictures did not upload.  I added a link.

Zorak

I'm Jason (of the twin 209s) and I want to thank all the instructors. You were great. This was my first Appleseed and I hadn't shot from the prone position since I was a kid with a BB gun in my parents' backyard. On my first redcoat target, I was so eager to prove my shooting prowess that I couldn't even clean the 100 yard section. As the instructors were about to explain, trying harder doesn't make one shoot better, relaxing does. Getting my score up to a 209 shows how well the instructors taught, and how well the classic techniques work.

There were too big things I think that kept me from getting that one point, and they had nothing to do with the program. One, I was poorly rested. The rest of my life was a little hectic and I showed up on the first morning already tired. Two, I wanted that patch too badly. After lunch on Sunday, when I should have been doing my best shooting, I was all up in my own head, being angry with myself over my mental lapses. I took some deep breaths, accepted that it wasn't my day, and while my shooting didn't improve, my mood did. I'm looking forward to trying again, and next time, I'll be better rested. :)