News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbiana, AL April June 3-4 2017 AAR

Started by headshot heather, June 06, 2017, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headshot heather

It was a great weekend at Shelby County Sheriffs Department Training Center this past weekend, with a small class who showed a lot of skill.  3 shooters filled the line both days. The forecast for Shelby County, Alabama this weekend was supposed to be 50% rain for the better part of the day Saturday and 70% Sunday. We were lucky and the rain held off for us until the last AQT on Saturday, but thanks to Shelby County Sheriff's Dept. Training Center, the firing line and instructional areas were covered and we were able to stay dry except for posting/pulling that final target. Because our shooters were so skilled and great listeners, we were able to get to not one, but TWO AQTs before the storms rolled in. As a result, onlyNONscout was able to retire his blue hat (that we weren't quick enough to even get on his head) and replace that with an orange hat because he scored a solid rifleman score of 222 on the first AQT and later followed up with a 226 and 228 the next day.

Sunday dawned a bit cooler with steady rain picking up right around noon, however we were able to hear the Dangerous old men stories as well as a sample KD after which all shooters expressed great interest in signing up for the KD events coming up in Talladega.

Quite a few rounds went downrange, 452 to be exact, and we saw some big improvements in Redcoat Scores by the end of the day, going from 1 100-yard shooter and one 400 yard shooter (with one shingle-shot) in Saturday morning to two 300-yard shooters and two shingle shots Sunday morning.

All in all, the improvement seen from the other two shooters on the line (scoring 201 and 209 on the first AQT), makes me believe we'll have a two more riflemen in the next few months.  Point of note: the 201 was shot with a bolt action. It was pretty cool to watch

Thanks to Jeff and Bob for coming out to shoot and learn about our heritage with us and thanks to GlockMike, tlawley, and onlyNONscout for volunteering to make this event possible. Couldn't have done it without yall. Special thanks to Shelby County Sheriffs Department and Sheriff John Samaniego for having us at their incredible facility, always a pleasure.

Group Photo

Michael aka onlyNONscout with his patch and orange hat

the ultimate in feminine protection, .22 for light days, .45 for heavy days
"A republic if YOU can keep it"- Benjamin Franklin
"My idea of gun control is hitting what I aim at"- tlawley

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

onlyNONscout

Thanks Rusty! And a special thanks to all the RWVA instructors who helped me through it!

T.J. 8

Congrats Michael! I knew you would get it this time!

BluegrassColonel

My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

AH1Tom